SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaches show 10/23

forecheck

Coaches show at Lola's:

Started out with a bunch of joking about how the team is 3-0, and they've won more than the Vikings. Good crowd for an exhibition game (over 7,000), vocal, felt like the old Ralph. Good game against Manitoba, they cycled the puck well, and for as much as Parise was touted, it was nice that he got the first goal in the Ralph this year. Massen didn't play that well in NY, but he had a great game last night. Canady is licking his chops to get in the lineup, Prpich is ready to play again after a groin pull, so guys can't afford to have 2 or 3 bad games in a row. Massen is a good player and needs to play like that all the time. This team has a lot of depth, and it's a great team to play goalie on because of much improved defense. The one goal given up by Siembida, he was completely screened, and he made a great save on a breakaway later.

Niagra is coming off of a disappointing loss, they're a good hockey team, and they outplayed Michigan sometimes in NY. Blais was cheering for Niagra in the Xerox Showcase against MI. The whole underdog thing. :p Talked about how in the 2000 year, the team was looking forward to playing UNH in the playoffs and giving a little payback after their team won some tourney and skated the trophy right in front of the Sioux bench, and sure enough Niagra beats UNH and UND didn't get a chance to play them. CB thinks they are a good team.

The team worked hard this summer, and they're ticked off about last year. Coach Blais really likes the team's attitude. He doesn't know if it's the new freshmen, or older players taking over leadership roles, or the new strength coach that was hired this year, but the attitude is great. Talked again about how the players are getting out on the ice before the coaches during practice, unlike last year. Tim brought up that last year, if we had split with MN, UND would have been in 4th place instead of 8th place. CB mentions that last year was MN's year, they had some great players, and UND lost some great players (Lundbohm and Roche). Last year was a good thing to happen for coaching as well as an eye opener for the team. They know they can't win 25-30 games every year and that they were going to take their lumps with such a young team. This year is a different story.

If you don't bleed green, go somewhere else. This team is looking for guys who want to get better and win. CB thinks the hockey team gets really loyal players, and it's evident when alumni come back and are excited about the team, and sometimes it can be a factor in getting a new player (if the alumni has a son who plays hockey).

It's a hard job to referee, but if you're going to make a call, make doggone sure it's a good one. CB mentioned that last year in MN against the Gophers, he called the ref (not sure which one it was) over to the bench and asked if he felt good about a holding call he made that happened at center ice, and had nothing to do with the play. The ref may have just ended the season for the Sioux. (I thought it was funny, cuz I could just imagine this conversation happening. ;) ) He thinks Schmidt did a good job reffing against Manitoba. This year it's balanced in the WCHA, there's no one team that is way ahead of everyone else, and 7 or 8 losses could still win you the regular season. If we win all of our NC games, it helps a lot for NCAA playoffs later on.

CB doesn't think sitting out a year will affect Colby Genoway. He worked hard last year, stayed in GF this summer and worked out, and he played well last night. They were also impressed with Connelly, and he thinks he's going to have a good year, his shoulder is holding up good. Blais said he didn't even really notice Connelly had 3 assists last night during the game, he seemed to be so busy taking hits. But he played well. Greene will be back this weekend. His shoulder is still a bit sore, but he wants to play. CB told him he doesn't even have to hit anyone, just be out on the ice, he's 6'3", 225. He reminds CB of Commodore as far as his honesty and wit. During the pre-game meal before the Michigan game, CB asked Greene what he thought of the Michigan goalie since he's played against him before. Greene said he's not that good. CB asked why he thought that, and he said he knew right away he was going to come up with a smart comment. Greene said, "Because I can score on him," and the guys all got a laugh out of it.

Brandt will start this Friday. CB isn't saying he's splitting the goaltending duties, the goalies have to earn it. *My thought: It basically sounded like if one goalie plays extremely well Friday night, he could play Saturday night too. Not CB's words, just my thoughts.* They joked about the Purple Eagles: Is there such a bird? :p Niagra is physical, and CB thinks they're going to win their league. This weekend should be a good series. That's about it.

One of the announcers stated that this year there has been absolutely no talk/mention that "by Christmas this will be a good team". If you recall last year there was a lot of stress on that (and it bore out ie. the MI tourney) It was mentioned that even though there are just 3 seniors and 3 juniors, the team is seasoned enough where they are expected to be good team which shouldn't need "until" Christmas to play solid hockey. CB stated that last year they knew they'd take their lumps, and with the strength of the league last year, UND was a 6th place team.

