76 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• McMahon
    • Vanilla

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both got suspended for a game. There are no winners, only losers. The Sioux really could have used McMahon against BC last Friday night. I have a very hard time understanding people who cheer when a fight breaks out. I simply shake my head in disgust. An occassional bench-clearing brawl can be entertaining, but when two players put up their dukes and slug it out like '30s style boxing... that's just stupid macho posturing. I appluad the NCAA for not tolerating that crap. The NHL needs to enforce similar rules against this barbaric, neanderthalish "tradition".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whaaaaa. :silly: It is part of hockey...deal with it.

McMahon's fight (though it didn't show it) I'm sure fired up his teammates, and the very dead crowd. Too bad it didn't happen in the begining of the 3rd instead of the end of the 2nd.

Whaaaaa. :silly:  It is part of hockey...deal with it.

McMahon's fight (though it didn't show it) I'm sure fired up his teammates, and the very dead crowd.  Too bad it didn't happen in the begining of the 3rd instead of the end of the 2nd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's this type of attitude that is the reason the NHL keeps fighting allowed. "It is part of hockey" is a HORRIBLE argument. Hockey is passing, shooting, scoring, setting up plays and winning games. Fighting is NOT part of hockey. It was made part of hockey because players started to not be able to control themselves.

A true hockey fan will remain a hockey fan if fighting is eliminated, and I know hockey will gain fans if they get rid of fighting. I have talked to many people who say the reason they don't watch hockey is because of the lack of self control of the players.

And actually, it didn't fire up the players. In an interview, Greene said he was supported McMahon's fight, but it didn't fire up the players like he had hoped it would.

If you outlaw fighting in all hockey, what's next? Should they outlaw checking too and completely make hockey a pansy sport? Body-checking could be considered just as brutal as fighting, when done to the extreme. Seriously, get over yourselves. Fighting is a big part of hockey, it's a part of team chemistry, momentum, team spirit, respect, and defending your own team. They don't fight to beat each other up, or to hurt each other. They likely don't have a problem with each other at all, they simply want to help their team out in any way possible. And there is nothing wrong with that.

A true hockey fan will remain a hockey fan if fighting is eliminated, and I know hockey will gain fans if they get rid of fighting.  I have talked to many people who say the reason they don't watch hockey is because of the lack of self control of the players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is no difference between the self control of hockey players and those of any other team sport. I've seen punches thrown in basketball, football, soccer, etc. They are competitive, physical and emotional activities and because of that tempers flare. If you don't like fighting in hockey, fine. But place the blame where it belongs. Not on the players, but on the governing body that allows fights to escalate beyond a push or punch. In this case, the WCHA and NCAA. Yet DaveK applauds the NCAA, the NCAA that permits its officials to determine whether or not they should break up an altercation.

I'm still at a loss trying to figure out how a hockey go is disgusting, but a basebrawl is entertaining.

Boy, Vanelli's nose did not look good after the two broke apart.... :D

Like I mentioned at uscho.com last week, McMahon won the fight, but didn't get the chance to play against BC. So he should have fought Vanelli on Friday. :silly:

Also gotta give Rory credit for trying to give a little bit of spark to a hockey team that was dead in the water.

As for the theory that starting a fight fires up a team when they're losing... I think that is a rather lame attempt to justify poor sportmanship. I see it as "if we can't beat them we might as well beat them up". Why can't the mere fact that they're losing the game fire them up? You don't see a football player single out a member of the other team and the two of them duke it out at the 50-yard line to fire up his team when they're losing the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind those same 'poor sportsmen' that cheered from the bench as McMahon busted up Vanelli's nose were the EXACT same players that stood in line after the BC game six days later to shake hands with York and congratulate him on his 700th victory - those young men are anything but poor sports, in my opinion.

By the way, I hope UND falls behind to CC this weekend (tongue in cheek) so they get really fired up. There is no better way to light a fire under a team than have them be down four or five goals! I know I hope for a goal deficit every game as a fan - that really gets me going.

And football players don't need to fight. They get to beat the h*ll out of each other on every play and it is usually always legal.

After re-reading what I posted, I understand your confusion. Let me explain what I meant by that...

Bench-clearing brawls are spontaneous and they happen in other sports as well as hockey. I didn't mean to imply that they are acceptable, just that there is an entertainment factor involved. That doesn't mean I don't think the partipants should be fined and suspended.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gimme a break. Bench clearing brawls are spontaneous? In hockey, where the combatants are continually checking each other, the occasional escalation is staged? But the basebrawl isn't? Yeah, I get your point - a baseball player gets beaned and the emotions erupt in his teammates.....they just can't control themselves because they were already on edge, sitting there chewing, spitting seeds, watching tv in the clubhouse.

BTW, when was the last time you heard of a bench clearing in hockey? I honestly can't recall a recent one.

anybody that hates fighting in hockey has never played the game. hockey is a tough sport, don't be such a loser and say it shouldn't be part of hockey. the players love it and i bet every player in college hockey wishes fighting was allowed and it was just a 5 minute penalty.

They take off their helmets, drop the gloves, put up their dukes like '30s style boxing, skate around in circles staring each other up and down for a good 20-30 seconds... and then the actual fight starts. Yeah, real spontaneous. :silly:

What bothers me most about it is that there is a certain segment of hockey fans who glamorize the fights. The website hockeyfights.com is a great example of exactly what I'm talking about. You don't see anybody out there glamorizing baseball, football, or basketball fights. I don't know of any websites dedicated to glamorizing beanballs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the "certain segment of hockey fans" that like the fights is a lot higher than the ones that don't.

In fact, I know alot of people who know nothing about hockey, but watch it just for the physical play (especially fights). Are they bad people? :D