SiouxSports.com Forum

Rutgers fan adopts North Dakota hockey

JESUS,family,rutgers

I hope you all don't mind, but after waiting over twenty years for my Rutgers Scarlet Knights to start a NCAA Division 1 hockey program, I have thrown in the towel and adopted your school as my hockey team. I was looking for a school that is not a sports factory,but still has a good team. Your program looks like it has a quite a lot of good to great years and I understand you are rated in the top 5 this season. Looking forward to the new college sports television network and espn's new college station showing more college hockey and I see that the Fighting Sioux are already scheduled for some games in October.--Much to my surprise, I have found out that you have a top football program too. Hope all your teams have a great season and please be patient while I learn more about your players. GO RUTGERS!!! GO NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY!!!

You have chosen a fine team to cheer for. 7 National Titles...only Michigan has more, with 9, but most of their titles were won when they still used "chicken wire" instead of plexiglass on the boards. Not to mention, we have the nicest facilities in the world...no joke.

Check out www.theralph.com to see.

There's a lot of great college hockey programs out east, glad you chose to adopt a western school.

As a Gopher fan (this kills me) I still have to say you picked a great program.

Bonus to you, currently the Minnesota-NoDak rivalry is pretty intense. If you can make your way out west, especially for the final five, you'll have some great memories to take back to Jersey.

I hope you all don't mind, but after waiting over twenty years for my Rutgers Scarlet Knights to start a NCAA Division 1 hockey program, I have thrown in the towel and adopted your school as my hockey team. I was looking for a school that is not a sports factory,but still has a good team. Your program looks like it has a quite a lot of good to great years and I understand you are rated in the top 5 this season. Looking forward to the new college sports television network and espn's new college station showing more college hockey and I see that the Fighting Sioux are already scheduled for some games in October.--Much to my surprise, I have found out that you have a top football program too. Hope all your teams have a great season and please be patient while I learn more about your players. GO RUTGERS!!!  GO NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY!!!

Yeah, just be awear and on the lookout for "Others" who are on this board. You'll see a lot of shibby being given out to these guys by NDSU, that other college in NoDak that so moving up in the world. They tend to stay more towards the football forums. Then, you guy your other WCHA team fans, Duluth, Minneasota, Wisconsin, and oh lets just go with a blank for whatever teams fan that see's this and gets all pissy about being forgotten about. I'm sure they will. :D:D

According to my sources, UND considers Minneasota their back yard as far as recruiting goes. :D;) As for the actual reasons why those kids go to UND instead of Minneasota, maybe they just don't want to be pelted with dead gophers every time they step out onto the ice. Its useally better to be on the side of the windshield than the side of the bug. :0:);)

WPoS,

Normally you're pretty cool, but your recruiting from Minnesota argument is totally bogus. North Dakota's 2003 population was just over 633,000. By contrast, Minnesota's state population is just over 5 million people. Small town boys basketball is life in North Dakota the way hockey is life to small town and big city Minnesota. That's just the way it is. So if your argument is that the Sioux should pick just North Dakota kids from the handful of schools within the state that actually play hockey, it's not logical.

That being said, UND can't win. They recruit Canadian kids, Minnesota fans cry fowl. They recruit Minnesota kids and Minnesota fans cry fowl. Tell a Gopher fan that Minny has never won a title without a foreign player on the roster and you get "I never supported that policy anyways."

Funny story...back in the Final Five title game a few years ago, a Gopher fan in front of me loudly announced that he hated North Dakota because of all the Canadians on the roster and said he was cheering for St Cloud State because he wanted to support the "Minnesota kids." I showed him my tournament guide and asked him to count out the Minnesota kids on the two rosters and compare with the number of Canadians. After he was done, he turned around and threw the guide back at me and said "So what?". :)

WPoS,

. After he was done, he turned around and threw the guide back at me and said "So what?"

This is the typical Minnesota fan...always have a lot to talk about, but when it comes down to it, they have no EVIDENCE to support their claim and simply make a childish remark like: "well, your town sucks and is small or make some comment about the frozen wasteland that is Grand Forks". That small, sucky frozen wasteland of a town has a program equal or better than yours...deal with it!

I know WPoS. Like I said, you're pretty cool...most of the time.

You miss Canadians occupying Sioux roster spots? I miss Doug Woog's constant whining during games because his Gophers are choking. Oh, wait. Nevermind, now it's even worse because I have to listen to him "announce" games.

What we really need is a New Jersey kid on the roster! :)

Back to this "recruiting Minnesota" thing:

UND's current roster, player's home location and number from there:

United States 16

- Minnesota 7

- North Dakota 6

- Michigan 1

- Illinois 1

- Alaska 1

Non-US 9

- Canada 8

-- Manitoba 3

-- Saskatchwan 3

-- Ontario 1

-- Alberta 1

- Slovakia 1

And if the rumor that Matt Moreland has walked on and made the team is true the US total goes to 17 and ND total goes to 7 .... and that's as many North Dakotans as Minnesotans. That's almost as many North Dakotans as Canadians.

And if the rumor that Matt Moreland has walked on and made the team is true the US total goes to 17 and ND total goes to 7 .... and that's as many North Dakotans as Minnesotans. That's almost as many North Dakotans as Canadians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hell Sic, that doesn't impress me. MN has as many players from ND as we do from Canada. ;):);)

What we need....er....want now is a kid from WI. Seriously. :D

Then why are you complaining about us recruiting out of state? If I'm not mistaken a Grand Forks boy won the NC for you guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the welcome everyone. One of you mentioned recruiting New Jersey players. There are not a lot right now,but we do put some players in NCAA Division 1 and the NHL. One player,Jim Dowd, had a long career playing for the Devils and other teams. He may have been on one of the Stanley Cup teams. The future looks very bright. When I was a kid, the nearest rink was an hour away. In the past five years, we have gone from two rinks to about fifteen. Little league and high school hockey are booming. The rinks are open about 18-19 hours a day and there is very little time open for general public skating. Many kids start practicing at 5 in the morning.