SiouxSports.com Forum

WJ Evaluation Camp

sprig

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody going to the games tonight? I'm planning on going on Fri, I want to see the USA players go against each other. I'm most interested in seeing Bourque play, the numbers he put up at the Midget tourny were incredible - 22 points in 6 games (Duncan had 5 in 6 games).

Hockey in August - I love it.

Anybody going to the games tonight? I'm planning on going on Fri, I want to see the USA players go against each other. I'm most interested in seeing Bourque play, the numbers he put up at the Midget tourny were incredible - 22 points in 6 games (Duncan had 5 in 6 games).

Hockey in August - I love it.

Is that the duncan from shattuck? If so hes a very good player.

The US blue team will be taking on Sweden in less than an hour at the REA (4PM). Stafford will play on the blue team, as will Kessel, who is getting his look at the REA this week.

you want to know a real prospect the siou should look at. NATE HAGEMO. NTDP Very good defence men

Hagemo has committed to Minnesota (changing from his original verbal to Wisco, I believe), as has every other player on these teams that is not already playing D1 hockey (not to MN, but to some D1 program). Kessel is the only uncommitted player on the US team.

Of course, all of those that post here in places other than the HS threads and follow college hockey know that already.

I think there is lots of other players that will wow you other then chris bourque, such as O'sulivan, Dan Fristch, Jake Dowell, and Montoya. And yes Duncan is from Shattuck.

True, but I've seen those guys play before. I've never seen Bourque, the only knock I've heard about him is his size. He is supposed to be a very complete player. Plus if he makes the team maybe Ray will hang out in GF and I can get an autograph at the end of the year. :lol:

Anybody here attempted to connect to the webcast? Still not working for me, looks like technical difficulties again. Guess my webcast payments will have to be categorized into donations to the REA. I'll never learn :lol:

Well, I'm streaming commercials now, with no sound, and the score and game clock appear up in the corner. Sweden up 2-0 with 9 minutes remaining in P1. What a webcast :lol:

Take it back, apparently it's between periods.

Well, dataflix worked for the first half of the second period, then the plug was pulled again. THe announcer obviously didn't know the players names, so it was impossible to tell who was who on the ice.

Thought things were worked out this spring as Sioux games in the REA worked well at season's end, but the problems have started all over again.

They do have this intermission thing down though, as the webcast is streaming fine again during the second intermission.

Definitely got to get those sponsor commercials streamed, although the hockey hasn't worked worth a damn.

Sweden wins 3-0. Third period finally streamed well, not sure who the play by play (Dave Miller?) is, maybe an REA staffer, but it took until nearly the end of the game before he finally started getting player's names in the play by play.

Team obviously hasn't practice together, as they got several PP's and never set up once, although they did get some chances on the rush.

Kessel obviously has extreme speed. Stafford and O'Sullivan played together as they did in the gold medal game last year. and looked pretty good.

Although skills were evident on all these players, the play as a unit did not work well, obviously some practice is needed.

The REA was very empty, not surprising for Tuesday afternoon. Would be nice if the locals created a bit of atmosphere for Kessel (and the other players) to go along with the arena, although I'd guess the chances of Kessel choosing UND are slim.

I watched both games today. The players that I noticed most were: Suter, Jack Johnson (he looks like the real deal IMO), Dan Fritsche, A.J. Thelen, Matt Nickerson, Ryan Callahan, Paul Stastny, Pineault and Robbie Earl. I also sat a few seats down from Ray Bourque for a period. Then he went up to Ralph's suite for the rest of the game. Pretty good action, more so in the first game.

True, but I've seen those guys play before. I've never seen Bourque, the only knock I've heard about him is his size. He is supposed to be a very complete player. Plus if he makes the team maybe Ray will hang out in GF and I can get an autograph at the end of the year. :lol:

You can likely get Ray's auto on Friday. There was a steady of stream of people coming up to him during the first game. I didn't see him turn down anybody's request. Also of note, Peter Forsberg is listed as the team manager for the Swedish team, but I didn't happen to see him, but then I didn't have a good view of the Swedish bench during the first game.

