SiouxSports.com Forum

Too Much Too Soon

SiouxFan4Life

I think Lennon and the staff might be putting too much on Dressler. I havent seen the ball forced into the hands of a freshman, in all my years hear. Even Jimmy was a man child, and was like our only tight end option due to injury. Dressler is great on special teams, but he seems to be slowing the offense. I saw 2 passes thrown to Caleb, who is our number one reciever, and he caught both. Grossman was having a fine day, and Webber seems to be just as exciting with the ball in his hands. Plus they are all seasoned recievers. Dressler was not open any of the times the ball was thrown to him, resulting in incomplete passes. SOmetimes ......and I have noticed this since Augustana that they force the ball to him and Caleb or Webber will be wide open, maybe this is just Belmore in his reads, but after listening to Coach on the Show, I havent heard anyone talked about like he talks about weston. He is great on Kick return, and punt return.....those suit him perfect...the thing that has him playing right now is his excellent speed, and good quickness, and those are perfect cause they put him in the open field,and he can take a seam, but his reciever play is different. DOnt put too much on the kid, we have guys that do that....Hell if not anyone Caleb....Look at the National Championship game, or NDSU, or Winona..Big games and big catches....And now that he is the number one shot, he doesnt get the ball.........Webber has shown what he can do...... All I know is that my seat is right behind the offense bench, and I even heard Hogs (who never complain) complaining when he went in at rb...Now players are players and coaches are coaches for a reason...But we cant sacrafice a team for one player....ITs been what makes UND ...UND....Hell if that wasnt the case ....Im sure We would have different people still here...and we wouldnt be respected like we are.......

Just my thoughts

yeah we need Bowenkamp back....think thats the problem.......If ya watch our offense it looks like a High School Offense.........the wide receivers are open....just nobody to throw the ball to them.....Not tearing apart Belmore right now..but he is young and is not making any reads.....You can tell where he is throwing the ball from the moment the ball is snapped................and as for the freshman at receiver....yeah he shouldnt be the go to receiever....he is great at kick off and punt returns...but has not been impressive at receiever....he is only a freshman............i dunno don't see the Sioux advancing very far this year without Bowenkamp back at QB....and who knows how rusty he will be when he returns................................scoring 26 points against Deluth...a team which beat Moorhead State by 4 points just aint going to cut it..........................

thank god for the defense:)

the rumor is Bowenkamp is playing next weekend at Mankato.....thats from a very reliable source.....so hope its true~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yeah we need Bowenkamp back....think thats the problem.......If ya watch our offense it looks like a High School Offense.........the wide receivers are open....just nobody to throw the ball to them.....Not tearing apart Belmore right now..but he is young and is not making any reads.....You can tell where he is throwing the ball from the moment the ball is snapped................and as for the freshman at receiver....yeah he shouldnt be the go to receiever....he is great at kick off and punt returns...but has not been impressive at receiever....he is only a freshman............i dunno don't see the Sioux advancing very far this year without Bowenkamp back at QB....and who knows how rusty he will be when he returns................................scoring 26 points against Deluth...a team which beat Moorhead State by 4 points just aint going to cut it..........................

thank god for the defense:)

the rumor is Bowenkamp is playing next weekend at Mankato.....thats from a very reliable source.....so hope its true~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well I know thats not true for sure, because we play mankato here this weekend....I think he should come back in relief against mankato, and play in Omaha.

I disagree about Dressler. When you have a guy like him that is a threat to score from anywhere on the field, you have to get him the ball no matter if he is a true freshman or a 5th year senior. On that one post pattern that he ran (just before the half, if I remember correctly) it was an easy TD if Belmore throws a decent pass.

Dressler is good on returns but we are forgetting one thing. The return TEAM is the reason that he is returning so well. Branstead knocked down 3 guys on one return last week. But all we heard about was how great Dressler is. I also think that its a slap in the face to Chris Beatty and Demetrius Charles when they put Dressler in at running back. Why should he get carries at the end of a game when Beatty and Charles have been working hard in the system for 4 years. REDICULOUS if you ask me. Lennon give these veterans at Wide Reciever and Running Back a chance to play since they have done everything you have asked of them for 4 years.

