SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-11, 3-3) @ SDSU (8-3, 2-0)

SWSiouxMN

Since We Last Saw SDSU:

It has been more of the same for SDSU this season, but also there have been a few bumps in the road as well.  Despite some injuries to some key players and a suspension of Freidel based on his action against USD, the Bunnies continue to roll along, starting the conference season with 2 wins.  They were scheduled to play Omaha last weekend but those games were called due to COVID in the Omaha program (although some in the Sioux Falls media believe that Omaha was ducking....).  This sudden bye week did give them a chance to get healthy and now SDSU are much closer to full strength.  Along with the 1-2 punch of Freidel and Wilson, the development of Scheierman has been a major boon for the Bunnies, he is nearly averaging a double-double this season and gave UND trouble in their first matchup.  It has been business as usual so far for SDSU, but they know that tougher challenges awaits them in the next few weeks in their quest for another Summit League crown. 

Key Player:  Douglas Wilson

Hard to pick against the Summit POY, who despite battling some injuries, has put together a solid 2nd year at SDSU.  I've signaled him out over Noah and Baylor for this reason:  UND have major issues stopping him in both matchups last year.  He was too quick for Rebraca last year.  UND didn't face him in Sioux Falls, they won't get that benefit this time.  He hasn't quite put up his numbers from last year yet and perhaps with a better team around him he doesn't have to, but the extra rest should help him.  He's due for a monster game and to show that when it comes to the best player in the league, that he is the one that still rules the roost. 

Series History: UND holds a 106-89 advantage against SDSU, but the Bunnies have dominated the D1 series, 10-1.  UND hasn't won at Frost at the D1 level, but have come close. 

Milestone Watch:  

Rebraca is now 10th all time in blocks with 70, he is 3 away from being 9th all time on the list.

Rebraca has 944 career points, 56 points away from being the 39th player all time at UND to get to 1000 career points.  He would also become the 24th player in UND history to have 1000 career points and 500 career rebounds (If my count is accurate).  If he maintains his current average, he should get that sometime during the Western Illinois games at home in late January.

Mitchell Sueker is 46 points away from 1000 combined career points between School of Mines and UND.  

Other Games:

DU (0-4) @ NDSU (5-1):  The Bison nearly came away with a sweep of their rivals but a last minute comeback and win in OT by UND delivered NDSU their first loss.  Its not all bad, they are still 3-1 on the road so far and they now get basement dweller Denver at home.  Denver showed some life at home against ORU but didn't have enough to get any wins.   This won't be an easy trip for the Pios and they know that they need to start putting some wins on the table soon.  The schedule is quite favorable for NDSU the next two weeks and they have a legit chance at 9-1 before the two home showdowns with ORU and SDSU. 

USD (4-0) @ WIU (0-4):  South Dakota is coming off of their bye week and looking to continue their surprise start in conference play.  They head over to Malcomb to take on Western Illinois, who is searching for their first win.  They too were off, but that was due to COVID down in Kansas City.  Jeter's crew is doing better but have no wins to show for it yet.  Do they finally get their first win, or do the Yotes roll to 6-0 this weekend?

Kansas City (1-3) @ ORU (5-1):  If you want a contrast of styles, here it is.  The Roos defense against the high powered Eagles offense will be a great clash.  ORU is coming off a sweep of Denver.  The Roos had their games wiped out due to COVID.  ORU hoping for better luck in their 2nd home series.  Kansas City looking to keep up with North Dakota for the 5th spot.  If ORU is a serious contender, they need to sweep this series

Off: Omaha (0-4) Omaha gets to take another week off!  Well this one was planned.  Last weeks game against SDSU got wiped away due to COVID.  Perhaps they can use this as a reset as their season hasn't gotten off to a hot start.  They still have some pieces still to climb the standings.  

Key Questions:

1) How does UND build off of their performance against NDSU?

2) Who does UND focus on:  Noah or Douglas?

3) Who steps up and becomes that 2nd scorer for UND?

The Call:

Another week, another undefeated squad that UND has to take on.  Unlike the last two, this one would be a real surprise if UND can steal one down in Brookings.  SDSU is pretty much at full strength and UND doesn't have someone that can get after Douglas Wilson.  If UND was to win, they would have to play much better than the first time these two teams played.  They are going to need to hit outside shots and play well enough on the defensive end to get the win.  After this series, the schedule starts to become more manageable for UND, but they still need to get through this weekend. Can UND build off of their victory against NDSU and start to gel more as a team? Could not playing for 2 weeks be a factor for SDSU on Friday night?  If UND is to steal one, it would have to be the Friday game.  I expect it to be close, but Wilson will be too tough to handle.

SDSU 81-76

Game is on Midco2 and the Plus (Midco and ESPN)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jacks on paper should run away with these games especially at home but this year seems to be different in that its tough to come up with back to back wins.  I also think that all time the Jack have had off is going to affect how they play as much as you want to replicate it in practice its not the same as actual game. I do think UND is going to have match up problems with the Jacks and i worry we will get into foul trouble. The big question for me is how Wilson plays if he has all his game like he did last year Grand Forks it will be long night for UND. Because last year he scored from three point land and when you came out defended he blew by for bucket inside i am hoping his outside game in not quite there yet. I also think if couple of UND players are on going to make it difficult for Jack to match up as well if they play up to their abilities. This series comes down to whether if UND can elevate its game to play with the Jacks because they are most complete team in Summit just ahead of NDSU at present time. I think UND can become one teams considered for tournament run but they need to now show their abilities on consistent basis night in and night out so far that has not happened.  Also they are going to show they can shoot like they did last Saturday.