SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU or GVSU

southpaw

Who would you rather have the Sioux play?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather have the Sioux play?

• NDSU
    • GVSU

I've repeated my opinions on "the rivalry" here enough that I suspect my posting is unnecessary, but since it's a poll...

This almost reminds of me former NDSU visitors to this site's pathetic attempts to paint their love-fest with SDSU fans as a rivalry. Having played GVSU for two recent national championships makes them a very important competitor, but only a very short-term rival. It's a shame the regional realignment eliminates the possibility of the rubber match in Florence, but it does mean playing GVSU while they're a top in-region team would be very good for SSI. GVSU worth scheduling? Definitely.

As for NDSU, of course a lot of their fans are obnoxious, that's why it's fun to beat them. Attempts to pretend NDSU is not UND's natural rival with 100+ year history always kind of baffle me. I guess since some of the NDSU fans here try to pretend they don't care about UND anymore since we're lowly DII might lead UND fans to reciprocally pretend not to care about NDSU; but aren't those very claims really self-defeating evidence that they do care? That's certainly what I've always thought when I see Bison fans going through contortions to pretend they aren't still obsessed with UND. NDSU worth scheduling? Definitely (but get the stupid SSI fixed first).

I've repeated my opinions on "the rivalry" here enough that I suspect my posting is unnecessary, but since it's a poll...

This almost reminds of me former NDSU visitors to this site's pathetic attempts to paint their love-fest with SDSU fans as a rivalry.  Having played GVSU for two recent national championships makes them a very important competitor, but only a very short-term rival.  It's a shame the regional realignment eliminates the possibility of the rubber match in Florence, but it does mean playing GVSU while they're a top in-region team would be very good for SSI.  GVSU worth scheduling?  Definitely.

As for NDSU, of course a lot of their fans are obnoxious, that's why it's fun to beat them.  Attempts to pretend NDSU is not UND's natural rival with 100+ year history always kind of baffle me.  I guess since some of the NDSU fans here try to pretend they don't care about UND anymore since we're lowly DII might lead UND fans to reciprocally pretend not to care about NDSU; but aren't those very claims really self-defeating evidence that they do care?  That's certainly what I've always thought when I see Bison fans going through contortions to pretend they aren't still obsessed with UND.  NDSU worth scheduling?  Definitely (but get the stupid SSI fixed first).

I think a good comparison would be using Minnesota in hockey against Wisconsin and the Sioux. Minnesota seems both as a rivalry. When Wisconsin is having a the bad years and UND is doing extremely good, like the last few years, Minnesota would rather play UND. Minnesota historically sees Wisconsin as their main rivalry because of the other sports they compete against each other in, which the Sioux have no control over.

The Sioux and Bison have historically been a great rivalry, but the Sioux have won the majority in the past few years as the Bison have not been to good, including not making the playoffs last year. GVSU has been UND's only opponent in the Championship game with each winning 1. So maybe not historically GVSU over NDSU, but this year, I'd have to pick GVSU because they're rated number one in the country with UND #2, and how the last time they played it was in the championship game with GVSU winning. I believe if it was at the Alerus this year it'd probably be (near) a sellout.

NOW back to the topic of the thread...GVSU has a lot of the things "they" used to have...a coaching staff (and a changing one) that can produce a NC contender year after year...a great home stadium with throngs of crazed fans willing to travel wherever for a good game...and a guarenteed great and meaningful (playoff-wise) challenge in the regular season with the probability we'd be meeting in the playoffs...makes a lot more sense than a meaningless crossover game with a former rival...someday again maybe- but not now!