SiouxSports.com Forum

Looks like Hakstol is going to get the job

jloos

UND keeps search for hockey coach internal; move gives Hakstol edge for job

WDAY Radio

Published Wednesday, June 30, 2004

The University of North Dakota has decided to start its search for a new head hockey coach from within, a move that could give interim hockey coach Dave Hakstol the inside track at taking over at the national hockey power.

UND spokesman Phil Harmeson said Wednesday a national search for a successor to former UND hockey coach Dean Blais is unlikely.

The head coaching job is now posted on UND's internal employment Web site, which means applicants must be current university employees.

The move is a strong indicator that Hakstol, the former assistant head coach and leading internal candidate for the job, will be picked to lead the Fighting Sioux hockey squad.

Another possible candidate for the position is Brad Berry, an assistant coach who had assumed Hakstol's old position on an interim basis.

Harmeson told WDAY Radio that the university prefers to hire its applicants from within.

Harmeson said a national search for a new head coach will not be launched unless a qualified UND applicant can't be found. There has been no final decision on whether to launch a national search, he said.

The position will be posted internally for five days, Harmeson said.

When Blais announced his departure last week, UND athletic director Roger Thomas would not speculate on whether either coach would be given the title permanently.

"Right now our university president (Dr. Charles Kupchella) is out of the country and isn't able to be reached," Thomas said. "He returns on the sixth (of July). I'd like to discuss our procedure with him."

Hakstol, who played at UND from 1989-92, has been a member of the Sioux coaching staff since the 2000-01 season. He was originally hired as an assistant and was elevated to associate head coach in December of 2000 when Blais left the team for a week.

If UND doesn't hire a head coach from within, there are three possible candidates with ties to the school who are head coaches in the Midwest.

Current Minnesota-Duluth head coach Scott Sandelin, a 1986 UND graduate, held Hakstol's position at UND before accepting the job in Duluth four years ago. Last season, Sandelin led the upstart Bulldogs to their first NCAA Frozen Four appearance in 19 years.

Another Sioux great from the 1980s, Steve Johnson, head coach of the USHL's Lincoln Stars, is a second name which has surfaced as a candidate. Over the past seven seasons, Johnson has led the Stars to two Clark Cup championships, three Anderson Cup championships and guided the 1998 USHL Select Team to a gold medal at the Four Nations tournament. He started his coaching career in 1995 with the Fargo-Moorhead Bears.

Warroad, Minn., High School head coach Cary Eades is also a candidate for the head coaching job and may also be likely to accept an assistant coaching position with the Sioux. Eades skated for UND from 1978-82. He has led the Warriors to three Class 2A Minnesota High School state titles since 1994.

While he says he will play no factor in the final decision, Blais has already acknowledged who he thinks should replace him.

"You never know what's going to happen, but when Scott (Sandelin) left and went to UMD, we brought in Dave Hakstol because we knew he would do a great job and he's definitely ready to be a head coach," Blais said last week. "But it's not my decision to make."

There is also some uncertainty among the returning players.

After Saturday's NHL entry draft, there are 10 current Sioux players who have been drafted by NHL teams. Sophomore forward Drew Stafford and incoming freshman Travis Zajac were both taken in the first round Saturday.

Greene isn't sure how the coaching change will affect his decision or any of his teammates' to stay at UND.

"It's a tough call," said Greene, a 2002 draft pick of the Edmonton Oilers. "We all have an allegiance to the coach, but you have to look at the big picture. You play for your coach, but you also play for your teammates as well."

(This article includes material from The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead. Both WDAY Radio and The Forum are part of Forum Communications Co.)

Hakstol's head coaching record:

Coaching [notes]

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1996-97 Sioux-City Musketeers USHL Head Coach

Perhaps some are reading too much into this. This statement is on the UND Office of Human Resources Web site:

UND provides all eligible regular staff employees the opportunity to apply for vacant staff positions prior to external recruitment. All regular position vacancies will be listed internally for a period of five working days.

just because the job was opened internally doenst mean they cant or wont open it nationally...they have to open it internally before they open it up to anyone...eoe laws apply so i am not sure how you can read into that whole statement....

UND spokesman Phil Harmeson said Wednesday a national search for a successor to former UND hockey coach Dean Blais is unlikely.

This is the part I'm reading, I don't know how the hiring process works, but it sounds like Harmeson is the guy making the decisions.

I hope it does open up nationally, I think Johnson would be the #1 candidate, his coaching record:

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1995-96 Fargo-Moorhead Bears USHL Head Coach 46 27 17 1 1 0.598

1996-97 Lincoln Stars USHL Head Coach 54 40 13 0 1 0.741

1997-98 Lincoln Stars USHL Head Coach 56 38 17 0 1 0.679

1998-99 Lincoln Stars USHL Head Coach 56 29 20 0 7 0.518

1999-00 Lincoln Stars USHL Head Coach 58 41 16 0 1 0.707

2000-01 Lincoln Stars USHL Head Coach 56 43 7 0 6 0.768

2001-02 Lincoln Stars USHL Head Coach 61 43 15 3 0 0.730

2002-03 Lincoln Stars USHL Head Coach 60 37 14 0 9 0.617

These are very impressive numbers, although I believe he suffered his first losing season last year.

This is the part I'm reading, I don't know how the hiring process works, but it sounds like Harmeson is the guy making the decisions.

The Harmeson quote is the most interesting part of the story. However, given the fact that whoever wrote the story apparently wasn't aware that advertising UND positions internally is standard operating procedure, it makes me suspicious of the quote's accuracy.

That story is a total jumble:

... UND spokesman Phil Harmeson said Wednesday a national search for a successor to former UND hockey coach Dean Blais is unlikely. ...

