SiouxSports.com Forum

UND moving up?

Hansel

I agree 100 percent about the sdsu band - they are incredible. But I stand by my comments that sdsu is really going to struggle even in basketball. Sure Frost ARena is a great arena when compared with d2 programs but lots of d1 programs have better arenas or at least as good. Besides that where are their d1 players going to come from. They sure as heck aren't coming from the dakotas and there aren't many down here in Ne. either that they can cherry pick. And if they are any good they are going to lincoln and not brookings. Roger Thomas and your univ president are right i.m.h.o. the way d1 is configured now. Now if we had a 1aa for all sports I would love UNO to go d1aa - it would be great. The example I always hold up is UMKC's move to d1 which hasn't been very successful over the past 20 years. I know they are an urban school and not a land grant univ but my point is that most schools in the past 20 years who have moved struggle mightily. The fanatics on the sdsu board think somehow their situation will be different. IN the first month they are learning a few realities of d1 play and they will learn a lot more in the next 5 years. I may be totally wrong and I will admit it five years from now if sdsu is successful but d1 is filled with unsuccessful schools who didn't make the transition successfully.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay...I PLEAD INNOCENT!!! as you can see by the earlier post...OBVIOUSLY immature people are usurping my name (FAKE=siouxmenow21!!) on this and OTHER division one AA boards. I am NOT GUILTY of the charges against me. (see other forums) I think I've proven I can converse with "those guys" (bison) fans on a civil level....don't judge me on identity thieves!! :p

Because we want UND to move with us to the Big Sky (at least, some do). We miss the rivalry mostly but the money was always good too.

I'm sure you've seen the movie Grumpy Old Men. We love to hate each other.

and you are right 1234!! wish we could be there but it's not financially feasible for us right now. DI womens hockey is a drain...and our resources are limited. f* yeah I wish we moved up, but be patient. I sincerely think you guys pulled the trigger too soon...wish you would have had a little patience too but you did what you had to do. I just hope it doesn't cost you (BSC) in the short term and us in the slightly longer term...timing is a BITCH :p

You have to remember that football is everything for us.

A 2-8 2002 season = football staff's heads rolling.

There is no way we get Bohl and co. w/o going DI in a year. I don't think Bohl would've waited around for 5 years, he wanted to be DI this year.

We had the money in place and we found someone relatively close to go with us, so we said lets go for it.

riverman,

in response to your quote

a couple of facts

1. UND would get MORE exposure being DI

2. Your building are going to get OLDER with time

yes, you get great exposure from hockey

and it would be difficult for your buildings to be any newer (i think i've alluded to this things before

I believe that if NDSU is acceptaded into the BSC, UND is going to be very jelous, I will be, and if I am RT, which I'm not, I will be applying, if I'm already not, to join the league. I still can't decided, if ndsu and/or sdsu make the BSC, will they be helpful or not as far as UND getting in? I believe that NDSU and SDSU will be foaming at the mouth to get us to join. It will be a huge draw for all of the games and help out money wise for all tems involved.

I agree completely, and that's why I'd like some evidence that rt is doing some research/preparation. There's gotta be some smoke somewhere on UND's campus.

UND might be left out in the cold on this if NDSU/SDSU get in.

It'll be interesting to see if Notre Dame rebounds and plays Michigan tough or if they really are less talented than Toledo. Judging by what I saw against BYU the other night...you just might be right in your talent assessment! Boy did the college staff on ESPN torch ND in their post-game comments.

This is my first post. I had inteded to wait till the season ended however bison1234 your civility has prompted my to do so now. I am from Crookston and I have watched with complete disgust at the constant bashing of the UMC program. I agree it is not on a par with UND OR NDSU how ever the games have been good (not only Football) for all institutions at some level. I do not agree with your politics however to each there own. When I played ball we were taught to respect our opponent and if beaten to support the continued success of said opponent as it only made us look better. I have been reading this, as well as the bison board for the last three years and in my opinion the sioux board is far more informative which is why I am here the bison board is full of pompus a$$H$$$$. I would like to compliment you and the guy with the helmet (bison) your recent posts leave me to beleive there is hope for you guys. Make no mistake I was a non biased veiwer at one time I love UND but have a soft spot for the Herd as many freinds and family have played for the Herd. I will always follow bison football with interest however after reading comments from you JBB and others it will be some time before I consider myself a NDSU fan. I compliment you however you seem to have matured much in the past year. To bad about JBB however. I know a little interschool rivalry is not only fun but also nesassary, honestly though go back to the smack board at bisonville and think about what you see. I come to the boards to learn about the programs and enjoy the analysis, not listen to the childish banter of people like "Never heard of them". Thank for your attention and please keep striding toward civil competative fun and education for us old guys. By the way I farm as well and if you would like I would like to educate you about agriculture and its relationship to governments and consumers ( i read all your posts).

