SiouxSports.com Forum

Rivalry juices, part 2

jk

Part 1, of course, was a thread with a few Blais comments about the Gophers that ended up on another board. Turnabout is fair play, so I thought I'd highlight the following Lucia comments from the WCHA preview column on USCHO a few weeks ago. Gee, I wonder which unnamed team he's referring to.

-----------------------------------------------------

"We have enough good players where we don't have to rely on one freshman to carry the mail," Gophers coach Don Lucia said. "We don't need a freshman to come in and be our No. 1 center or quarterback our power play. We have guys returning that can do those jobs."

Gophers forward scoring through 5 games:

Riddle 5-3-8

Guyer 5-1-6

Vanek 3-2-5

Hirsch 1-4-5

Looks like the freshmen are carrying the mail for the Gophers. Guyer leads the team in PP goals with 3, and has been the team's best player. Where are the returning guys who are supposed to be doing those jobs? (I know the Gophers have some injuries.) If Parise played for MN, who do you think would be centering their number one line?

Disclaimer: I still think MN's going to be very good this year. I just think the shot from Lucia shouldn't go unnoticed.

"We have enough good players where we don't have to rely on one freshman to carry the mail," Gophers coach Don Lucia said. "We don't need a freshman to come in and be our No. 1 center or quarterback our power play. We have guys returning that can do those jobs."

Gophers forward scoring through 5 games:

Riddle 5-3-8

Guyer 5-1-6

Vanek 3-2-5

Hirsch 1-4-5

Looks like it's three freshmen, rather than one. And Vanek on the point for the PP. Things don't always work out the way you plan.

Lucia will probably always have the Sioux on his mind after the years at CC.

I believe Donnie was miss-quoted in that piece. I think the quote went something like this:

"We have enough good freshmen where we don't have to rely on one freshman to carry the mail," Gophers coach Don Lucia said. "We don't need a freshman to come in and be our No. 1 center or quarterback our power play. We have three freshmen that can do those jobs."

Translation: one Parise equals one (Guyer+Vanek+Hirsch)

Funny how Lucia changes his tune. When he recruited Parise he told him that he would create a line around him and he would be the go-to freshman and that he would be the guy to "carry the mail." Good thing Parise didn't believe his obvious lies.

Let's face it former Lucia fans...he is now a Gopher. They have turned him.

I wonder if they used the infamous Woog hat trick.

p.s. How drunk is Woog come the 3rd period?

Don't foget the defensive scoring!

As of, Oct. 27th:

Ballard- 10 pts.

P. Martin- 6 pts.

In Minnesota, we have defensmen that can score too. :p

Personally I like UND defenseman, they are concerned more with checking and playing defense, scoring is a secondary concern. I like UND's defense just fine. However, I noticed a few of the boys are getting a few points. I also like the fact that they are limiting the opposition to very few shots on goal. I think that is a plus... I think UND hasn't faced more than 25 shots in any of the 6 games that they have played... That is huge...

I think both teams will figure out who their scorers will be come WCHA play. With the exception of UNH, the Gophs have had an easy schedule.

Parise MAY have some inflated numbers considering the opponents he has faced thus far.

We can check back in a few weeks and see what the points look like.

Bert

I think you are right Bert. From what little I have seen him play, and from comments from others who have watched him play he does look to be a special player. Will he be more special than everyone else? The test of time and teams will be the judge. I'd prefer to put all that talk away for a while and see what is going on around Christmas.

2 tiresome themes lately

1. How great is Parise and how long will he stay?

2. How soft is UND's schedule.

Things are what they are. Let's just play the games, and talk about non-game stuff when there ain't no games to be played.

As of November 4:

Scheider    2-7-9 in 6 games

Fuher     2-3-5 in 6 games

In North Dakota, we have defensemen that can score, too.  :p

I think Andy Scheider is going to have a break out year. You heard it here first folks. I also like the fact that he is not afraid to go into the corners if he has to. Also, I like the fact that UND defense plays defense, and thinks offense second. Nice change from the two senior defense corp members of last year.