Also regarding the bleed green philosophy, CB said they stress that to be a member of the team you have to be willing to work hard and to go to school/class; the social will take care of itself.

Little bit of discussion on the pressure on a head coach to produce - there are bigger buildings, bigger budgets.... 15 years ago the most successful coaches were Doug W (MN), Gino G (UND), Jeff S (Wis) and Mike S (Duluth) now, only one is still coaching and he isn't at the school where he had "big" success (Duluth) anymore (these guys aren't "old" and they are/were good coaches)

Finally, if you look at the league right now, before any games are played, it is entirely feasible that the league champ could have upwards of 7-8 losses in league play. With a few games played, the league looks like there could be a lot of parity.

*I didn't take notes so all the words, even the ones in quotes, are NOT direct quotes so please don't take 'em out of context. :p

CB thinks the hockey team gets really loyal players, and it's evident when alumni come back and are excited about the team, and sometimes it can be a factor in getting a new player (if the alumni has a son who plays hockey).
Also regarding the bleed green philosophy, CB said they stress that to be a member of the team you have to be willing to work hard and to go to school/class; the social will take care of itself.

There's some fans of another team out there who might find this interesting. Because, of course, Blais mistreats his players and Blais doesn't emphasize academics, only winning. To add to this I was watching a tape of an old game with MN recently and Jeff Panzer was interviewed between periods. He was asked what it was like to play for Blais and he said something very close to "Oh, it's very easy to play for Coach. You always know what he expects from you and what he wants you to do. He knows what it takes to win and is willing to put in the work to win". I'm sure Jeffy hated his time as a Sioux and lost respect for how Blais treated his teammates........

There's some fans of another team out there who might find this interesting.  Because, of course, Blais mistreats his players and Blais doesn't emphasize academics, only winning. To add to this I was watching a tape of an old game with MN recently and Jeff Panzer was interviewed between periods.  He was asked what it was like to play for Blais and he said something very close to "Oh, it's very easy to play for Coach.  You always know what he expects from you and what he wants you to do.  He knows what it takes to win and is willing to put in the work to win".

That is what I like about Blais, is that he expects his players to work hard any thing less an they sit. Interesting concept to some in this day and age. I have heard some of the players say that Blais is a players coach.

I remember after the 2001 NCAA loss to the dreaded Eagles, Blaiser walked up the bench after the loss and consoled his players and told them basically that they did a good job and to keep their chins up. I believe that states volumns about Blaisers character...

I alway love them rubes that say Blais has suspect methods like any of them know any better and talk about how the players leave early because of him (think back to some of them Fournier, Yureko, Bufuglien sp etc).

Whatever, I say hey, consider some of the alternatives Dahl he is a beaut, he couldn't win a tourney game if the other team forfeited. I think we are blessed At UND to have a coach like him... I also have a hunch about the bunch on the ice. I just hope I am home from traveling to witness what I think might happen this season...

There's some fans of another team out there who might find this interesting. Because, of course, Blais mistreats his players and Blais doesn't emphasize academics, only winning. To add to this I was watching a tape of an old game with MN recently and Jeff Panzer was interviewed between periods. He was asked what it was like to play for Blais and he said something very close to "Oh, it's very easy to play for Coach. You always know what he expects from you and what he wants you to do. He knows what it takes to win and is willing to put in the work to win". I'm sure Jeffy hated his time as a Sioux and lost respect for how Blais treated his teammates........

Whoever thinks Blais mistreats his players or doesn't care about academics knows nothing about him. (And their utter ignorance manifests itself in other ways as well.)

It seems quite simple really: He expects 100% efforts from his players on and off the ice. Those who don't meet that standard can expect to be benched, or sometimes be sent packing. Blais is training his players for the harsh realities of life, whether in some company or in an NHL system. You either pull your weight or you're out. Unfortunately, some coaches and "fans" don't really see the virtues of making younger adults responsible for their own lot in life. :p

Coach Blais would be the kind of boss that I'd want.

He has expectations for you, no matter who you are.

They are clearly defined.

Meet them or accept the consequences*.

Expectation, action, result.

* Don't go to class? You run. And maybe the whole team runs with you. Don't put out a legitimate effort on the ice? He'll sit you, no matter who you are, and find someone who will.