SiouxSports.com Forum

Racist Mascot Chant

Fedorov

I included this in my post about the weekend hockey series in Madison.  What do you think of the Wisconsin students chanting "Racist Mascot" several times during Saturday's game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there is anything racist about calling a team the badgers.

Otherwise it was good thinking. Wisconsin fans have always been the most original. When they won the National title in Grand Forks in 1983, they were drinking our of puddles in the parking lot "like badgers" and announced to the entire section they were stitting in that one of their buddies had passed out and peed himself during the semifinal game. They were also brutal on "Hawvawd". One of the most enjoyable hockey games I have attended with respect to fans was sitting with the Wisconsin fans and listening to their coordinated cheers and jeers.

I'm not surprised by it considering how extremely liberal that university and community are. If they want to be accurate though, they should should use "nickname" or "logo" because UND does not have a "mascot."

Actually, I was surprised with as liberal as UW is, that they freely allow "Sioux" and "Fighting Sioux" to be used in the program, scoreboard, announcer, etc. (unlike UM and Sccc).

• 1 month later...

A couple years ago at a game at Minnesota, we were walking towards Mariucci from Stub and Herbs and came across a small group of people chanting hell no we won't go or get out the bushes or something original like that. Anyway, one of the "protesters" who had probably been picked up at a shelter and given some money to make the "crowd" look bigger was babbling and I made a smarta$$ comment and he babbled something about us needing to get rid of our mascot. I stopped and me and him were standing about 10 feet away from the other "do-gooders" and I explained loudly to him that UND did not have a msacot and that if he is going to protest against something that he should at least know what it was he was protesting against and that maybe he should ask one of the leaders for a cheat sheet. Everyone was laughing and I looked over and saw a look of horror on one of the 3 people there protesting who seemed to know what it was that they were there for?:angry:, she runs over grabs the guy by the elbow and pulls him back into the pack and trys to get him back on message. Pretty funny. then we go into the arena and my brother's girlfriend gets threatened by some nutjob because she was wearing a coat that had fur on the collar. Gotta love libs. :silly: