SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Assets

bincitysioux

Overall, I'd say the Defense is definitely the main asset of this team through the three games.  

D-Coordinator Eric Schmidt called a damn good game  today against SHSU.  Very opportunistic with forcing turnovers from the beginning, and getting off the field in key moments.  We were in the backfield all day it seemed, which is awesome.  Obviously the D won the game in the end.

My main criticism of the D over the past two games is that 3rd and long seems to be kryptonite to this squad!  Especially defending the mobile QB.  Running QBs aren't going away so that needed to be addressed.

The D line is performing better than I expected.  The linebacker corps has been outstanding.  And the secondary is as good as I've seen in recent memory.  It's  been so good that I haven't really noticed Evan Holm's absence yet.

CJ Siegel has especially really stood out to me, as well as Donnel Rogers and Jaxson Turner.

Siegel has been very impressive. Their stud WR had four catches for 11 yards, totally agree our secondary play is the best it’s probably ever been since moving up. And the fact we are doing that with our best DB our is awesome. Schmidt seemed to get s better handle on their QB running in the second half. Great secondary play and starting to figure out mobile QB will be big against EWU. 

• Upvote 1

Hi there, posting my SHSU recap here because the defense was talked up not just by UND, but the schemes were talked up by SHSU, think about the some positives from last week. UND runs a defense with so many different looks they force opponents to adjust on the fly and that can be hard( score in the recap is now correct) https://seamoresports.com/2019/09/14/genius-how-und-defeated-no-24-sam-houston-state-28-24/

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Overall, I'd say the Defense is definitely the main asset of this team through the three games.  

D-Coordinator Eric Schmidt called a damn good game  today against SHSU.  Very opportunistic with forcing turnovers from the beginning, and getting off the field in key moments.  We were in the backfield all day it seemed, which is awesome.  Obviously the D won the game in the end.

My main criticism of the D over the past two games is that 3rd and long seems to be kryptonite to this squad!  Especially defending the mobile QB.  Running QBs aren't going away so that needed to be addressed.

The D line is performing better than I expected.  The linebacker corps has been outstanding.  And the secondary is as good as I've seen in recent memory.  It's  been so good that I haven't really noticed Evan Holm's absence yet.

CJ Siegel has especially really stood out to me, as well as Donnel Rogers and Jaxson Turner.

. The bold part is, as you put it, their kryptonite. It's been kryptonite for years.

Imagine a D that does all that it does, AND stops the running QB on 3rd down. Just so deflating to get a 3rd and long only to have a mobile QB run through the D many times without being touched for 7/8 yards.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

To offense showed what it is capable of today, and it was pretty damn impressive overall, save for a couple couple of series.

No question by my eyes that Brock Boltman is the best offensive player on the team.  At minimum, he should be in the game as a WR for nearly every snap.  His TD catch was pretty darn impressive on a ball that I was say was sort of poorly thrown.  From what I've seen from him so far this year, I'd like to see him behind center for 10-20% of the plays in the Wildcat.  Nobody has shown they can defend it thus far.  

I agree, was crazy they stopped using him in second half as the QB from time to time, especially when we were struggling.   I'm hoping Danny learns from this second half, Davis must have made some adjustments, but we didn't really counter.   Masterful first half though.

13 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, was crazy they stopped using him in second half as the QB from time to time, especially when we were struggling.   I'm hoping Danny learns from this second half, Davis must have made some adjustments, but we didn't really counter.   Masterful first half though.

Bubba needs to learn from it, also.

UND had full control of the game in the first half with an agressive offensive mindset, up 28-14. Right before halftime, though, for some unknown reason other than it’s the staff’s style, the switch was flipped. UND went ultra conservative on offense and UC Davis got right back in the game. 

I don’t care if UND is up 14, up 30, tied, or down 14, Bubba and Freund need to adjust and realize this version of UND football (that is, the 2019 team) is at its best when they are being aggressive and creative on offense.

Please, for the love of God, stay away from offensive Bubba ball. It is football poison, as evidenced over the past 6 years. 

That is the adjustment and lesson needed to be learned from the UC Davis game. Now, let’s see if Freund and Bubba adjust. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bubba needs to learn from it, also.

UND had full control of the game in the first half with an agressive offensive mindset, up 28-14. Right before halftime, though, for some unknown reason other than it’s the staff’s style, the switch was flipped. UND went ultra conservative on offense and UC Davis got right back in the game. 

I don’t care if UND is up 14, up 30, tied, or down 14, Bubba and Freund need to adjust and realize this version of UND football (that is, the 2019 team) is at its best when they are being aggressive and creative on offense.

Please, for the love of God, stay away from offensive Bubba ball. It is football poison, as evidenced over the past 6 years. 

That is the adjustment and lesson needed to be learned from the UC Davis game. Now, let’s see if Freund and Bubba adjust. 

Bubba should honestly leave everything that involves the offense to Freund. He needs to just let his coordinators do their thing.