The head coaching job is now posted on UND's internal employment Web site, which means applicants must be current university employees. ...

Harmeson told WDAY Radio that the university prefers to hire its applicants from within.

Harmeson said a national search for a new head coach will not be launched unless a qualified UND applicant can't be found.

There has been no final decision on whether to launch a national search, he said.

The position will be posted internally for five days, Harmeson said. ...

If UND doesn't hire a head coach from within, there are three possible candidates with ties to the school who are head coaches in the Midwest.

OK, so no national search or no decision on that yet?

Sure, UND prefers to hire from within and I prefer winning PowerBall tickets ....

And no national search yet list Midwestern candidates? Midwestern? No John Marks?

I'm siding with PCM on this one: This looks like UND open position standard operating procedure. They'd be crazy not to look.

IMO, if UND does not do a national search, Hakstol's tenure as coach will start with a taint. This is a national program, not the lap dog of somebody's father-in-law, and the appointment of a head coach should be treated with that level of diligence, regardless of meely-mouthed comments about "summer recruiting". Do the job right, the first time.

The Harmeson quote is the most interesting part of the story. However, given the fact that whoever wrote the story apparently wasn't aware that advertising UND positions internally is standard operating procedure, it makes me suspicious of the quote's accuracy.

I didn't realize that. You would think they would make an exception for athletic coaching positions. Looks like I jumped the gun a little. :)

I think UND absolutely has to go through the effort to find the best candidate to replace DB. This is not a slam on Hak, who may be the eventual winner, but the position is too imprtant to leave to convenience. Is a letter campaign to RT called for here?

I think UND absolutely has to go through the effort to find the best candidate to replace DB. This is not a slam on Hak, who may be the eventual winner, but the position is too imprtant to leave to convenience.

Like John Marks said on the radio this morning... compare it to the basketball coach at Duke, or the football coach at Notre Dame. Its not a decision to take lightly. If, after reviewing all of the candidates, Hakstol is the number one guy... that's great. But DamStraight is right... don't make the decision one out of convienence.

Agreed. I think a nice parallel about the perils of choosing a departed head coach's assistant without a serious search can be found at Nebraska after Osborne retired.

Moreover, when Gino left, UND conducted a search and did not pass the keys to his then-assistants.

If Hakstol is hired fine, but don't just give him the job because he's in the f'ing room. This is one of the premiere jobs in college hockey, and I'm sure there's a pretty big pool of guys at other programs who would love to fill Blais' skates.

This is from the same company that allowed a headline reading "UND hockey leadership in flux: Blais' departure leaves future of Sioux program in doubt".

Yep, the future of the program is very much in doubt. :)

The ignorance seems to be contagious.

Absolutely there needs to be a search to find the BEST coach possible. This is not a job that your average high school coach would be a finalist for. This is a job where coaches already in place at any other school would be foolish not to look into. Certainly not something that should be done on a whim.

But, as alumni, who do you look to in the Alumni Association, that would stress to the UND administration that they better get this right? The leading candidate's father-in-law? Or how about his wife? ;)

Dave Hakstol seems to be very fortunate in meeting Erin O'Keefe. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

I trust that they'll do this the right way. And if that means they hire Dave Hakstol, so be it. I'm sure he'll do fine. I just don't want to see him get the job simply by default.

By the way, we all will still be Sioux fans no matter who they hire. It's all good. ;)

Is a letter campaign to RT called for here?

I've been thinking the same thing, I don't think it would hurt to have our voices heard.

This is not a knock on Hak, but I also believe this has to be opened up nationally.

After they have opened it up nationally and interviewed all the applicants and they still want Hak, then at least they can say that they opened up the position to everyone. If they do not do this, they will start his coaching tenure off on the wrong foot.

For what it's worth - CBS sports guy Rich Lodwig? reported that UND will name a coach next week, he cited Roger Thomas. He hinted that the only reason a coach hasn't been named sooner is that UND has a policy of keeping any job opening open for at least 5 business days. Again for what it's worth, none of the local TV guys seem to know much about UND hockey. However the channel 4 guy seems to be the most hockey knowledgeable, he seemed to do more stories on the Sioux than the others.

The job is the Hakmeister's and that would be an alright deal by me. Do we really want a Jerry York-type, some clown from the CCHA, or from anywhere else for that matter? Who in the WCHA besides, perhaps, Sandy, merits even remote consideration? No one, that's who.

Let it be said here and now. Dave Hakstol will continue building on a dynasty. He will stay at the helm for the next 30-35 years, and will become the most-winning coach in all of college hockey history. He will bring at least ten, maybe fifteen, titles and banners to Grand Forks.

Let the knashing of teeth and the wringing of hands terminate.

The job is the Hakmeister's and that would be an alright deal by me. Do we really want a Jerry York-type, some clown from the CCHA, or from anywhere else for that matter? Who in the WCHA besides, perhaps, Sandy, merits even remote consideration? No one, that's who.

Guentzel at Minnesota, Dave?

I do not like the thought of hiring Guentzel. He does nothing to distinguish himself over Dave. Scott?

Yeah, standing behind the bench for Back-to-Back Titles is pretty shameful compared to a stellar career coaching a USHL team. Then again, Guentzel isn't related to half of the staff at the alumni center.

Did not know that the Hakster was horned in on the alumni folk.

Just goes to show that the guy is also long on brains and foresight, as well as a fine motivator and proven recruiter.

We've all seen both Guentzel and the Hak working behind the bench. From where I sit, the Hakster is a working coach, calling shots, making moves. Guentzel is more of a "head nodder." "Good job Coach. Nice move Coach. Good job."

Tied into the O'Keefers is he. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.