SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Bison

sprig

O.K., it was hardly a work of art, but I'll take an "ugly" win over a pretty loss any day. I can't say I was too surprised with the lack of offense. Traditionally, UND play-calling is notoriously conservative in big games, and you had the added dimension of an inexperienced quarterback, not to mention a freshman running back. Penalties really hurt, too.

I was happy with the way the defense took control in the second half after being somewhat on their heals for much of the first half. All in all, any road win in the NCC is a good win.

The Sioux are probably a year away from being really good. If they can go 8-3 or maybe even 9-2 this year, that will be a successful season in my eyes.

O.K., it was hardly a work of art, but I'll take an "ugly" win over a pretty loss any day.  I can't say I was too surprised with the lack of offense.  Traditionally, UND play-calling is notoriously conservative in big games, and you had the added dimension of an inexperienced quarterback, not to mention a freshman running back.   Penalties really hurt, too.

I think it goes to show the pressure that the coaching staff's of both programs are under to win THIS game. Neither team called too many plays where anything bad was even a possibility. The game plan was to stay conservative and make the other side fail. I listened to WDAY's call-in shows last week and the vast majority of the callers were critical of the Bison, but would forgive "as long as they beat the Sioux". That's what a rivalry is all about, eh?

Glad to see the good guys pick up this one. Go Sioux!

The closest thing to a play that could be called "dangerous" in the second half by either team was the misdirection fake to the FB and flip to Mahmoud. He went around the left side for about 15.

Beyond that it was two arms on the ball or throw it away if it's not open FB.

It's about what I expected.

I'd rather beat SU once a season and lose every other game, than lose to those yahoos any time.

Good win, no matter how it was done. :D

I'd agree with that. Shouldn't be surprised at the conservative offense given the backup QB as well as a normal Sioux/Bison game.

Was just a bit bummed (when I posted) that the O. could not pick up 1 yard in four attempts at the goal line. The lineman are large, afterall; 'course with no big power running back it gets a bit tougher. Bowencamp is rather large though.

O.K., it was hardly a work of art, but I'll take an "ugly" win over a pretty loss any day. I can't say I was too surprised with the lack of offense. Traditionally, UND play-calling is notoriously conservative in big games, and you had the added dimension of an inexperienced quarterback, not to mention a freshman running back. Penalties really hurt, too.

I was happy with the way the defense took control in the second half after being somewhat on their heals for much of the first half. All in all, any road win in the NCC is a good win.

The Sioux are probably a year away from being really good. If they can go 8-3 or maybe even 9-2 this year, that will be a successful season in my eyes.

I also think next year could be a great one for UND. 9 of the 11 guys that started on offense today will be back. With the experience gained this year and the explosive potential of Mahmoud and Alkins, the offense could be really good. There will be a couple of holes to fill on defense, but I don't worry about that side of the ball. We've always got guys waiting in the wings for their chance to shine. :D

Next week's game against St. Cloud will be huge. Win that one, and I think the Sioux have an excellent shot at finishing 9-2 and getting back into the playoffs. Winning tough road games the last two weeks should give the team some confidence going into the stretch run.

I also think next year could be a great one for UND. 9 of the 11 guys that started on offense today will be back. With the experience gained this year and the explosive potential of Mahmoud and Alkins, the offense could be really good. There will be a couple of holes to fill on defense, but I don't worry about that side of the ball. We've always got guys waiting in the wings for their chance to shine. :D

With Beatty also having shown he's a very capable back, plus the addition of Travis Lueck, who I really think will be a play-maker at receiver, I think the offensive cupboard will be pretty well-stocked next season.

Also, the Sioux won't have that ridiculously hard road schedule next season. With UNC leaving, I guess it will be a moot point for a little while, but if everybody played or is playing 8 conference games the past two years, wouldn't it make more sense for everybody to have 4 home games and 4 road games instead of 3 and 5 (or 5 and 3)? I don't understand this scheduling by the NCC at all.

The article in the Star Tribune is about as funny an article as you can read. It really shows what UND is made of and also shows how their star running back views the team:

"Minnesotans just come up here and show what we've got," said Riza Mahmoud, who played at Champlin Park. The freshman rushed for 103 yards on 24 carries as North Dakota won the 109th renewal of the nation's most-played Division II rivalry.

Politely, Mahmoud added, "Yeah, there are players from North Dakota and South Dakota on our team, too."

Nice of him to acknowledge your roots. Real team player! hahahahaha You actually get the feeling that he thinks the teams looked good!

Gentlemen -- you need to remember that this was an article written and EDITED by an Trib sports writer. He likely put the Minnesota "spin" on the article to create interest among metro area readers.

I would guess that this was one comment out of a couple dozen. I sincerely doubt that Mahmoud feels UND would be totally helpless without Minnesota players.

I had the pleasure of coordinating the satellite get-together here in sunny Oakland, CA. It was a smallish crowd compared to other years, but that had more to do with the fact that very few (fair weather) NDSU fans showed up than with UND fans, who numbered about 15. Not bad for such a remote location, I'd say.

In the past, Oakland has drawn around 30 or 40 people, but with the recent troubles at NDSU, apparently their fan base has dwindled. One thing I was very happy to hear was the fact that UND had approximately 40 sites around the nation where people were "officially" tuning into the game. I, for one, think that's pretty impressive for a community with around 50K permanent residents.

BTW, if I could find the right job in Grand Forks, I'd be back there in a heartbeat, cheering on the school where I got my degree. I tried to contact the REA people about getting a job in finance with the new arena, but to no avail. Oh, well, guess I'll have to watch games via satellite again this year.

Congratulations, Sioux, on a tough road victory. Say, isn't UND something like 5-1 there now?

The article in the Star Tribune is about as funny an article as you can read.

What's really funny about the article is that it neglects to mention that the number of Minnesota players on the UND's and NDSU's rosters is nearly identical. Apparently the the real difference is that UND gets the Minnesota players with talent. :D

Call me crazy, but do Gopher and Bison fans sound the same when we talk about the talent from Minnesota? ;)

I don't mind the banners they help bring to UND! ;):D:p

On a side note: It really torks the K-fan guy's off in Mpls. I love it! Did anyone hear Doobie and Pubee this morning. Fighting Sioux suck. I just love it when they are jealous of UND! ;);)

13 to 7 in the polls? ;);)