SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Sioux-Bulldog Playoff Analysis

dagies

especially with a home crowd behind them. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the crowd going to be a factor? I can already see the complaints now. The students were gone. The season ticket holders need to get in the arena. REA sucks and ruins the atmosphere. :lol:

I think we should do a big thunder line with Zajac, Stafford and Porter on the other wing and have them really rock UMD's small forwards on the forecheck.

I watched UMD's win over Denver on TV a few weeks ago and saw UMD run a nifty little power play trick play where Schwabe and some other forward both went behind the net and each went out a different way for the wraparound and the goalie couldn't tell who had it or which way to go. Schwabe stuffed it home.

I hope Dave's seen this tape and knows about this play if we are in a tight game. Has anyone else seen them run this play?

The 7-11 portion of the money line was reunited at the AHL all star game and they picked up right where they left off.

Phil Kessel can't hold ZP's jock!

They've only shown glimpses this year.  However, one of those glimpses was against Duluth.  I think they can light the lamp a few times, especially with a home crowd behind them.  We'll see.  I hope Brady and Colby are ready!  They are KEY.

I agree that this team has shown that they can score against Duluth. The Fri night game at the DECC could have been worse than 5-1 if UMD's goalie hadn't made some really nice saves. The Sioux were essentially toying with UMD on offense. I would like to see that UND offense again against UMD this weekend.

If not for a few mental defensive breakdowns in the Sat game (including one with 30 sec left :lol: ), the Sioux would have walked away with 4 points.

I watched UMD's win over Denver on TV a few weeks ago and saw UMD run a nifty little power play trick play where Schwabe and some other forward both went behind the net and each went out a different way for the wraparound and the goalie couldn't tell who had it or which way to go.  Schwabe stuffed it home. 

I hope Dave's seen this tape and knows about this play if we are in a tight game.  Has anyone else seen them run this play?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have run it a couple other times...including against Wisco last weekend. A nifty little play when it works. Mannino was crossed up like a priest at the altar!! :lol:

last weekend on the radio the SCSU announcers were going nuts at one point because Parise was laying face down on the ice and had done the splits with each skate against a post.

That won't leave very much room to sneak the puck in

last weekend on the radio the SCSU announcers were going nuts at one point because Parise was laying face down on the ice and had done the splits with each skate against a post.

That won't leave very much room to sneak the puck in

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except for the upper 36 inches on the net... :lol:

Sioux tattoo...nice sig.  Are you sure tDogs have NEVER won it??  :lol:  I thought surely they had at least ONE.  I went to bed after the thrid OT against RPI.  Didn't tDogs win that game??  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have been a little sensitive lately. Tell your sister to bring you a beer. :D

Sioux tattoo...nice sig.  Are you sure tDogs have NEVER won it??  :lol:  I thought surely they had at least ONE.  I went to bed after the thrid OT against RPI.  Didn't tDogs win that game??  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RPI or Bowling Green?? :D, cmon dogz, it's all in good fun leadin up to this weekends series.

WHO'S HOT?

Schwabe

You daaaaaaaaaaamn right!

And thanks for crunching numbers for those of us who live for stats.

MDU likely needs to win the Broadmor to make the tourney,

Please stop calling them MDU. It's not Minnesota Duluth University.

Brady Murray is going to blow up this weekend.  Hat trick on Friday.  Zajac will score 4 pp goals in the series.  Prpich will score 2.

GWG Friday:  Murray

GWG Sat: Caig

GWG Sun:  Mcmahon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHHAHAHAH TJ Caig?:D?:)?

While I won't say Friday night makes the weekend for either team, I think it is darn near critical.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said before, if the 'Dogs lose Friday, I won't be too concerned. The 'Dogs lose a lot of Friday games and win more of the Saturday games. The Sioux win a lot of Friday games and lose more of the Saturday games. Friday is more of a must-win for you folks. Not that I wouldn't love to see the 'Dogs win on Friday.

there's nothing like having a hot goalie going into the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That totally sucks, because Isaac is uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuglyyyyyyy.

Schwabe stuffed it home. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please, do not tease me like that.

Sioux tattoo...nice sig.  Are you sure tDogs have NEVER won it??  :D  I thought surely they had at least ONE.  I went to bed after the thrid OT against RPI.  Didn't tDogs win that game??  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummmmmmmm I'd like to apologize because my brother doesn't know 'Dogs history. And yeah, he was like 3 when they were in the championship game, so I'm sure he did go to bed early. ;)

It's been said before so I'll repeat what was said:

The key to beating Reichmuth is to get him off of his game. The key to do that is to score early and rattle him up a bit.

I know that's been tough since we've only like got the first goal in a game, what, 5 times this season? 6? Not many.

Since UMD plays us hard every time we play, we can't do the usual and start off the game trailing.

NOTES

The Sioux average about the same number of shots per game as Duluth gives up.  So I say the Sioux will get at least 2 if not 3 goals per game.  (28 shots x .904 saves% = 25.3 saves = 2.7 goals scored by the Sioux)

Bulldogs will need to put up 35 or more if Parise is on his game to win.  (Using conservative numbers of shots and a conservative saves % below his recent average = 35 shots x .91 saves% = 31.85 saves = 3.15 goals scored by Duluth). Remember that Parise is on a .955 saves% over his last 4 games.....

Ok, I was right about how many shots we'd put up. Missed a bit on the Duluth goalie saves%. That's a GOOD miss. :lol:

Hakstol talked about the Massen-Canady-Fabian line being one of the best lines for the Sioux recently.  In the last 4 games they have combined for a 2-4-6 line which doubled their combined point production for the whole year.  Bina has contributed 4 assists on his own in the last 6 games.
These guys had a 3-4-7 line just for the weekend!

KEYS FOR THE BULLDOGS

Move the puck, and throw rubber at the net.  Clean up rebounds.

Don't give up odd man chances.

Answer Sioux goals quickly to keep the crowd out of the game

1. Didn't happen. Total of 37 shots for the weekend. They needed that PER GAME.

2. Didn't get to see enough of the games to know how well they did this.

3. Didn't do this.

KEYS FOR THE SIOUX

Parise must continue his hot play

Offense must put up 30+ shots and create good chances (MCF line and Bina must continue effective play)

Maintain strong penalty killing

1. Did this. I think about a .919 saves% on the weekend.

2. Did this. I think they got 30-31 shots per game. The Horsemen were very good.

3. Ok at this. Sioux killed 5 of 7 Dog PP's on the weekend.

Sioux win in 3, every game 1 goal differential.

Missed on this, but who's going to rip me for THAT?! :huh:

1. Didn't happen. Total of 37 shots for the weekend. They needed that PER GAME.

2. Didn't get to see enough of the games to know how well they did this.

3. Didn't do this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah that #2 would be one of the Dogs' major problems, especially the first night. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAy too many odd man rushes.