SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux jerseys...

Let'sGoHawks!

Does anyone else agree with me that the Notre Dame ripoff shouldn't be used by UND anymore? We need our own identity. It is like how Moorhead High or Mayo high school use the U of M logo on their jerseys, it just looks bad and uncreative. Get rid of the Notre Dame logo! We are North Dakota!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else agree with me that the Notre Dame ripoff shouldn't be used by UND anymore?  We need our own identity.  It is like how Moorhead High or Mayo high school use the U of M logo on their jerseys, it just looks bad and uncreative.  Get rid of the Notre Dame logo!  We are North Dakota!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure if you are just trolling for suckers, but the interlocking "ND" was North Dakota's first...Notre Dame can change their logo, maybe something with a leprechaun on it...:0

Not sure if you are just trolling for suckers, but the interlocking "ND"  was North Dakota's first...Notre Dame can change their logo, maybe something with a leprechaun on it...:0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Notre Dame's attempt to preserve its image sends a message to potential offenders: Hands off. Regulating legal use of its logos doesn't just make the University look good; it also protects its exclusive rights to Notre Dame images. The University has about two dozen trademark rights on symbols, including the interlocking `ND,' the leprechaun mascot, the University seal.

Notre Dame Observer

I don't know who came up with it first, but everyone knows it as the Notre Dame logo. I am by no means 'trolling'. I think there are many other options to use besides the interlocking ND. How about the diagonal interlocking UND? We should be original, that is all I'm saying. I refuse to buy any UND stuff with the Notre Dame logo.

I don't know who came up with it first, but everyone knows it as the Notre Dame logo.  I am by no means 'trolling'.  I think there are many other options to use besides the interlocking ND.  How about the diagonal interlocking UND?  We should be original, that is all I'm saying.  I refuse to buy any UND stuff with the Notre Dame logo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Screw Notre Dame and what everyone knows. UND had it first and there is no reason not to continue using it. Different is not necessarily better. Please do not refer to it as the Notre Dame logo. As a Sioux fan you should know better.

Now here's a subject that I've been wondering about.

I can't count anymore how many times people see the interlocking ND and scream "Norte Dame" (which is almost sacrilege where I live) then they see the Sioux on the front of the jersey. "Educated" people then recognize it as North Dakota while those who don't have a clue wonder when Norte Dame added the Sioux to their name.

I have gotten into several discussions as to who "had" the interlocking ND first. Since I never knew for sure, I'm assuming that North Dakota had it prior to Norte Dame based on the discussion on this thread. Now this is good...

Since "we had it first," screw them. I've always liked it. It's only because of the various Norte Dame atheltic programs such as football and basketball that get so much t.v. time and marketing nationwide versus North Dakota. It's all about marketing that leads to recognition of the logo.

Besides, the Sioux would kick Norte Dame's butt in hockey. Never liked them any way.

I completely agree that UND should not use the interlocking ND logo as much. I am not a fan of it. I understand that UND has been using this logo for a very long time. I was at Tower Cafe the other day and they have a picture from 1903 of a sports team and their jerseys had the interlocking ND on them. My biggest complaint is about the football team using it so much, especially now that Notre Dame has unofficially started using green as a school color! UND needs to get some new football uniforms. Ours definately do look too much like a rip off of Notre Dame. Even if we know they aren't a rip off, others may think of them that way. Lots of people make fun of St. CLoud and their logo being a rip off of the Canadians. I would definately like to start seeing UND use the UND flame logo (my avatar) more on uniforms. It would be original to UND and help create a recognition between it and the University.

Lots of people make fun of St. CLoud and their logo being a rip off of the Canadians. I would definately like to start seeing UND use the UND flame logo (my avatar) more on uniforms. It would be original to UND and help create a recognition between it and the University.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just MHO but I disagree. I am not a fan of the UND flame logo. Don't know why, I'm just not. The Sioux hockey unis used to be blatant rip-offs of the Blackhawks, but they were the best (IMHO) college unis EVER!

i would be heartbroken if they ever changed the logo, because like the guy in the motorized wheelchair at all the hockey games, our tatoo's would be all for not. (for those that don't know, his tatoo is of the new logo on his forearm, mine is the same, but on the back of my neck) i would cry :0;)

I think you should think on a more global scale, not so local.  Of course everyone around Sioux sports, myself included, knows it is a UND logo as well as a Notre Dame logo.  But, when I have traveled to other areas and worn the interlocking logo, people have asked me, went to Notre Dame huh?  I have to correct them and say it's North Dakota's logo.  They basically retort with "so you guys ripped it off huh?"  Show that logo around the country, and 99% of people will identify it as the Notre Dame logo.  That is my only point...I still think the jerseys are some of, if not the nicest in all of hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So the fact that you associate with idiots is a reason to change a logo that's been used for nearly 100 years? ;):0

i got stopped at the phoenix open golf tourney a few weeks back and was asked if i was wearing a notre dame shirt but then they noticed the sioux logo..i have no problem with the ND logo. its tradition.

the UND with the flame is boring and not appealing at all. if they had to come up with another logo which i doubt they will, it could be way cooler than the flame logo..

I LOVE Here's an idea for the football uniforms... let's go to an early '80s retro look. Silver helmets with green stripes and the interlocking ND logo in green. Silver pants with green stripes and NORTH DAKOTA across the fronts of the jerseys above the numbers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those silver helmets and pants were probably the ugliest uniforms ever.

Are you obsessed with the 80's?

I LOVE the interlocking ND logo and would be devastated if they ever took it off the football helmets. I like it when ignorant people bring up the fact that it looks like the Notre Dame logo, so that I can correct them and say that the Notre Dame logo actually looks like the North Dakota logo. We had it first, it's as simple as that. Notre Dame is obviously more well known nationally because of their football team, but so what? I don't think I would like to see the indian head on the football helmets. I think that logo should be exclusive to the hockey team. On the hockey jerseys I would actually prefer to see the crossed tomahawks over the letter S on the shoulders. I also like the idea of having the interlocking ND on one shoulder and the crossed tomahawks over the S on the other shoulder. Here's an idea for the football uniforms... let's go to an early '80s retro look. Silver helmets with green stripes and the interlocking ND logo in green. Silver pants with green stripes and NORTH DAKOTA across the fronts of the jerseys above the numbers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would hope they would never revisit those silver uniform colors of the early 80s.

They were and still are quite fugly.

Just MHO but I disagree. I am not a fan of the UND flame logo. Don't know why, I'm just not. The Sioux hockey unis used to be blatant rip-offs of the Blackhawks, but they were the best (IMHO) college unis EVER!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can uniforms be complete rip-offs and be the best ever? You have to question a university that doesn't even have the vision of coming up with its own logos and uniforms. :0

The logo with the flame is really generic and not very appealing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So instead lets use a logo that when everyone sees it they instantly think of a different university?!?!?!?

The interlocking ND logo is the one that is generic. At least the flame logo would be original to UND.

or just get creative and create a new logo and not use the generic, boring flame logo. :0

So instead lets use a logo that when everyone sees it they instantly think of a different university?!?!?!?

The interlocking ND logo is the one that is generic. At least the flame logo would be original to UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

maybe for a alterate jersey but thats it. the jerseys they have now may be the best in college hockey. the blacks are unbelievable but they have not wore those this year if i am correct. i remember coach hakstol saying earlier this season in a interview that they were still waiting for the black jerseys be sent to them.

Personally, I'd like to see unis with just "North Dakota" on the front and the Sioux logo on the shoulders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>