SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-5) @ Idaho (3-5) 12/6 8PM

SWSiouxMN

3 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Trent did what many of us was calling for last night and actually was aggressive on the offensive side of the basketball.   He actually looked to score and he needs to do that more.   People have talked about his turnovers from ealier in the year. The reason for the turnovers?  It was because defenses figured out that Trent always looked to pass the ball first so they clogged the passing lanes knowing, he wont score.

Last night was a step in the right direction to fixing that issue.  I like that he took a few outside shots and hit a midrange shot, he needs to do more of that as well.

Loved Brooks last night and Omot as well.  His 3 point shot is getting better and so is his defense.  However, outside of those three (and some flashes from Norman and Sueker), tell me what everyone else did last night?

Yes the free throws were bad but I am here to tell everyone that is not the reason why UND lost last night.  Even if they made all of their free throws last night, they still lose.

3 point perimeter defense was awful last night and they gave up the most 3 pointers since the Pacific game in 10.  Too many open looks.  The last 10 minutes were a step back to the beginning of the year.  I can live with teams hitting contested 3 pointers, contested 2 pointers all night.  If a team can hit those shots... you tip their cap to them, nothing you can do about it. However, it was too many open looks last night.  Whether it was not closing out or not rotation over or getting lost on screens, this cannot happen.  

With all of that said... there appears to be growing evidence that the Summit is going to be more wide open this year as the top teams have struggled to establish themselves and the bottom teams have shown improvement from last year.  There are going to be some very interesting results in the first couple of weeks of conference play.  

I think UND can get back to that play they showed over the Thanksgiving Weekend.  However, it time for this staff to make some decision on a set rotation and run with it.

Me thinks that the rotation will get trimmed up here very shortly.

17 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Trent did what many of us was calling for last night and actually was aggressive on the offensive side of the basketball.   He actually looked to score and he needs to do that more.   People have talked about his turnovers from ealier in the year. The reason for the turnovers?  It was because defenses figured out that Trent always looked to pass the ball first so they clogged the passing lanes knowing, he wont score.

Last night was a step in the right direction to fixing that issue.  I like that he took a few outside shots and hit a midrange shot, he needs to do more of that as well.

Loved Brooks last night and Omot as well.  His 3 point shot is getting better and so is his defense.  However, outside of those three (and some flashes from Norman and Sueker), tell me what everyone else did last night?

Yes the free throws were bad but I am here to tell everyone that is not the reason why UND lost last night.  Even if they made all of their free throws last night, they still lose.

3 point perimeter defense was awful last night and they gave up the most 3 pointers since the Pacific game in 10.  Too many open looks.  The last 10 minutes were a step back to the beginning of the year.  I can live with teams hitting contested 3 pointers, contested 2 pointers all night.  If a team can hit those shots... you tip their cap to them, nothing you can do about it. However, it was too many open looks last night.  Whether it was not closing out or not rotation over or getting lost on screens, this cannot happen.  

With all of that said... there appears to be growing evidence that the Summit is going to be more wide open this year as the top teams have struggled to establish themselves and the bottom teams have shown improvement from last year.  There are going to be some very interesting results in the first couple of weeks of conference play.  

I think UND can get back to that play they showed over the Thanksgiving Weekend.  However, it time for this staff to make some decision on a set rotation and run with it.

Thank you! Couldn't agree more!

14 minutes ago, SD UND said:

I would love to hear these "stories." And please expound on "Old Fashioned." Just curious.

Gosh you could go really deep into on how the coaching profession is changing and what is actually effective in coaching young adults. The screaming and yelling in players faces is old fashioned and has been proven to not be effective. Running players 'until they puke' is old fashioned and doesn't work. You can hold players accountable without belittling them and going on your "power trip". It is all about relationships and treating players with 'respect' I guess you could say. I would HIGHLY recommend listening to the JJ Reddick podcast where he has Tyron Lue on to talk about coaching. He is one of the top coaches in all of basketball and he gives great advice and insight on what works in today's basketball world. He really emphasizes that it is all about relationships, being honest with players all the time, and building up that trust with the players. He has a really good quote in there too where he says he never tells a player to change how they play the game of basketball. He tells them to play the game how they think allows them to play at their best and then it is up to him as a coach to figure out how to fit them into his system and put them in the right places to be successful. It is a really good podcast. Worth the listen for sure. 

I don't see that happening from Sather. He doesn't allow guys to play free and figure out how to use their talents/skills effectively by putting them in the right spots. And to go off the stories, I have heard a lot that he still does the screaming and yelling at players. He does the running them excessively. (Just stating what I have heard from a few of his former players). Old fashioned ways that don't help players be better at basketball. Like I said, there is a lot more to it than I am able to portray in this forum. Listen to that podcast and it will be a great insight into what a great basketball coach does.

When Trent drives the bucket with a purpose and has other players moving so he can dish if needed he is good

other times you can see he is going one on one and the other 4 could just as well stand and watch because he isn’t going to pass

33 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Gosh you could go really deep into on how the coaching profession is changing and what is actually effective in coaching young adults. The screaming and yelling in players faces is old fashioned and has been proven to not be effective. Running players 'until they puke' is old fashioned and doesn't work. You can hold players accountable without belittling them and going on your "power trip". It is all about relationships and treating players with 'respect' I guess you could say. I would HIGHLY recommend listening to the JJ Reddick podcast where he has Tyron Lue on to talk about coaching. He is one of the top coaches in all of basketball and he gives great advice and insight on what works in today's basketball world. He really emphasizes that it is all about relationships, being honest with players all the time, and building up that trust with the players. He has a really good quote in there too where he says he never tells a player to change how they play the game of basketball. He tells them to play the game how they think allows them to play at their best and then it is up to him as a coach to figure out how to fit them into his system and put them in the right places to be successful. It is a really good podcast. Worth the listen for sure. 

