SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Expectations...

It's more fun Drunk

Just a quick thought: What are everyones expectations for the Fighting Sioux hockey team this year? Looking at a recap of the first 25 years of the USHL, it shows Hakstol having a record around 8 wins 45 losses and a couple of ties his first season as a coach. It would have been a different story if Parise and Bochenski had stuck around, but then again Vanek would still be here too. Clearly this is not going to be a season of highs, but the key will be for Hak to get the guys working together for the playoffs. The three keys for the Sioux skaters this year will be. 1. keeping the Ralph full and loud every home series 2. Getting better output from the leaders Schneider, Greene, Jones, Fuhr, STAFFORD 3. Peaking at the playoffs like Minnesota did 3 years ago and like Denver did last year.

I expected the team to do well, obviously not as well as last year with the loss of Parise and Bochenski but I didn't think Hakstol was a terrible choice for coach. He started off great with a 4-0-1 record. I think the team is gonna do fine....its early!

Your right! With Zach and Brandon here, the team would be GREAT! People like Stafford, Quinn Fllying, and James Massen need to step up. I think the series against St. Cloud was just the beginning of a serious title run. I thought they played well and finally got the puck into the net! :lol:

They need to be consistent with goaltending also. Phil :ohmy: has been doing awesome so far but Jordan :0 needs to have better games...he's averaging almost three goals a game. With the offense only averaging 2 goals per game, he can't afford to let in three per game. He needs to have a some solid games in the upcoming weeks.

You never know, the team could have a complete turnaround after the Xmas break. They've had a tough schedule so far with away games at Boston College, Maine, and Wisconsin. They have an easy schedule(at least most people would THINK it should be easy) ahead with series vs. Tech and Anchorage. The team needs to show some spark and win those games.

Who knows, but we could be the ones holding a championship trophy in April! Theres lots of season left and anything can happen.

I expected the team to do well, obviously not as well as last year with the loss of Parise and Bochenski but I didn't think Hakstol was a terrible choice for coach.  He started off great with a 4-0-1 record.  I think the team is gonna do fine....its early!

Your right!  With Zach and Brandon here, the team would be GREAT!  People like Stafford, Quinn Fllying, and James Massen need to step up.  I think the series against St. Cloud was just the beginning of a serious title run.  I thought they played well and finally got the puck into the net! :silly:

They need to be consistent with goaltending also.  Phil :D  has been doing awesome so far but Jordan :D  needs to have better games...he's averaging almost three goals a game.  With the offense only averaging 2 goals per game, he can't afford to let in three per game.  He needs to have a some solid games in the upcoming weeks.

You never know, the team could have a complete turnaround after the Xmas break.  They've had a tough schedule so far with away games at Boston College, Maine, and Wisconsin.  They have an easy schedule(at least most people would THINK it should be easy) ahead with series vs. Tech and Anchorage.  The team needs to show some spark and win those games.

Who knows, but we could be the ones holding a championship trophy in April!  Theres lots of season left and anything can happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hak had a bad record his first year as a USHL coach: He was named head coach of that team after the start of the season and it was a bad team.

What's more important to look at is what he did after that season (from HockeyDB.com):

- 32-21

- 34-19

The team has a new head coach and doesn't have last year's top three scorers (with Brady Murray's injury). They've played one of the three toughest schedules to date. Yet they're in the top five of the only thing that really matters: the PWR.

I'll say it again: The past two seasons the team never improved as the season went along, but the competition did. This team has had some struggles but appears to be getting better week by week. Let's see what level they improve to.

"I think the team is gonna do fine....its early!"

Okay can we come to an agreement that the season isn't early anymore? It is the last day in November. They have played 16 games (exhibitions are exactly that, an exhibit of the talents they posses) so far this season, the regular season is 36 games long. So that is 44% of the regular season. And the largest number of playoff games they could play would be 10: 3 in WCHA first round, 3 in the Final 5, 2 in the regional and 2 for the championship. That is the max amount of games that the Sioux will have the opportunity to play this year. The Season is over a third done and in 14hrs it will be December. Let's drop the "it's early" garbage, and realize that they need to continue to play well and keep lighting up the scoreboard.

hey guys poncho here, just thought i'd throw my two cents in. I never liked UND's decision to go with Hakstol. I just never seemed to like the guy, funny story actually he spilled a drink on me at the El Roco about 5 years back when i was visiting my June. I think Hakstol is an exceptional recruiter but at the head coaching position he just hasnt impressed me. I thought they should have gone out of house to get a coach and run the risk of losing hakstol. Hopefully we get things turned around cant have the boys from sota infront for too long.

"I think the team is gonna do fine....its early!"

Okay can we come to an agreement that the season isn't early anymore?  It is the last day in November.  They have played 16 games (exhibitions are exactly that, an exhibit of the talents they posses) so far this season, the regular season is 36 games long.  So that is 44% of the regular season.  And the largest number of playoff games they could play would be 10: 3 in WCHA first round, 3 in the Final 5, 2 in the regional and 2 for the championship.  That is the max amount of games that the Sioux will have the opportunity to play this year.  The Season is over a third done and in 14hrs it will be December.  Let's drop the "it's early" garbage, and realize that they need to continue to play well and keep lighting up the scoreboard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's still early season until the MacNaughton is awarded.

sagard,

While I agree with your general sentiment, there is a baseline level of success required to be included in the post-McNaughton fun: You need to win enough along the way to be in the PWR top ten. UND seems to be getting on the right side of that equation.

It will be one funky season if all six WCHA contenders can do that. The team most at risk there, IMO, is UMD, with their bad non-conference losses.

Hak had a bad record his first year as a USHL coach: He was named head coach of that team after the start of the season and it was a bad team.

What's more important to look at is what he did after that season (from HockeyDB.com):

- 32-21

- 34-19

The team has a new head coach and doesn't have last year's top three scorers (with Brady Murray's injury). They've played one of the three toughest schedules to date. Yet they're in the top five of the only thing that really matters: the PWR.

I'll say it again: The past two seasons the team never improved as the season went along, but the competition did. This team has had some struggles but appears to be getting better week by week. Let's see what level they improve to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By George I think he has got it. Championships are won in March and April not at the begining of the season. Funny how we used to hear this all last season.