SiouxSports.com Forum

Fans

cjsol

Did anyone else see the ESPN story last weekend on JJ Redick from Duke?

And some people think the hockey fans at REA are bad??? The next time someone complains about our fans, we should show them the tape of that interview.

Go SIOUX!

Did anyone else see the ESPN story last weekend on JJ Redick from Duke?

And some people think the hockey fans at REA are bad???  The next time someone complains about our fans, we should show them the tape of that interview.

Go SIOUX!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see it. Please explain or if the story is still there please provide a link.

It was a story on how he is treated by opposing fans when Duke travels. Chants like FU JJ (clap clap clapclapclap) while shooting freethrows. Signs that say, "I had sex with your sister" (who is only 12 years old). It was brutal.

It was a story on how he is treated by opposing fans when Duke travels.  Chants like FU JJ (clap clap clapclapclap) while shooting freethrows.  Signs that say, "I had sex with your sister" (who is only 12 years old).  It was brutal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't JJ the best player on Duke? Duke happens to be a lot like the Detroit Red Wings and the NY Yankees but in a college hoops venue, no?

Doesn't excuse the behaviors, but you can't expect sunshine and flowers wherever Duke travels.

Besides, even if the fans were all hoitytoity, basketball still sucks.

this happens to every star player out in sports..hes espn's golden child and i am sure he will get over it.every big time payer gets this treatment..poor little JJ.move this thread to "BASKETBALL"

ESPN does love Duke, not really the point though.

The sister comment is beyond bad, if the person who had the sign knew how old JJ's sister was. If not, it was dumb, but not that big of a dael. The worst one I thought was the student who had a shirt with JJ's picture on it that said "I"m gonna name my kid JJ" on the front and "And beat him every day" on the back. JJ summed it up well though about the people who call him at 3 in the morning to tell him he sucks, "Get a Life." :lol:

Just a question, when we taunted Jeff Finger for getting himself locked in the airport bathroom or when UMD fans taunted Brandt for the pulltabs, was that personal life? Much more importantly though, I'm gonna be on the penalty box this weekend, what should I taunt the UMD players about? :lol:

Much more importantly though, I'm gonna be on the penalty box this weekend, what should I taunt the UMD players about? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you need to do a lot to prove yourself this weekend. When your hero was speared at center ice and you didn't jump on the ice to defend him, you sunk to the level of being just a regular fan. :lol:

The sister comment is beyond bad, if the person who had the sign knew how old JJ's sister was.  If not, it was dumb, but not that big of a dael.  The worst one I thought was the student who had a shirt with JJ's picture on it that said "I"m gonna name my kid JJ" on the front and "And beat him every day" on the back.  JJ summed it up well though about the people who call him at 3 in the morning to tell him he sucks, "Get a Life." :lol:

Just a question, when we taunted Jeff Finger for getting himself locked in the airport bathroom or when UMD fans taunted Brandt for the pulltabs, was that personal life?  Much more importantly though, I'm gonna be on the penalty box this weekend, what should I taunt the UMD players about? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummmm...how about how they play hockey? How about where they play hockey?

I'm not saying you can't bring their personal life into, but don't talk about their sister. That's just wrong.

The sister comment is beyond bad, if the person who had the sign knew how old JJ's sister was.  If not, it was dumb, but not that big of a dael.  The worst one I thought was the student who had a shirt with JJ's picture on it that said "I"m gonna name my kid JJ" on the front and "And beat him every day" on the back.  JJ summed it up well though about the people who call him at 3 in the morning to tell him he sucks, "Get a Life." :lol:

Just a question, when we taunted Jeff Finger for getting himself locked in the airport bathroom or when UMD fans taunted Brandt for the pulltabs, was that personal life?  Much more importantly though, I'm gonna be on the penalty box this weekend, what should I taunt the UMD players about? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll agree to this.

ESPN's Golden Children:

Football:

Oklahoma, USC, Florida State, Miami (OK took Michigan's spot)

Basketball:

Lakers, Duke, Pistons, LeBron, Kobe, and Shaq (last three aren't teams but ESPN doesn't care.)

Hockey:

Who? ESPN doesn't care about hockey. If they do, they'll begrudgingly favor the Red Wings if no New England team is playing better.

Baseball:

Red Sox, Yankees, and.....ESPN has yet to figure out that there are other rivalries and other teams.

Who cares if we are labeled rude fans? Just keep on doing what we are doing. We can't help that we have great fan support and Sioux spirit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to disagree, but that type of fan support only shows ignorance. The Duke fans were great in the past but that crosses the line. Especially about the guy's sister. The real Duke fans should have tossed the guy out on his butt. I would hope Sioux fans are smart enough to be more creative than to simply yell "F-you JJ or JJ" or (whomever) at either a team or a player. You don't need to be crude and rude you can be insulting and creative. Part of the atmosphere at college athletic events should be the fans.

The signs in the past (by the penalty box) were creative and funny. Where have they been this year? I didn't see any that crossed the proverbial line of decency. Did Kuppy outlaw them or didn't those guys get their seats back? Don't tell me some of you guys are graduating in less than 6 years these days. A lot of us were able to cram our 4 years into at least 7. Sorry I have to cut this short but they feed us at 6 here at the Nursing home.

It was Maryland fans who cheered FU JJ and had the signs. JJ Redick plays for Duke, so I"d hope his own fans aren't doing that. :lol:

As far as the signs, all the people who care about and would hold the signs, didn't get seats because of the way tickets were given out this year. I'll be on the penalty box this weekend though and would be happy to have signs. Especially one that says "Bulldogs are people, not mascots". :lol:

I remember going up to the old Ralph and watching a Sioux Goofer game and I think it was Hauser that was in net, if I'm not mistaken. And I clearly remember hearing the Sioux student section yelling "Hau-ser, Hau-ser, Hau-ser...SUCKS $***" Is that anywhere near Maryland fans yelling "FU-JJ" ? Just curious. It did make me chuckle though when I was there. And frankly, kids will be kids, although I do think the sister comment was a little over the top. JMO.

I agree that kids will be kids and that the sister thing was way over board.  But let them have some fun.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks to Diggler for correcting my Duke Maryland mistake. You gotta understand that here at the nursing home they put salt peter in the mashed potatoes and we get confused easily. (They started doing that after 4 of us got excited and tipped the trays off of our laps watching reruns of Golden Girls. That Bea Arthur is hot!). I have secured a pass for tonight and Nurse Ratchet and I will attend the game and watch for your sign. I got a chuckle out of it.

Jack, these are not kids. Saying someone sucks is OK. Screaming F--- You at the opposition is ignorant and shows no class. Our fans are smart enough to come up with more clever taunts that that . The Sioux fans have been great over the years and the students have been fun to listen to. If I sat next to someone who made a sexual remark about an opponents 12 year old sister I would wrap my walker around their neck.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that there are some people who don't like what the students are doing/saying no matter what. Whether it is the 50's, 60's, 90's and whether sucks, FU or anything else is being said, some people don't like what the students are doing. It used to be almost unthinkable that someone said sucks, but students said it in unison. It was thought that saying sucks is completely classless and ignorant. Now saying sucks isn't that big of a deal. Am I wrong? If I'm right, then why is it such a big deal now? Because the NC$$ taking action on it? Because media coverage is so much higher than it used to be?