SiouxSports.com Forum

UND VS MANKATO FRIDAY GAME THREAD

AZSIOUX

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one figured our team would have an easier time in Mankato this year. Should have known better. We've historically struggled most years in their building, and again this night I guess.

Good reality check I guess, if you have to look for a silver lining.

There is only one overtime? No second ot or shootout? Minnesota State announcers say they "outworked" North Dakota in second and third periods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Mankato announcers and the Sioux announcers agreed with each other.

From the 2nd period onward, the Mavs owned the Sioux.

We just got home from the game. Good Sioux crowd, although we could not do much to exhort the boys on to moving their legs much. Some good hitting. Mason was the ref. He needs to get some exercise so that he can better position himself to look at, and call, some of the action.

A half-hearted effort by the Sioux. Mankato took to a spark and played pretty well. The Mavs appear to be much improved over their injury-plagued season of a year ago.

Tomorrow night could well be a dogfight. These things, among many others, are what makes WCHA hockey the greatest league sport on earth, bar none.

This was a fun game. As always, I enjoyed the Sioux fans at the MWCC. Not butt-kissing, but you guys are usually classy. You cheer for your team without trying to start fights in the stands.

Given the crackdown by the refs, the flow was pretty good. Very little clutching and grabbing in the neutral zone. Jordan Parise looked very good.

The Mavs sweaters were not the "crappy gold jerseys" of the last couple of years (I actually liked those.) The ones they wore tonight were 25th anniversary "throwback" sweaters, copies of the 79-80 MSU Division II national champions. They are for this year only, and will be sold off in a blind auction as the year goes on. I suspect that, after tonight, they will be viewed as lucky sweaters.

I fully expect you guys to come out loaded for bear on Saturday night. You gotta love the WCHA though; the number one team in the country gets all they can handle from the team picked to finish eighth in the conference. See you at McGoff's.

This was only one game and I don't want to overreact. Great Sioux teams have had horrible and lackluster performances and I'm not going to get too down unless and until awful performances become the norm. They showed in Maine that they can be a team that applies pressure with a jump in their step. For whatever reason, they were simply flat last night.

I'll chalk this one up to just a bad game. However, if they don't come out tonight and score more than 2 goals, I'm going to have some serious questions about the offense.

Where was the team that beat Maine? Are they still in Grand Forks?

In 18 years of following Sioux hockey this was one of the worst efforts I have

seen from this proud program. I could pick apart about 8-10 guys who played like they couldn't care less to be out there, but I won't.

I will say MSU deserved two points and the Sioux should have taken zero, if not for the play of Parise. Defensive breakdowns in their own zone, too many pretty passes and trying to "thread the needle" with passes. Oh an one more thing.....

SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK!!!!!!

A better effort tonight and we should gain the win. To play like complete manure

and still get a point is not bad, but this was not a proud Sioux team on the ice.

Let's get two points tonight!

Predict Sioux 5 -2 win. Lammy in the nets?

just one game. no need to panic at all or even be worried. now if it becomes a trend then i will be worried. played bad and still got a point out of it. thats always nice considering we should have not got a point at all the way we played.we will see what happens tonight, i'm sure they will come out flying....6-2 sioux

Well that sucks. However two quick points: 1. Mankato always plays the Sioux tough, here or there; and 2. Our guys have got to quit believing their own press. :blush: The season's long, and games are won on the ice, not in the papers or in a recruiting class ranking. ;);)

Here's to a better effort tonight ... :D

You gotta love the fact that Sioux fans get all ticked off about a tie on the road. Seriously, it says great things about the program.

I watched about half of the game before I had to go play sports myself. You are right in being disappointed about the passing and neutral zone play. Also, I felt the Sioux did not execute in the offensive zone well. However, it looked like a fast paced, up and down the ice kind of game. I think 'Kato played very inspired, which kind of caught UND off guard.

Here's to some killer instinct tonight!

I thought the Sioux played sloppy tonight and are lucky to come away with even one point. I thought Mankato showed a lot of heart tonight coming in to the game knowing that the Sioux were heavily favored, and going away with a point.

I'm a huge JParise fan :blush: and I thought he played well. I hope he's in goal again tonight but I wouldn't mind seeing Phil in there either. Sioux 4-2

JPar did play very well last night. I think, however, that Brandt will be in the nets tonight.

He was in the stands last night. In my opinion, he will end up being the "go to" guy in the BIG games down the stretch.

We're gonna pack 'em on up and head 'em on out. Travel to Mankato, and heardin' up dem dere Mankato steers to the slaughterhouse tonight.

JPar did play very well last night.  I think, however, that Brandt will be in the nets tonight. 

He was in the stands last night.  In my opinion, he will end up being the "go to" guy in the BIG games down the stretch.

We're gonna pack 'em on up and head 'em on out.  Travel to Mankato, and heardin' up dem dere Mankato steers to the slaughterhouse tonight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting observation about Brandt. If it weren't for JPar, we would have lost. That's why we're going to go with Brandt in the big games down the stretch... does that make sense? :(

Everyone is saying it so I will repeat it: Sioux goaltending is what kept this game at the level of 'embarrasing' instead of what a loss would be (humiliating).