SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Draft

redwing77

Figured I'd start this thread.

So far, we're at pick number 8 (I think).

Big surprise is that Phoenix took the #31 pick #5th overall in Blake Wheeler.

He must have a big upside because, from the sound of it, only UMinn and the Phoenix organization sees it. I'm not saying he's not a first rounder, but I would NEVER have chosen him this high.

Also is it me or is it simply amazing how seemingly underweight? A lot of 6'2" plus, sub-200lb players being drafted high.

Wheeler is a very good player, so it isn't just the Gophers who liked him. I'm surpised he went so high though. The Coyotes could've traded their second round pick and a couple players to move up to a late first round pick to get him.

Stafford taken by Buffalo at #13.

I liked how that Boris really tall dman went so high. They pretty much said he is a very rough player who can't do alot well, but he's big. So silly. A guy like Radke sounds much more talented and sound then this Boris guy, but Radke is like a 5th round pick.

He must have a big upside because, from the sound of it, only UMinn and the Phoenix organization sees it.

You do realize that just about every top college program in the country wanted Wheeler, right?

I think it is good news for NoDak fans that Buffalo took Stafford. With their tight wallet, he is more likely to be around longer I'd bet.

You do realize that just about every top college program in the country wanted Wheeler, right?.

Redwings's goofy, so just ignore him. ;)

I really like the Wild taking Thelen. He's a heck of a player and should get even better.

Funny how the Oilers drafted that goalie who is just huge and they were talking about how it could be a bad thing that he is so big and thus klutzy. Yet Goehring is too small. Which is it that a goalie should be? Big or small? :D

I really like the Wild taking Thelen. He's a heck of a player and should get even better.

I really like that pick too. Not only a local kid but a damn good player. With apologies to the other freshman out there, I thought Thelen was the best frosh I saw all year long. Especially for a kid who came into college a year early.

Never said Wheeler was a bad player. I don't think he's anywhere close to top 10 material, though.

I agree that Thelen was a great pick by the Wild. They are great at chosing defensemen. They needed a sure thing and they got it. Of course, choosing Thelen means that, unless there is a dark horse out there (aka miracle), once again shows Minnesota's devotion to having Gaborik being the only offensive threat on the team.

Minnesota regardless will end up at or around 500 next season (if there is one). However, Minnesota's record will be decieving as Minnesota's Team GAA, GA, and save percentage will be close to the top of the league.

New Jersey takes Zajac!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that Thelen was a great pick by the Wild. They are great at chosing defensemen. They needed a sure thing and they got it. Of course, choosing Thelen means that, unless there is a dark horse out there (aka miracle), once again shows Minnesota's devotion to having Gaborik being the only offensive threat of the team.

Once Tukonen was gone for the Wild though, Thelen was pretty much the best player they could take. Perhaps they could've taken Stafford, but Drew isn't considered a real high powered scorer. They also could've taken Schwarz, the goalie from the Czech Republic. Where is Miko Koiuvu playing? He was their pick 3 years ago and I haven't even heard anything about him since. Has he signed with the Wild or anything? :D

The Devils taking Zajac bodes well for him. They always make good picks.

Two first rounders, now, for the Gophers too. Wheeler and Chucko go in the first round.

Another amazing pick. I thought Chucko was slated to go in the early second round.

With the way things are going, maybe Kyle Radke could go earlier than the 5th Round? Hard to say.

Anyone know how many rounds there will be today?

Once Tukonen was gone for the Wild though, Thelen was pretty much the best player they could take. Perhaps they could've taken Stafford, but Drew isn't considered a real high powered scorer. They also could've taken Schwarz, the goalie from the Czech Republic. Where is Miko Koiuvu playing? He was their pick 3 years ago and I haven't even heard anything about him since. Has he signed with the Wild or anything? :D

The Devils taking Zajac bodes well for him. They always make good picks.

Mikko Koivu is still playing for TPS Turku. His stats are at http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=56074

He is still young and so he may take a while to develop, but I don't know that he will ever be near the level of Gaborik or his older brother Saku...the rumor is that if there is a seaon next year the Wild will bring Mikko to the USA to play for the Houston Aeros (Wild's AHL affiliate) so that he can begin developing and adjusting to the North American style of hockey...hopefully he is not a bust for the Wild because they need more offense.

With the move officially announced, now the question is what type of fallout this could have on the North Dakota program.

