SiouxSports.com Forum

world jr. tickets

YaneA

I'm going to give Sioux fans the first crack, before I post on the jr. ticket exchange. A friend just bailed on me for the tournament, leaving me with a lower bowl package for the Big Ralph--prelims, medal round, the works. Every non-exhibition USA & Canada game. It's just one seat, unfortunately, but it's a good one, sec. 114, row F. I'm asking face value only ($455) but if you're entrepreneurial, you could jack the price up as single game tickets while I look the other way. PM me if you're interested.

C'mon, Sioux Hockey fans! The Sioux are out of action until Jan. 7th. It's cold, it's dark, the kids are getting on your nerves. You've got cabin fever or, worse, Seasonal Affective Disorder. I've got the cure. Boost your spirits and get your hockey fix by watching the future of the NHL at the World Junior Tournament. Give yourself the Christmas present you WISH you'd found under the tree. See all 21 games in the beautiful Ralph Engelstad Arena, at a fraction of single-game prices. $455--original face value of the package-- takes it all. One seat, lower bowl, corner: sec. 114, row F, aisle, nearest the blue line. Close enough to smell the sweat and catch the teeth when they fly. E-mail me at ayers@law.UND.edu

rube--thanks ever so for the advice.  I will be there--this is an extra ticket-- just for the hockey.  I'm not a college GUY so 'tang, foreign or domestic, doesn't interest  me. So true what happens when one assumes, eh?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry.I'm done assuming.I should know better,eh.

It doesn't appear that tickets could be given away at this point.

They are expecting less than 1000 per game in Thief River Falls. TRF has hotel vacancies. GF has hotel vacancies.

Tickets on EBAY are not even getting bids.

Pretty sure this will be the last time GF gets this event in particular.

Anyone have guesses as to why? The Canadian exchange is favorable to them, but it doesn't appear that they are taking advantage of that.

Face value is all I'm asking. No takers.

That's weird. Somebody told me that REA officials claimed there would be 250,000 people here for it. I asked them to make sure it wasn't 25,000 (which would still be a lot), and she said they were claiming 250K. :0

I don't know why people won't come to GF. Don't they know there is an air base to protect them? My guess is that most people in GF will complain about the people coming anyway.

It's not that people won't come to GF, it's a matter of actually getting there...figure it out. If you can drive, great. In an international tournament alot of attendees will fly. Let's see, six or eight incoming flights per day, times two in you include Fargo...each plane holds an average of 125 (some are bigger, many are smaller)....that's 2000 people per day...if 25 percent of the projected 250,000 are from points where driving is impractical, it would take more than 30 days just to get them here...

Now I know my numbers are not exact and maybe they are even a long way off, but the concept is correct. The capacity to get people here just doesn't exist. Why do you think Microsoft moved their annual rally out of Fargo...same reason and they are not dealing with even 25,000 (I could be wrong about that, but I don't think its 250,000)...

Just my two cents.

250,000? That number has to be some marketing abstract, like a tournament equivalent of "manhours": it's probably the number of people on each day multiplied by the number of days the tournament runs. 11 days of nonexhibition tournament with say, 22,000 "attracted" to the tournament each day. The number makes sense if you figure that you fill REA for the first game each day, empty it out, then bring in a capacity crowd for the second game. You could count that as 22,000+ people for the day even if the people attending game one are back for game two.

It doesn't appear that tickets could be given away at this point.

Tickets on EBAY are not even getting bids.

Anyone have guesses as to why? The Canadian exchange is favorable to them, but it doesn't appear that they are taking advantage of that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Appears that on the ticket exchange, lots of Canadians are looking for individual games for a day. At $120/night for motel rooms that normally cost in the $40 range, it's no wonder whole package purchasers from out of town are hard to find. I'd expect a price jump at motels for the event, but a 300% increase is a bit much to expect.

I'll be there for the Christmas Day games, but staying in GF at those prices is out of the question.

Would guess there will be good deals on tickets at the door for most games, considering the lack of bids for less than face value tickets on ebay.

Some of the hotels in town took a gamble jacking up their prices at least 2x the going rate. It appears they lost. I have heard several stories of people driving back and forth from Winnipeg and Fargo.

