SiouxSports.com Forum

Pitt State Offense

Never lost to the Bison

Pitt State is in the December 6th issue of ESPN magazine (pg. 120). They claim "they are the most unstoppable offense in college football. They have outscored opponents 60-16 averaging over 637 yards per game. The offensive line averages over 314 lbs."

They sound pretty impressive. Has anyone gotten a chance to see them play or is it because the MIAA is terrible (not including NW Missouri)? I hope the Sioux can pull it off this week.

Pitt State is in the December 6th issue of ESPN magazine (pg. 120). They claim "they are the most unstoppable offense in college football. They have outscored opponents 60-16 averaging over 637 yards per game.  The offensive line averages over 314 lbs."

They sound pretty impressive. Has anyone gotten a chance to see them play or is it because the MIAA is terrible (not including NW Missouri)? I hope the Sioux can pull it off this week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Overall, I don't believe the MIAA is all people make it out to be. Sure, there are some good teams in the conference, but not any better than the NCC, IMO. The thing we need to remember is that the UND 3-4 defense was designed to stop NDSU's old veer option offense, so PITT State should have limited success in their option game. If this is so, and the Sioux force Pitt to HAVE to pass, the Sioux should be successful. Pitt is used to dictating the flow of the game, if the UND defense can dictate, I think the Sioux will come out on top.

I believe Pitt State ran the same option offense the past two times we played them (2001, 2003).  Here the box scores from those two games:

2001: http://fightingsioux.com/sports/football/r...001/UNDFB13.HTM

2003: http://fightingsioux.com/sports/football/b...asp?GAME_ID=896

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they pass more now, but I'm guessing it's the same offense.

Kicker31098, what can you tell us?

Here's some stats on Pitt St.

2 QBs Andy Majors and Neal Philpot have over 1600yds passing

majors has 19 TDs and Philpot 21 TDs

Rushing Gremaine Race 2,016yds rushing 25 TDs

Philpot 1159 15 TDs

Majors 783 12 TDs

they beat University of Missouri-Rolla 91-27 but UMR is a horrible team and even left the MIAA conference this year.

I know UND has a much better D then NWMissouri but the Sioux are going to have to play offense to stay in the game

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Defense wins Championships"

It seems that every year for the last 10 years, we play a team that is supposed to be unstoppable. When NDSUcks had Lamar Gordon, he only gained over 100 yards once in 4 years. 2001 Pitt state was averageing close to 500 yards a game, they left -19 yards rushing. UCDavis was suppose to be unstoppable and then Grand Valley State (who in 2001 had the best D2 offense I have ever seen) was suppose to unstoppable. Do you people see a trend here. All them teams and others were suppose to light us up by scoring 35 and did anyone ever get more then 2 td's on us. Our Defense RULZ. We are the Baltimore Ravens of D2. This doesnt mean we will beat Pitt State because we may not get enough Offense, but they wont light us up, I dont care how good they are especially if they bring that Veer junk. Are D was specifically designed to stop the Veer, so we could beat NDSU. So memo to Pitt State you better try and pass a lot, cause if you try run you will be in the negatives again.

"Dont let them score"

Ray Lewis talking to his offense

The best Defense against Pitt St.? Easy!! Keep them off the field as much as possiable. The Sioux offense will be the best defense against that offense. Long, clock burning drives, and for God's sake, SCORE. Good luck Sioux, go out there and prove to that Number one seed just who is the tougher region is. :huh:???

Hey guys, i drove up to houghton from ann arbor to watch the UND-Tech game, and i was amazed to see UND's defense be so dominating. It seems they can go anywhere and play a good stingy defense. As for Pitt St., i got relatives down there and we went down there earlier this year and watched them play Missouri-Rolla and i've never seen such an explosion. I've seen many blowouts in my day watching the ccha and all, but 91 points thats just insane. They seem to be cocky and love running up the score. Hopefully the cliche stands and defense wins over offense, eh boys

We are not the same offense as we have historically been, even last year. Unlike previous years we have an intermediate passing game with 2 great posession receivers. Last year we costantly tried to go deep, we would set up the deep ball with the run. This year we can option, power, pass deep, intermediate passes on any play. This team in no way resembles the old veer offense that I think most of you have in your minds.

Pitt State Offense is Obviously good.......I don't care what Kind of defensive teams they play......to put up the numbers they have in the playoffs is impressive........I think it was 70 points they scored 2 weeks ago.....thats pretty amazing in the playoffs............with all that being said.......they are still a Division 2 football team........They are not the Colts with Peyton Manning at the helm.......Yes they can be shut down.........Yes they can be beat...........If a team is going to beat them this year it will be UND...........Our defense is good enough to play with anyone in Division 2 hands down................Is our defense going to shut them down.,......No i don't think so......But can our defense hold them to 28-35 points.....Yes they can..........And yes for the Sioux to win our offense will have to score 28-35 points.......plus i think we will need a defensive touchdown or a special team touchdown................

This game could go either way.....I guess in my opinion forget the stats....forget the rankings...........Its a Semi-Final game in D2 playoffs..........It will be a good game...........

Im looking forward to the game at the Jungle....that stadium looks awesome.........and it sounds like they have awesome fan support.............Any Pitt fans have any advice on where to go out Friday night? Were driving so prolly be there around 7ish Friday night...................

GO SIOUX!

7 turnovers against NW Miss....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on what type of bar you are looking for. The following bars are all hot spots: 505, JB's, McArthies, Moorman's. These are all for the college crowd.

There's also 311 club, 5th Street, Twisters and a couple of gentleman's clubs. These will have a mix of college crowd and older folk. All locations should be accessible on-line.

Pitt State Offense is Obviously good.......I don't care what Kind of defensive teams they play......to put up the numbers they have in the playoffs is impressive........I think it was 70 points they scored 2 weeks ago.....thats pretty amazing in the playoffs............with all that being said.......they are still a Division 2 football team........They are not the Colts with Peyton Manning at the helm.......Yes they can be shut down.........Yes they can be beat...........If a team is going to beat them this year it will be UND...........Our defense is good enough to play with anyone in Division 2 hands down................Is our defense going to shut them down.,......No i don't think so......But can our defense hold them to 28-35 points.....Yes they can..........And yes for the Sioux to win our offense will have to score 28-35 points.......plus i think we will need a defensive touchdown or a special team touchdown................

This game could go either way.....I guess in my opinion forget the stats....forget the rankings...........Its a Semi-Final game in D2 playoffs..........It will be a good game...........

Im looking forward to the game at the Jungle....that stadium looks awesome.........and it sounds like they have awesome fan support.............Any Pitt fans have any advice on where to go out Friday night?  Were driving so prolly be there around 7ish Friday night...................

GO SIOUX!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By golly, I think this board has just crowned a new King of the Ellipsis! ???