SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC - Saturday Revenge Game

cowboys5xsbs

1 hour ago, rhoeps said:

The game was sold out (actually oversold) and CC has averaged over 100% of capacity for the year. Per usual UND was well represented at the arena, the empty seats you saw had been occupied by UND fans that cleared out early once CC got a four goal lead.

I noticed all the empty seats in the 1st/2nd period.  Not just once CC had the lead in the 3rd.
Must have been "paid" attendance vs "actual" attendance.

6 hours ago, KetoChronos said:

CC is a team that no one wants to play. I’m a Denver fan and know that is the truth. People lose sight of the fact that Kaiden Mbereko is not just another goaltender. Watch this sophomore play and you realize that you are watching a future NHL All Star. UND put up 45 shots. It wasn’t at all a lackluster effort. They just couldn’t beat Mbereko. 

It’s the Defense on both sides. Half of those shots were layups.

32 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

It’s the Defense on both sides. Half of those shots were layups.

This doesn’t diminish my opinion that Embereko is the top goaltender in the conference but I agree, so many shots on him were logo buster-type shots. Need to shoot some low at his feet and hope for some garbage goals.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I never played goalie in any official capacity but doesn't "shots to the crest" indicate that the goalie was well positioned?

Oh yah, and you make a good point on that. Embereko is such a positionally sound goalie, it’s ridiculous. Might be one of the best goalies I’ve seen over the years.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Godsmack said:

This doesn’t diminish my opinion that Embereko is the top goaltender in the conference but I agree, so many shots on him were logo buster-type shots. Need to shoot some low at his feet and hope for some garbage goals.

For sure, a lot of shots that didn't make him move or make it easier to get a rebound on him.
I don't remember many instances at all where he was called on to make a "difficult" save, most were right into him with little or no screen.
If you're gonna beat a goalie of his caliber, you need to get guys in front of him and take away his eyes.

I still can't believe that 3rd period implosion last night.  They had the opportunity right in front of them to salvage the entire weekend...and instead just watched it turn into another rout.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

I noticed all the empty seats in the 1st/2nd period.  Not just once CC had the lead in the 3rd.
Must have been "paid" attendance vs "actual" attendance.

I guess I was at a different arena, it looked pretty full to me. 

On 2/18/2024 at 5:21 PM, brianvf said:

This stat is crazy to me:

They have the same number of losses to CC as the entire rest of their schedule.

Reminds me of the stat that UND played four NCAA tournament games under Berry in the 2016 title run and has played only four more NCAA tournament games in total since then.

On 2/18/2024 at 9:34 AM, Wilbur said:

I really don't think it was the goaltending this weekend.  Whatever guy got put in would have been lit up with our collective d zone play (everybody).  

He and many others have to be better.  In hockey it's way too easy to blame the netminder.  "Ohh, they have 2 goals on 3 shots!!!!??!!!"  Well what if that was three breakaways?  Or three screened shots from the point?  A goalie is supposed to stop 90% of all 2-0 breakaways against him?

I completely agree with your point, 100%. He does make some pretty acrobatic saves. But he’s also flopping around quite a bit and his rebound control is below avg. He was hot early on but has definitely been very very avg for quite some time now. His season stats are very avg for a top 5 team in the country.

• Upvote 3