Sophomore-to-be Drew Stafford, who is also in Raleigh this weekend earmarked as a first-round draft choice, said that Blais' departure could have impact on whether he'll return to Grand Forks for his sophomore year.

"It's a surprise," said Stafford. "It definitely does change things a little for me.

With the move officially announced, now the question is what type of fallout this could have on the North Dakota program.

Sophomore-to-be Drew Stafford, who is also in Raleigh this weekend earmarked as a first-round draft choice, said that Blais' departure could have impact on whether he'll return to Grand Forks for his sophomore year.

"It's a surprise," said Stafford. "It definitely does change things a little for me.

We're all nervous, but next-day indications seem positive. Here's a few quotes from June 26 articles:

Stafford, the Sioux sophomore-to-be who was taken No. 13 overall by Buffalo, also said he was returning to North Dakota, despite Blais' departure.

from this artlicle: http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/06/26_008570.php

Stafford, who finished his rookie year at UND with 32 points, said he expected to be a high draft pick but plans to return to UND next season.

and

No matter who ends up with the job, "I have all the faith in the world that we'll be able to continue on and be successful," Stafford said. "We should be front-runners for bringing back the national championship next year."

and

Brandon Bochenski, an All-American forward last season and a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award given to college hockey's top player, said he also will return to UND.

Bochenski, a 2001 draft pick of the Ottawa Senators, said he wants a national championship in his senior season next year. The Fighting Sioux last season lost to eventual national champion Denver in the NCAA West Regional championship.

from this article:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...&section=Sports

Haven't seen anything from Greene or Jones... .

I believe this is the first time that TWO first round picks were UND hockey players. (My memory only goes back to 1977 or so.)

Plus all the returning talent, drafted and some not drafted.

As a fan, I am still a bit stunned by the rapid rise in the level of talent coming into the program. Facilities have a big role in that (The Ralph) ... including the rehab facilities to deal with injuries quickly and effectively, and the weight room.

Only 104 days until the puck drops in Orono.

I'd agreed with Rewing77, Blake Wheeler is a good player and he is only a junior, but I don't think he should be picked that high. Brian Gifford from Moorhead Spud got picked 85th, I thought that was huge for the school.

Though it stinks, Radke getting overlooked wasn't totally unexpected.

He is 5'11" 175lbs, rather small for an NHL defenseman. This is not saying that he cannot be signed as a free agent. NHL teams probably want to watch and see how he is doing by the end of his college career before making a decision.

If the BCHL is rarely scouted, the AJHL is even less so.

My opinion.

Hey, you guys need to learn more about the Wild before talking about Mikko. He will be playing in the AHL only if there ISN'T an NHL season next year. Because regardless of wether there is an NHL season or not, the AHL will play. If there is an NHL season next year, the entire organization and the whole fan base who follow the team extensively, fully expect him to be on the Wild next season. Koivu is still considered a top flight prospect by all the scouts and people who have seen him play. If you look at his stats, they seem to be a little low, but in that league, they don't usually give a second assist for goals, which would deflate his numbers a little. Another reason he hasn't come over already is because of his military obligations to Finland he had to fulfill. He will never have the goal scoring ability that Gabby has, but he will be a better playmaker. I am fully expecting him to be on one of the top two lines for the Wild next season (barring a lockout/strike).

Hey, you guys need to learn more about the Wild before talking about Mikko. He will be playing in the AHL only if there ISN'T an NHL season next year. Because regardless of wether there is an NHL season or not, the AHL will play. If there is an NHL season next year, the entire organization and the whole fan base who follow the team extensively, fully expect him to be on the Wild next season. Koivu is still considered a top flight prospect by all the scouts and people who have seen him play. If you look at his stats, they seem to be a little low, but in that league, they don't usually give a second assist for goals, which would deflate his numbers a little. Another reason he hasn't come over already is because of his military obligations to Finland he had to fulfill. He will never have the goal scoring ability that Gabby has, but he will be a better playmaker. I am fully expecting him to be on one of the top two lines for the Wild next season (barring a lockout/strike).

On a more sarcastic note: I'd expect Koivu to be on the top 2 lines of the Wild if he shows even the slightest tendency towards being an offensive forward. As questionable as Bochenski's skating has been in the past, if Bo were to get traded to the Wild and signed the next day, he'd be on the first line of the Wild if you categorize each line by offensive talent. Yes, I believe the Wild to be THAT bereft of scoring talent.