SiouxSports.com Forum

Vanek got fat.

Let'sGoHawks!

Came into camp at 230 pounds! Highest body fat percentage of any player ever to come into Buffalo camp. This is courtesy of Tim Hennessey. Healthy scratch for two games in minors, one point and minus one rating so far. Does this surprise anyone? Vanek sounds even lazier now.

He did OK last night.

Sounds like he still has some growing up to do if your reports of him being far overweight are not exaggerated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sagard, with all due respect, regardless of his weight over or not, he has a lot of growing up to do.

In my opinion, there is no question that he has the goods offensively, but he lacks the heart, commitment, and defensive motivation to play at the NHL level.

In my mind, Vanek was the Blake Wheeler of his draft year. (EDIT: Meaning he was drafted far too high in the first round. He's still first round talent, but looking back now, I would have taken him late in the first round instead of top 5)

Edited by redwing77

In my opinion, there is no question that he has the goods offensively, but he lacks the heart, commitment, and defensive motivation to play at the NHL level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As we all know, defensive motivation means nothing in the NHL if you can score lots of points. It isnt worth the argument again, but we could list tons of superstars who never sniffed their own defensive zone. (not to say Vanek is even close to that level just saying)

Vanek seems to be suffering from "Tyler Arnanson" syndrome :silly:

As we all know, defensive motivation means nothing in the NHL if you can score lots of points. It isnt worth the argument again, but we could list tons of superstars who never sniffed their own defensive zone. (not to say Vanek is even close to that level just saying)

Vanek seems to be suffering from "Tyler Arnanson" syndrome :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct, for the most part, but the league was turning into more of a defensive league (hence the talks about changing the game rules to open it up more). Players like brett Hull, who has never been known for defensive abilities, started taking tries at defensive play. The more attractive players are those who can score and play defense. That's why Sergei Federov is considered one of the premier forwards in the game. It's also one of the glowing points of strength for Zach Parise. I don't forsee Zach leading the league in scoring. He may not even lead the Devils in scoring, but he will contribute offensively and will be a strength on the ice regardless of what part of the game he finds himself in.

Vanek could very well gain the defensive motivation needed to play. After all, whether he deserved it or not, he WAS drafted 5th overall. That means he's got talent. Maybe he'll figure things out after a while in the AHL and turn into a good player. Or maybe he can progress enough to warrant a try and then bring up Drew Stafford to help him with his defensive miscues.

Who knows?

sagard, with all due respect, regardless of his weight over or not, he has a lot of growing up to do.

In my mind, Vanek was the Blake Wheeler of his draft year. (EDIT: Meaning he was drafted far too high in the first round. He's still first round talent, but looking back now, I would have taken him late in the first round instead of top 5)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with most of that but...you can't bring up Blake Wheeler, yet. For all we know he could have a Paul Kariya freshman year (God, I hope not) or a Rick Nash rookie year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you are not a NHL GM. I would think opportunities would be readily availiable for someone with more hockey sense than Gretzky's club and the Sabres.

And you are not a NHL GM. I would think opportunities would be readily availiable for someone with more hockey sense than Gretzky's club and the Sabres.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I'm not, but I think that Gretzky still could have had Wheeler plus maybe a 2nd and 3rd round draft pick in addition to their preexisting draft picks if they went for Wheeler when he was slated to be taken, in the late part of the round. Plus, if they did that, they'd have to pay him less money at signing because he wasn't top 5. If I recall correctly, Phoenix is one of those teams that are strapped for cash.

I'm not a GM, but I think I'm not the only one who thinks that Wheeler was the luckiest player in the draft.