Dressler is good on returns but we are forgetting one thing.  The return TEAM is the reason that he is returning so well.  Branstead knocked down 3 guys on one return last week.  But all we heard about was how great Dressler is.  I also think that its a slap in the face to Chris Beatty and Demetrius Charles when they put Dressler in at running back.  Why should he get carries at the end of a game when Beatty and Charles have been working hard in the system for 4 years.  REDICULOUS if you ask me.  Lennon give these veterans at Wide Reciever and Running Back a chance to play since they have done everything you have asked of them for 4 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bad news....I don't think we'll see BOW all season. It's not a coaching decision - his throwing arm is just screwed! Now Belmore is hurt and we're going to see Reed Manke this weekend (not all bad - Belmore hasn't been THAT impressive the last few weeks)...just remember the D will keep us in any game!

Reality: The offensive team is not fast.

Putting Dressler in on offense forces the defense to at least respect the speed and deep threat it poses. He's in there to stretch both down the field and sideline to sideline (the reverse). You have to get "the fear" into the safeties and corners, get them to stop creeping in, so the other things (Roland, 3 yards, and a cloud of du..., oh, yeah, turf) work.

All that said, 3rd and 4 and needing a first down there's at least three other names I want the ball thrown to first. Of course, that assumes an accurate throw.

Dressler is good on returns but we are forgetting one thing.  The return TEAM is the reason that he is returning so well.  Branstead knocked down 3 guys on one return last week.  But all we heard about was how great Dressler is.  I also think that its a slap in the face to Chris Beatty and Demetrius Charles when they put Dressler in at running back.  Why should he get carries at the end of a game when Beatty and Charles have been working hard in the system for 4 years.  REDICULOUS if you ask me.  Lennon give these veterans at Wide Reciever and Running Back a chance to play since they have done everything you have asked of them for 4 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Certainly the punt return team deserves a lot of credit for blocking well. But before we give them all or even most of the credit, let's remember that Groeschl was returning punts the first few games of the year, and he wasn't doing anything resembling what Dressler is now doing. Either the punt return team all of a sudden started blocking much better, or Dressler can do things that probably nobody else on the team can. I suspect it's the latter.

Bad news....I don't think we'll see BOW all season.  It's not a coaching decision - his throwing arm is just screwed!  Now Belmore is hurt and we're going to see Reed Manke this weekend (not all bad - Belmore hasn't been THAT impressive the last few weeks)...just remember the D will keep us in any game!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's obviously bad news about Bowenkamp, and I'm certainly not happy that Belmore is also hurt, but at least this will give Manke a shot to start and hopefully play a whole game to see exactly what he can do. While he's not as fast as Belmore, I think we'll see better accuracy and very sound decision-making. I'm a little afraid he may not come back next fall if it appears he won't get a real shot to win the starting job, so this game is probably especially huge for him.

First.....Groeschol was fumbling the ball, if he catches them, he gets at least 15 yards..We always average atleast 13.....It is the team...Lueck last year, yes decent speed or good speed helps dramatically....Just look the next chance you get.....And then come back and post.

2. I agree with the Beatty and Charles comment..Coach Lennon, dont sacrafice the support of your upper classmen, just for sake of a freshman, youve never done it before.

3. Manke...Manke...Manke....(He is number 3 also) ...ALl I have to say is......Watch and see...the boy is a born winner....It wont take long to convince everyone

First.....Groeschol was fumbling the ball, if he catches them, he gets at least 15 yards..We always average atleast 13.....It is the team...Lueck last year, yes decent speed or good speed helps dramatically....Just look the next chance you get.....And then come back and post.

2. I agree with the Beatty and Charles comment..Coach Lennon, dont sacrafice the support of your

Well Said!!!

You ARE making too much out of one game. There were two or three instances where Dressler was open downfield for big plays. The throw was not on the money! The kid can play and I have seen more from him than from many guys that have been in the system for a few years. This is the way that college athletics work. Guys compete for jobs! We are not there during the week and if Dressler is out performing these guys than he should play. If you are an upper classman and you feel your not getting the play you deserve either work harder and earn it or take the alternative routes. I don't think we have a coaching staff that is willing to sacrafice winning just to play a true freshman! I think we owe the staff more credit than that!!

One other thing on Dressler, don't blame him or the coaches for the fact that the media is constantly asking Lennon or Mussman about him. I've heard it on both the 1440 A.M. coaches' show with Hennessy and Swygman, and the WDAZ show with Sweeney. Those are the guys, along with the Herald writers, who are asking about him. It's not as though Lennon is always talking about Dressler without being specifically asked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to say but you are wrong about the returns. Yes it takes all 11 players on the field to make it happen but if it was all the other guys and not Dressler why is the return game so much better when he gets the ball.