SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (5-5) @ Idaho (3-5) 12/6 8PM

SWSiouxMN

3 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Trent 1-5. On the line.  Run until you puke

This is such an out dated method that does nothing to make players better. Please tell me how running will help a player make free throws?? 

Edited by GoodGood
Spelling

6 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

This is such an out dated method that does nothing to make players better. Please tell me how running will help a player make free throws?? 

If you are tired shoot FT's.  Players get tired of running.  Learn to shot when you are tired.  Let's not regress to Jones Era.  Please.

2 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

If you are tired shoot FT's.  Players get tired of running.  Learn to shot when you are tired.  Let's not regress to Jones Era.  Please.

You didn’t answer the question though. How does running sprints until you puke help a player be better at free throws?? That’s such an old way of coaching that has been proven to not be the most effective way of coaching. 

3 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Trent missed several in the first half. Has nothing to do with being tired. It’s 2022, I would hope we’re past running sprints will make you a good basketball player training methods 

2 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Trent missed several in the first half. Has nothing to do with being tired. It’s 2022, I would hope we’re past running sprints will make you a good basketball player training methods 

No I'm not.  It's all about concentration.  Sucking air concentrate.

No I'm not.  It's all about concentration.  Sucking air concentrate.

Again, he missed several in the first half. Has nothing to do with being tired. Steph Curry is not a better late game free throw shooter than LeBron James because he is in better shape or ran more sprints in the off season.... you're stuck in the past dude and unfortunately i have heard stories from former players that make me believe this staff could be as well 

1 minute ago, GoodGood said:

Again, he missed several in the first half. Has nothing to do with being tired. Steph Curry is not a better late game free throw shooter than LeBron James because he is in better shape or ran more sprints in the off season.... you're stuck in the past dude and unfortunately i have heard stories from former players that make me believe this staff could be as well 

No argument just facts.  Trent 50% on FT before this fame 1-5 this game.  No problem fix it.  Okay play game boy.  I don't care you are smart. Less than 50% is not good.

No argument just facts.  Trent 50% on FT before this fame 1-5 this game.  No problem fix it.  Okay play game boy.  I don't care you are smart. Less than 50% is not good.

And running sprints will not change a thing. That’s a fact. Goodnight 

Just now, GoodGood said:

And running sprints will not change a thing. That’s a fact. Goodnight 

Good morning.  Leads in TO's and less than than 50% in FT but should lead the team.   he is good on rebounds.  Trust Sather he  knows what he is doing.  He is giving every chance for Trent to get there.  It's on him.  Cheer but he needs to improve.

9 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Good morning.  Leads in TO's and less than than 50% in FT but should lead the team.   he is good on rebounds.  Trust Sather he  knows what he is doing.  He is giving every chance for Trent to get there.  It's on him.  Cheer but he needs to improve.

Does Sather really know what he is doing?? You always say this and "have his back" but it always seems to show that he does not know what he is doing. And what 'chances' does Trent even need? He is a captain of the team. I would think he is a captain for a reason. Maybe Sather needs to evaluate how he coaches and should allow him to play free and not pull him every single time he makes a mistake. You know, maybe let the starting PG and captain play free and have the ability to make a mistake without the fear of being taken out and sit on the bench for the next 12 minutes of the game just to watch Caleb Nero over dribble every single possession. Just a thought though! 

I have heard stories and complaints from former players that Sather is in fact stuck in the old fashioned way of coaching. He needs to get with the times and start treating this like a D1 program or else it is going to continue to be a 'rebuilding year' for the rest of his contract. It's just the reality. Either get with the times or get left behind. It's not always just the players that need to look in the mirror when things aren't going great. The coach needs to as well. 

• Like 1

Trent had 13 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists last night and everyone is calling for his head because he missed some free throws. TT was 1-4 on the night. Why isn't everyone calling for his head?? Make it make sense. We finally had a game where Trent and Brooks both played how everyone knows they are capable of and showed that they can be two of our best guards. Levias, TT, Nero, Grant, Matthews, and Eaglestaff all gave us absolutely nothing last night. Why is nobody talking about that? But making someone run until they puke for missing four free throws will solve all of the issues! Glad we got that figured out. 

10 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Trent had 13 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists last night and everyone is calling for his head because he missed some free throws. TT was 1-4 on the night. Why isn't everyone calling for his head?? Make it make sense. We finally had a game where Trent and Brooks both played how everyone knows they are capable of and showed that they can be two of our best guards. Levias, TT, Nero, Grant, Matthews, and Eaglestaff all gave us absolutely nothing last night. Why is nobody talking about that? But making someone run until they puke for missing four free throws will solve all of the issues! Glad we got that figured out. 

Trent did what many of us was calling for last night and actually was aggressive on the offensive side of the basketball.   He actually looked to score and he needs to do that more.   People have talked about his turnovers from ealier in the year. The reason for the turnovers?  It was because defenses figured out that Trent always looked to pass the ball first so they clogged the passing lanes knowing, he wont score.

Last night was a step in the right direction to fixing that issue.  I like that he took a few outside shots and hit a midrange shot, he needs to do more of that as well.

Loved Brooks last night and Omot as well.  His 3 point shot is getting better and so is his defense.  However, outside of those three (and some flashes from Norman and Sueker), tell me what everyone else did last night?

Yes the free throws were bad but I am here to tell everyone that is not the reason why UND lost last night.  Even if they made all of their free throws last night, they still lose.

3 point perimeter defense was awful last night and they gave up the most 3 pointers since the Pacific game in 10.  Too many open looks.  The last 10 minutes were a step back to the beginning of the year.  I can live with teams hitting contested 3 pointers, contested 2 pointers all night.  If a team can hit those shots... you tip their cap to them, nothing you can do about it. However, it was too many open looks last night.  Whether it was not closing out or not rotation over or getting lost on screens, this cannot happen.  

With all of that said... there appears to be growing evidence that the Summit is going to be more wide open this year as the top teams have struggled to establish themselves and the bottom teams have shown improvement from last year.  There are going to be some very interesting results in the first couple of weeks of conference play.  

I think UND can get back to that play they showed over the Thanksgiving Weekend.  However, it time for this staff to make some decision on a set rotation and run with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Does Sather really know what he is doing?? You always say this and "have his back" but it always seems to show that he does not know what he is doing. And what 'chances' does Trent even need? He is a captain of the team. I would think he is a captain for a reason. Maybe Sather needs to evaluate how he coaches and should allow him to play free and not pull him every single time he makes a mistake. You know, maybe let the starting PG and captain play free and have the ability to make a mistake without the fear of being taken out and sit on the bench for the next 12 minutes of the game just to watch Caleb Nero over dribble every single possession. Just a thought though! 

I have heard stories and complaints from former players that Sather is in fact stuck in the old fashioned way of coaching. He needs to get with the times and start treating this like a D1 program or else it is going to continue to be a 'rebuilding year' for the rest of his contract. It's just the reality. Either get with the times or get left behind. It's not always just the players that need to look in the mirror when things aren't going great. The coach needs to as well. 

10 hours ago, GoodGood said:

I would love to hear these "stories." And please expound on "Old Fashioned." Just curious.