SiouxSports.com Forum

SOOO what ND Kids will be next ?

Fetch

AT UND or end up playing against UND ?

Still Sad to see so many slip away  :angry:

I have heard one of the Best Local Talents is most interested in the Gophers  ???  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if you're from Grand Forks I would say the Jake Marto from GF Central is your local talent. Seems like he's having some troubles with the team surrounding him but he's a fundamentally sound player and he's very smart. Grafton Park River has the two Campbells who are puting up decent numbers. Fargo South has plenty of talented players... Paul Weisgarber looks VERY good but I heard that the paper printed something about him being hurt. I dont suppose anyone can verify that for me?

You have to admit, Lucia has a pretty good little formula going here. Build the foundation of the team, the heart and soul, the kids that "carry the water" so to speak, from places like Europe, Canada, Colorado, North Dakota, etc. Recruit the in-state kids for supporting cast roles and VOILA!!...Minnesota's Price On Ice!

You have to admit, Lucia has a pretty good little formula going here.  Build the foundation of the team, the heart and soul, the kids that "carry the water" so to speak, from places like Europe, Canada, Colorado, North Dakota, etc.  Recruit the in-state kids for supporting cast roles and VOILA!!...Minnesota's Price On Ice!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jordan Leopold and Keith Ballard Paul Martin Jeff Taffe not a bad supporting cast ???

You have to admit, Lucia has a pretty good little formula going here.  Build the foundation of the team, the heart and soul, the kids that "carry the water" so to speak, from places like Europe, Canada, Colorado, North Dakota, etc.  Recruit the in-state kids for supporting cast roles and VOILA!!...Minnesota's Price On Ice!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he keeps doing this for another 5-10 years you all are REALLY going to hate the Gophers!

AT UND or end up playing against UND ?

Still Sad to see so many slip away  :angry:

I have heard one of the Best Local Talents is most interested in the Gophers  ???  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is all a domino effect that started with Grant Potulny. Ryan went to UM because of his brother, and Irmen went to UM because of Ryan. I don't think this is a trend that will last too far into the future.

Do the Sioux want to have this great gaggle of "pipelines" if the players are so good that they do a year or two and bolt? I love their talent but the swagger isn't there the chip on the shoulder isn't there, these are top recriuts not talented players others didn't want (Hoogsteens and Panzers). I enjoy watching them play but I don't want UND to turn into Duke and not have more than a handful of seniors ever, and always be "reloading".

Just the thought of North Dakota kids growing up dreaming of wearing Maroon and Gold makes me want to throw up! ???

That being said, I don't think it will happen. Most North Dakota kids grow up wanting to wear the Green and White. With the advent of the Fighting Sioux Sports Network, more and more kids will grow up watching the Sioux play in the best hockey arena in College Hockey (and better than some NHL rinks). I think Danny Irmen grew up watching the Gophers and wanting to play for them, so I think he was lost a long time ago. The Potulny's got away because Blais made a rare recruiting mistake by passing on Grant, thinking he wasn't very good. If Grant had went here, I think Ryan would have followed.

I think Hakstol needs to make keeping D-I level ND kids in North Dakota a top priority in his tenure. Blais made it a priority when he took over in 1994 and our program got some good players out of it. We'll never be able to fill our roster with ND talent, but we need to try to keep as many of them here as we can. They are a nice compliment to the Canadians and Minnesotans we bring in on a regular basis.

Who knows, maybe this year's European addition to the program (Spirko) will help open a pipeline to the Old World. But I think if we can keep the ND kids at home and continue to pick up talent from Canada and Minnesota, I think we'll be just fine. Enjoy the ND kids you have Gopher Fans, but don't expect it to continue!

thats college sports for ya. look at the other major college sports. same thing. i have no problem if a kid comes for 2 years and goes pro. the more power to him. we get that great talent for a couple of years so the way i look at it is you enjoy that while its in grand forks and then move on to the next crop when they come no matter how long they stay. i understand the other viewpoint but thats just not going to happen when you are a top 5 hockey school every year. we will still get the 4 year players but mix in a few blue chips and thats a good combination. i think reloading is a great thing to be doing if thats the choice the school has. way better than rebuilding like 60/70% of all other hockey schools have to do every 3-4 years. also Duke is doing just fine with reloading. let the tradition go on...

First off, regarding the two years and split: Ask that to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan regarding the latest potential 2 years and split candidate: Phil Kessel. It's never fun for a fan to endure an early departure of a star player, but it happens. The point is to try to improve the team and make as big of a run as you can. No Sioux fan would give up getting Zach or Bo. No Gopher fan would give up Vanek. No Badger fan would give up Suter. Heck, Michigan State fans are probably dreaming about another Miller.

Second off, though I think geographical location has a part of what makes the decision to commit to a school, it isn't everything. Potential playing time, scholarship availability, and just getting an offer itself weighs heavily on a recruit's chances. If Grant was given a similar offer from the Sioux for the same year that the Gophers offered him in, maybe things would have been different for Grant, Ryan, and Dan. It only gets cloudy when everyone wants you. Some of these local boys may go to places like Notre Dame or Minnesota because of the offers are simply better than UND can offer. Ryan did go to Minny because of Grant. These things happen, but Dan's case is less common. Of course, this is my own opinion.

For the Sioux, it's plain to see we don't have Woog-itis. We go for the best players who fit the mold of what the Sioux are supposed to be according to the coaching staff regardless of where they are from. Yeah, we have local talent on our team, but they are really fitting into the Sioux mold. In a way, it's almost like Herb Brooks' style of getting the players who can play well together the best rather than just the best players.

My two pennies.

Weisgarber has a knee injury and is out indefinatly. It's an injury that happened this summer and he tweeked it last week. Should be back by tourny time. Weisgarber is probably the most talented Jr. in ND. South has quite a few kids who will play in Div. III but a couple of fringe Div. 1 player may be Jr. foward Adam Campbell and So. goalie Adam Deichert. Deichert played in the Elite league this fall and played well to start but tappered off towards the end of the season. He struggled in his first couple of varsity starts, but he's a sophmore. Probably more talented than the senior McLean but not ready for prime time. There is a 6 foot freshman forward playing for South but I can't pass judgment on him yet.

Paul Weisgarber does have a knee injury and apparently should be resting it for about two weeks. Paul said tonight (Thursday, Dec 16th) that he wants to play this Saturday vs Grand Forks Central. As with most kids who want to play the game his return will most likely be an outcome of improvement of the injury, a doctor's recommendation, and their own determination to return as soon as possible. From the various conversations that I have had it seems as though he should be back in a matter of a few weeks at most.