This is my first post. I had inteded to wait till the season ended however bison1234 your civility has prompted my to do so now. I am from Crookston and I have watched with complete disgust at the constant bashing of the UMC program. I agree it is not on a par with UND OR NDSU how ever the games have been good (not only Football) for all institutions at some level. I do not agree with your politics however to each there own. When I played ball we were taught to respect our opponent and if beaten to support the continued success of said opponent as it only made us look better. I have been reading this, as well as the bison board for the last three years and in my opinion the sioux board is far more informative which is why I am here the bison board is full of pompus a$$H$$$$. I would like to compliment you and the guy with the helmet (bison) your recent posts leave me to beleive there is hope for you guys. Make no mistake I was a non biased veiwer at one time I love UND but have a soft spot for the Herd as many freinds and family have played for the Herd. I will always follow bison football with interest however after reading comments from you JBB and others it will be some time before I consider myself a NDSU fan. I compliment you however you seem to have matured much in the past year. To bad about JBB however. I know a little interschool rivalry is not only fun but also nesassary, honestly though go back to the smack board at bisonville and think about what you see. I come to the boards to learn about the programs and enjoy the analysis, not listen to the childish banter of people like "Never heard of them". Thank for your attention and please keep striding toward civil competative fun and education for us old guys. By the way I farm as well and if you would like I would like to educate you about agriculture and its relationship to governments and consumers ( i read all your posts).

Bravo, DADDAWG!

Just watched Troy State(DI-AA) beat Missouri(DI) 24-14. Who says that UND and NDSU couldn't be doing that to Minnesota some day? They were talking about how Troy has won NAIA and DII national championships and now they are beating DI teams. That is quite the road traveled to go from NAIA to beating DI teams.

For the record:

Football: Alerus Center, opened August 2001

Mens and Womens Hockey: Ralph Engelstad Arena, opened October 2001

Mens and Womens Basketball: Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, opened August 2004

Volleyball: Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, opened August 2004

Soccer (locker rooms): Betty Engelstad Sioux Center, opened August 2004

Wellness Center: under construction, scheduled to open in August 2006.

And who knows what else may be announced in coming days. There's this big space over where hockey and football used to play ....

With all the talk about a facilities arms race on this and other threads, I though it would be interesting to compare facilities between UND and D-I mid-major schools in the five neighboring states that UND would battle for recruits with if we ever went D-I:

School - M BB facility - W BB facility - Football

UND - Ralph / Betty / Alerus (off-campus)

UNI - McLeod Center (construction to begin) / West Gym / UNIdome

UWGB - Resch Center (off-campus) / Phoenix Center/NA

UW-Milwaukee- U.S. Cellular Arena (off-campus) / Klotsche Center / NA

Drake - Knapp Center / Knapp Center / NA

Creighton - Qwest Center (off-campus)/ Civic Aud (off-campus)/NA

NDSU - BSA / BSA / FargoDome

SDSU - Frost / Frost / Coughlin

There are some mighty impressive facilities on this list for men's basketball, considering many other mid-major schools play in glorified high school gyms. Schools with off-campus facilities probably have a slight disadvantage depending on the practice facility.

If each school could sell 9000 tickets for men's conference games, which facility would a potential recruit be most enthused about? How about the women, if an average of 4000 attendance was expected? For football, if 12,000 average attendance was expected?

My winners for “curb appeal” for recruits: Ralph / Betty / FargoDome (if there was a new on-campus football practice center at UND- then UND would win)

Perhaps, even against a tradition-rich program like Creighton, there would be hope that UND could be competitive in recruitment. This recruitment season for basketball will be interesting and it may have an impact in UND's future direction (even if D-I level players say "no" but their eyes popped out during the tour.)