Blais was also in the arena, Hakstol was diligently taking notes during the games and Parise was hanging out at the games with a lady friend.

As for little Borque, he looks to be a good skater with some nifty moves, but he is small - 5'8" - 165 lbs. Matt Nickerson on the other hand is huge and certainly provided a physical presence. I thought O'Sullivan and Stafford looked good up front, but I thought TJ Hensick of Michigan was the best forward for USA in the first game. Suter, Johnson and Hagemo (Gopher fans will be pleased with this young man) looked solid on defense for the blue squad. Goaltender Holt from UNO looked good in relief of Montoya.

Robbie Earl looked okay, but after hearing his quote from this year's draft that all he does is score goals, I found it particularly ironic that he couldn't even hit the net given the opportunities that he had.

I was excited to see Wheeler, but thought he looked slow, gangly and in over his head. He clearly has talent and I know he is young and will likely be very good, but his play today would indicate that he's a ways away from being a contributor at the college level, if that is the route he chooses - it looked to me like the USHL would probably be more beneficial for him, with the physical play, than a return to high school. I was actually surprised how easily he was knocked off his skates by the Swedes.

Kessel is very young with an October '87 birthdate, but he did all right. He skates pretty well but didn't do anything of note and was very average.

Neither game was particularly interesting. I thought the Swedes and Finns were both bigger and more physical than I expected. The USA squads had difficulty generating opportunities and when they did, they couldn't take advantage - it was obvious that they've spent little time skating together.

Anyway, despite the unexciting games, it was nice watching hockey in August.

Thanks for your comments on Wheeler schmidtdoggydog. I do not expect him to make the team considering the returning players and other players who are further along in their development. Sounds like he needs to get stronger and play more. I'm hoping Green Bay is the route he chooses.

If I were Hakstol, I would play up our NHL-size ice when in competition in recruiting with Olympic ice schools. Let's face it, if you have NHL aspirations, wouldn't you want to be playing 75% of your games on the surface you will be playing on at the next level rather than 25%? Things happen a lot faster on the small ice, and being able to practice and play on that daily and in most games would be a benefit I would think. Just watching the World Junior evaluation camp, you can see how fast you had to make a decision with the puck once you got it. Just my 2 cents.

You can likely get Ray's auto on Friday. There was a steady of stream of people coming up to him during the first game. I didn't see him turn down anybody's request. Also of note, Peter Forsberg is listed as the team manager for the Swedish team, but I didn't happen to see him, but then I didn't have a good view of the Swedish bench during the first game.

Robbie Earl looked okay, but after hearing his quote from this year's draft that all he does is score goals, I found it particularly ironic that he couldn't even hit the net given the opportunities that he had.

I was excited to see Wheeler, but thought he looked slow, gangly and in over his head. He clearly has talent and I know he is young and will likely be very good, but his play today would indicate that he's a ways away from being a contributor at the college level, if that is the route he chooses - it looked to me like the USHL would probably be more beneficial for him, with the physical play, than a return to high school. I was actually surprised how easily he was knocked off his skates by the Swedes.

Anyway, despite the unexciting games, it was nice watching hockey in August.

I hate going up to people and asking for an autograph, but I think I'll have to suck it up for Bourque. I'm not big on autographs but anytime I can get someone like his I go for it. My hockey collection includes Gordie Howe, Paul Coffey, Brett Hull, and the Hanson Brothers :lol: .

I don't like that Earl kid, the way he whined about not making the team last year was lame. He has a big ego, you can tell he's from CA.

Wheeler is a work in progress. Cory skated with him at the Gopher camp and wasn't too impressed. He was coming off a pulled muscle (I can't remember which) so he wasn't 100%. I agree the USHL would probably be good for him.

On a side note, Vandeveldie and Lee are both coming back to Moorhead. Moorhead also has 3 players transferring in this year, I'll post their names when I know 100% who they are - maybe skateshatrick already knows? I know one is from International Falls.

Are they selling refreshments at these games? Friday should be a good time.

i live in az but when i go to the ralph one of the best deals ever at a sporting event is the 5.50 32 OZ BEER there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can't beat it....anywhere else your looking at 10.00 for a bomber..go sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!