SiouxSports.com Forum

Rastislav Spirko!

pentaxman46

I'm also impressed with him, not to mention all of the freshmen. I think they'll make up for the loss of Zach and Bo. I'm kinda hoping Rylan will have a good season, but I'm sure everyone will. Hakstol is doing well so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rylan is having a good season. He's not a Spirko, Stafford, or Zajac type player. He never was. He's a Rory McMahon/Chris Porter type player. If he excells offensively at all, I'd expect it to be in the assists department.

I'm from NE and used to watch Spirko play all the time, me and my friend were like his biggest fams and i know everyone had their own nicknames for him.....mine and hers was Rusty..we heard one of his fellow players call him that at a signing, Sparky and Raddy Dog. Glad to see Spirko has carried his name through hockey! :angry:

Hey Bubz --

As an American of Slovak descent, I just have to set the record straight concerning the word "slav". The only reason I am pointing this out is that many people in Eastern Europe think the word "slav" is durogatory. I know that is not at all what you meant -- I get your name-play off of Rastislav! :(

The flag pictured is that of the Slovak Republic (Slovakia), which is where Spirko hails from. There is not, and has never been, a country called Slavia. The word "slav" is a tribal name, like the words "viking" and "celt". These words do not designate a nationality. Just as we say our heritage is Norwegian, Swede, Irish, Scot, etc., ethnic Slovaks are Slovak -- not "slav".

I don't mean to get all political on you. Just want to welcome young Mr. Spirko appropriately -- looks like he's already made himself at home!!! :angry:

Hey Bubz --

As an American of Slovak descent, I just have to set the record straight concerning the word "slav".  The only reason I am pointing this out is that many people in Eastern Europe think the word "slav" is durogatory.  I know that is not at all what you meant -- I get your name-play off of Rastislav! :)

The flag pictured is that of the Slovak Republic (Slovakia), which is where Spirko hails from.  There is not, and has never been, a country called Slavia.  The word "slav" is a tribal name, like the words "viking" and "celt".  These words do not designate a nationality.  Just as we say our heritage is Norwegian, Swede, Irish, Scot, etc., ethnic Slovaks are Slovak -- not "slav".

I don't mean to get all political on you.  Just want to welcome young Mr. Spirko appropriately -- looks like he's already made himself at home!!! :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The ONLY reason I call him $l@v, is that's what some of the players and fans around here were calling him. It was never meant to be derogatory to you or to anyone else. I will stop. He seemed to get a kick out of it. :(

I know what nationality the flag I posted is. That's why I posted it.

Rylan is having a good season. He's not a Spirko, Stafford, or Zajac type player. He never was. He's a Rory McMahon/Chris Porter type player. If he excells offensively at all, I'd expect it to be in the assists department.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I was thinking so too. He got drafted ,right? Well, not that it matters if this keeps going on. :angry:

Rylan is having a good season.  He's not a Spirko, Stafford, or Zajac type player.  He never was.  He's a Rory McMahon/Chris Porter type player.  If he excells offensively at all, I'd expect it to be in the assists department.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I was thinking so too. He got drafted ,right? Well, not that it matters if this keeps going on. :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Kaip was drafted in the 9th round by Atlanta in 2003.

Someone will have to pony-up and get Slav a flag. He sure enjoyed this one waving from the crowd.

dm28assist.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That picture is from a storm game, we sit in the same section just a couple rows up from them. They still wave the Slovakian flag....their are 2 other slovakians on the team this year and they are Lukac's host family....:)Just thought i'd drop a lil info on it;)

Is the "storm" a minor league team? Went to my first Wilkes Barre-Scranton Penguins game this year on Wednesday. They started out well,but lost to the Manitoba Moose(Vancouver's AHL team). The arena they play in holds about 8,000 and every game they play is either a sell-out or close to it. You can get a ticket for $13 and parking is free. Some NHL arenas charge more than $13 to park your car. A little too much fighting in the AHL for my taste, but still a good night out. Another local minor league team is the Trenton Titans who play in the ECHL in a slightly larger arena.

They started out well,but lost to the Manitoba Moose(Vancouver's AHL team). The arena they play in holds about 8,000 and every game they play is either a sell-out or close to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a bit out of touch with the AHL but Manitoba doesn't call BC its home, does it? If you saw Manitoba, you saw former Sioux Lee Goren, MVP of the Frozen Four from the Sioux's last NCAA championship (2000).

I'm a bit out of touch with the AHL but Manitoba doesn't call BC its home, does it? If you saw Manitoba, you saw former Sioux Lee Goren, MVP of the Frozen Four from the Sioux's last NCAA championship (2000).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just because Manitoba is Vancouver's farm affiliate doesnt mean it has to be in BC. If that were true, then Minnesota would have an AHL affiliate somewhere instead of it being in Houston, TX.