Also the ticket sales are good by WJ tourny standards, but are far from what the REA appeared to hype them up as. In the past weeks I have seen several ads for people dumping tickets asking face value. I friend of my dad was told he HAD to give up his suite by the REA months ago, now they backtracked after not finding a buyer. The problem was is he bought 10 tickets with the money the REA was going to give him for his suite, now the REA is not going to give him anything and he has 10 tickets on top of the suite he cannot get rid of. This is good news for me though, I should be able to get into some of the games for cheap :D

The sales in TRF should be no surprise - no CA/US means few people interested. Look at the US games last year - there were hardly any people at the games in Hameenlinna with Finland and Sweden playing all their games in Helsinki.

The tourny will still likely bring in a lot of $$ for GF and be successful. I'm not sure why the REA keeps puffing up the amount of tickets sold. But then again the REA's business practices have been a mystery to me for the past few years. :0

Appears that on the ticket exchange, lots of Canadians are looking for individual games for a day. At $120/night for motel rooms that normally cost in the $40 range, it's no wonder whole package purchasers from out of town are hard to find. I'd expect a price jump at motels for the event, but a 300% increase is a bit much to expect.

I'll be there for the Christmas Day games, but staying in GF at those prices is out of the question.

Would guess there will be good deals on tickets at the door for most games, considering the lack of bids for less than face value tickets on ebay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went through the G.F. Chamber of Commerce for rooms.She gave me some names of local hotel managers,and when I called hotels and mentioned this,I was able to get a room at the normal rate.

YaneA is absolutely correct in her post about the attendance figures and lawkota's post puts things into perspective.

I believe this tournament will outdraw all other previous tournaments --which is important. Gotta remember, this is junior hockey, not the Olympics or NHL playoffs. It is being held in a relatively small community which is sometimes the case.

MTI Centre drew 15,000 for an exhibition game in Winnipeg the other night!!! I don't expect a whole lot of people to come from Europe but if the Canadian team makes it the medal round.....watch out. You'll see an endless pilgrimmage of Canadians heading this way.

I should retitle this as the "Official Desparation Thread." Also think that if scalping tickets isn't illegal in New York, trying to unload tickets like this should be the first task on next season's "The Apprentice." As Project Manager, I would be SO fired; Carolyn would glare at me throughout the Boardroom because I've "shown her nothing."

I had one nibble from Canada for the Jan 1-4 half of the package and still waiting to hear if the guy will take that set at $230, a steal.

Now ready to sell one fine seat (sec. 114, row F, aisle, nearest blue line) for all Grand Forks prelims (10 games, including 4 Canada, 4 US) at $200 for the set. If interested, e-mail:

ayers@law.UND.edu

Appears that on the ticket exchange, lots of Canadians are looking for individual games for a day.  At $120/night for motel rooms that normally cost in the $40 range, it's no wonder whole package purchasers from out of town are hard to find.  I'd expect a price jump at motels for the event, but a 300% increase is a bit much to expect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in Winnepeg a couple of nights ago and they (Canadians) were extremelly pissed about what the hotels are doing. It sounded like alot of them will be driving back and forth for exactly this reason. I totally understand raising the price when the demand is there, but the price gouging by many is just over the top.

I was in Winnepeg a couple of nights ago and they (Canadians) were extremelly pissed about what the hotels are doing.  It sounded like alot of them will be driving back and forth for exactly this reason.  I totally understand raising the price when the demand is there, but the price gouging by many is just over the top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why I decided to rent out my roommate's room to a couple college boys for the price of our rent....$25. We're not all out to bleed hockey fans dry!

The worst part about the hotels is that it is making GF out to be a bunch of money grubbing turds. The Heraldo said today or yesterday that hotels at this time last year were only like 60 % full. I think filling to capacity would be plenty of extra profit.

I heard that the guy that bought the Plainsmen dump and some other dumpy motel was charging $180 a night. I guess he was hoping to pay off his crap holes.

At the risk of getting 2:00 for slashing [PRICES], I am now announcing that I'm selling the seat for all prelims as single games at $20 each. Ralph's prices are $28-40 and NOT even lower bowl. That's all Canada, all US prelims plus SUI-BLR and CZE-SUI. Sec. 114, row F, on the aisle nearest blue line.

I am a very motivated seller so make me an offer for any of these games. I'll know after noon today whether the January games, including the medal round, are back in play (still waiting to hear from a guy in the Great White North but the deadline for him to act is Noon). I will offer the January games here first.

e-mail: ayers@law.UND.edu