I don't see that happening from Sather. He doesn't allow guys to play free and figure out how to use their talents/skills effectively by putting them in the right spots. And to go off the stories, I have heard a lot that he still does the screaming and yelling at players. He does the running them excessively. (Just stating what I have heard from a few of his former players). Old fashioned ways that don't help players be better at basketball. Like I said, there is a lot more to it than I am able to portray in this forum. Listen to that podcast and it will be a great insight into what a great basketball coach does.

I can just tell you, based on facts, not on "stories" that this is 100% not true. Does he ever yell at guys? Ya, he's a coach, sometimes you need to raise your voice. Do guys ever run? Sure. Do they run until they puke? No. Does he ever go above and beyond either of those lines? No. Try again, fruit. 

25 minutes ago, Kab said:

When Trent drives the bucket with a purpose and has other players moving so he can dish if needed he is good

other times you can see he is going one on one and the other 4 could just as well stand and watch because he isn’t going to pass

Two questions: 1. Do you watch the games??? Other than just last nights 2. Who is going to play point guard then??

Just now, SD UND said:

I can just tell you, based on facts, not on "stories" that this is 100% not true. Does he ever yell at guys? Ya, he's a coach, sometimes you need to raise your voice. Do guys ever run? Sure. Do they run until they puke? No. Does he ever go above and beyond either of those lines? No. Try again, fruit. 

So what makes your "facts" so factual? You seem to act like you're so tapped in to what Sather does that I'm starting to question if you are his wife or something. If so, you probably shouldn't be on this forum. And that's fine, you don't have to believe me or what I have heard from players. We will keep seeing what Sather does for this program and we'll see how much longer he lasts. I can tell you all these 'rebuilding' years will begin to catch up to him. The fans are sick of it. We want to see this team improve and start being competitive again. I'm sure another D2 school would take him though.

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

So what makes your "facts" so factual? You seem to act like you're so tapped in to what Sather does that I'm starting to question if you are his wife or something. If so, you probably shouldn't be on this forum. And that's fine, you don't have to believe me or what I have heard from players. We will keep seeing what Sather does for this program and we'll see how much longer he lasts. I can tell you all these 'rebuilding' years will begin to catch up to him. The fans are sick of it. We want to see this team improve and start being competitive again. I'm sure another D2 school would take him though.

I am not his wife. I know him and the staff quite well. I just like to come on here and let you know that you consistently don't know what you're talking about. But you should keep listening to JJ Redick on how to coach.

Last night, while not the result we wanted, was a step in the right direction. Jalun has found some spots where he can be aggressive, Brooks looks good. Rotation is still being worked out, I believe they are wanting some guys to take ownership of some roles. 

Our 5's were outmatched last night against a guy that is a HM type player.

UND is improving and will be competitive in the league year. They are 5-6 in the non-league, I think at the beginning of the year, after last year, most fans would have taken a chance to be around .500 during the non-league. 

Relax.

Just now, SD UND said:

I am not his wife. I know him and the staff quite well. I just like to come on here and let you know that you consistently don't know what you're talking about. But you should keep listening to JJ Redick on how to coach.

Last night, while not the result we wanted, was a step in the right direction. Jalun has found some spots where he can be aggressive, Brooks looks good. Rotation is still being worked out, I believe they are wanting some guys to take ownership of some roles. 

Our 5's were outmatched last night against a guy that is a HM type player.

UND is improving and will be competitive in the league year. They are 5-6 in the non-league, I think at the beginning of the year, after last year, most fans would have taken a chance to be around .500 during the non-league. 

Relax.

I'm glad you have a friendship with the staff! You have your opinions on the coach and the "facts". I have my opinions on the coach and the "stories". I'm glad we got that cleared up. Have a great rest of your day! #LetsKeepRebuilding 

1 hour ago, SD UND said:

I would love to hear these "stories." And please expound on "Old Fashioned." Just curious.

Quote from former player who I think would have a very high approval rating from UND fans “We ran so much you would’ve thought we were the track team”

Shooing free throws is more on the player than coach because it is individual act in playing basketball it has be worked on the by the player a coach can help evaluate what player may be doing point out doing something wrong but again it takes player working on skill to shoot three throws. Mostly at this level is getting your mind in control of your body that you consistently shoot basketball to be made if want to be good free throw shooter. I look at Kacie Borowicz on women’s basketball she is good example of shooting free throws she follows routine exactly same every time and gets herself set to shoot a free throw and by doing this she has built self confidence that she will make the free throw. I don’ t see that with Jalen but if he would work on this he has all ability to do this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Shooing free throws is more on the player than coach because it is individual act in playing basketball it has be worked on the by the player a coach can help evaluate what player may be doing point out doing something wrong but again it takes player working on skill to shoot three throws. Mostly at this level is getting your mind in control of your body that you consistently shoot basketball to be made if want to be good free throw shooter. I look at Kacie Borowicz on women’s basketball she is good example of shooting free throws she follows routine exactly same every time and gets herself set to shoot a free throw and by doing this she has built self confidence that she will make the free throw. I don’ t see that with Jalen but if he would work on this he has all ability to do this.

Exactly. Free throw shooting (and shooting in general) is about mechanics and confidence. Running sprints will never improve either of those.