SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol in? Don't be too sure

PCM

I'll only do it if I get the title "Chief Custodial Engineer" ....

Virg Foss is reporting that "Greyeagle" beat you to it. :p:D

The characterization of this as a big circus by sprig is the best summary I've seen so far.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are saying rt is the best source because he's responsible for hiring?

Wouldn't that follow logically?

RT can't and won't say anything until the process has been followed. The process has given them one applicant.

Virg Foss is reporting that "Greyeagle" beat you to it. ;):p

The characterization of this as a big circus by sprig is the best summary I've seen so far.

Been there.....done that. ;):D;) Virc called me this morning. Said he got my number from "The Sickdakota." :)

BTW - Two degrees later I still work for the same corporation....and have never needed a student loan. Tuition reimbursement is the way to go my friends. ;)

UND Proud - Thanks for your insight into the UND hiring process, very interesting.

...credible anon. scources...

Talk about your oxymorons. :D

Look, deeks, having worked in journalism, I know what my experience is with anonymous sources and journalists who use them. My opinions weren't formed by watching ESPN.

To me, any time I see an anonymous source quoted in a news story, it's code for "lazy journalism" or "sloppy work." I'm not saying that this is the case with the Herald's story because I truly don't know. However, your faith in anonymous sources is extremely misguided.

Talk about your oxymorons. :D

Look, deeks, having worked in journalism, I know what my experience is with anonymous sources and journalists who use them. My opinions weren't formed by watching ESPN.

To me, any time I see an anonymous source quoted in a news story, it's code for "lazy journalism" or "sloppy work." I'm not saying that this is the case with the Herald's story because I truly don't know. However, your faith in anonymous sources is extremely misguided.

PCM - Typically isn't it two sources & confimation before print and only one can/should be anonymous?

I'm not a journalist and it's been a while since I watched All The Presidents Men." :p

Been there.....done that. ;):D;) Virc called me this morning. Said he got my number from "The Sickdakota." ;)

BTW - Two degrees later I still work for the same corporation....and have never needed a student loan. Tuition reimbursement is the way to go my friends. ;)

UND Proud - Thanks for your insight into the UND hiring process, very interesting.

"Sickdakota"? Are you sure you weren't talking to Grandpa Sid? Or was he off talking to Twins first baseman Doug "Mankewitz"? :)

Graduate degree and tuition reimbursement is a good combination. ;)

OBLIGATORY THREAD-BASED CONTENT:

One applicant. One.

I've posted links to other USCHO articles that I've written and nobody seemed to have a problem with that. The only reason I posted the link was because I thought some people might be interested to know that Roger Thomas had spoken to other candidates and was aware of their interest.

For the record, anyone who writes anything about the Sioux is not only welcome, but encouraged to note it here. Pat's USCHO articles are even a bit of a special case in that he has extra access, and has a history of having written extensively about the Sioux for this site, USCHO, and others.

However, a link to your opinion of last week's game posted on Bob's musings site would also be just as welcome. This is a message board, not the front page.

I'd like nothing more than to see the Herald with egg on its face. I'm not a fan of the paper and don't care for Virg's Sid-like style. But I've got a suspicion that the UND's administration is in major damage control here because of its own doing.

Mind you, I have no info to support this, just a hunch, so take that for what its worth. But I think that Thomas did offer Hakstol the job. The embarrassment from the Herald story put him in full spin control and now pressure from alumni may actually have him withdrawing the offer to Hakstol and going national with a search.

The biggest irony is let's say the Sioux go with Hakstol. Now say in another three or four years and another NC later Lucia gets the itch to try the NHL.

Who do you think the Gophers would go after? Promote Guenzel finally? Maybe, but more likely it would be a search like the last one and they could zero in on Sandelin. :D

As for anonymous sources, they almost always have their own agendas and best interests in mind when they decide to leak information. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. There's always an ulterior motive involved. They chose to remain anonymous because if their efforts to influence events go awry, they aren't responsible. How convenient for them.

Seriously? :D

Sayitaintso.

;):p

So here we have the two main characters in this plot both denying what the Herald's anonymous source said, but we should all believe what a nameless, faceless person who's leaking information for God only knows what reason says. I'm glad that I'm no longer that gullible.

The thing is that even if UND may eventually hire Hakstol, the Herald (VF) are still full of it. The only way they would gain credibility (it probably wouldn't last, but I'd at least admit they got this one right) in my mind is if Hakstol is named by 7/9/04.

Hakstol could easily be the best choice, but unless a national search is done nobody will know for sure.

As for anonymous sources, they almost always have their own agendas and best interests in mind when they decide to leak information. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. There's always an ulterior motive involved. They chose to remain anonymous because if their efforts to influence events go awry, they aren't responsible. How convenient for them.

I respectfully disagree. That may be the case occasionally, but I don't think that you can generalize like that. Many times, anonymous sources are persons very close to the situation, such as close friends, spouses or colleagues who do not want to reveal confidential information or be subject to scrutiny for revealing that information. For example, a coach may tell his spouse or close family members or friends that they have been offered a job, but that does not mean that person would reveal that information publicly. Those sources, however, sometimes talk anonymously.

That may be the case occasionally, but I don't think that you can generalize like that.

There's a possibility that I've grown cynical or jaded in my old age. :D However, based on my experience, people tell things to the media because having certain information publicly revealed is either to their advantage or somebody else's disadvantage.

People always have reasons or rationalizations for leaking information, and the media always has reasons and rationalizations for using it. But when you strip those away, the bottom line is that the leaker has something to gain by making the information public.

There are times when it's necessary to preserve anonymity, such as when the consequences of revealing the source is literally a matter of life or death. But the hiring of a new hockey coach at UND doesn't quite fall into that category.

So, why would some anonymous source make it up?

The anonymous source might very well have believed that what he/she said was true. It's also possible that the source misconstrued, misunderstood, misrepresented, embellished or misinterpreted what he/she heard or was told.

Another possibility is that the source might not be "in the loop" as much as he/she claimed. But not knowing who he/she is, we have no way to discern how knowledgeable or well-connected the source is.

The question I'd ask is: Why is it so important for the source of this information to remain anonymous?

RT could not offer the position to DH until it had passed through all the channels. That usually take a day or two following the interviews in the very best of circumstances. The only thing he could have done would be to talk to him in generals,( ie.. you have a very good chance, since there will not be any other qualified internal applicants - here's the salary range and benefits we are looking at, ect.) Therefore, the source is not quite perfect in telling their tale to the herald. If RT had offered the position to DH early, there could be real big legal problems with EEOC and RT is way to smart to do something like that. I have seen the person selected not offered the position once it gets to affirmative action or personal for someother reason that the department overlooked so there is no way RT would offer a position early. That's just what I know from personal experience. Again, PCM is much closer to the truth than the Herald in this matter but who will be our coach is still up in the air at this point.