SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia...

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the move officially announced, now the question is what type of fallout this could have on the North Dakota program.

Sophomore-to-be Drew Stafford, who is also in Raleigh this weekend earmarked as a first-round draft choice, said that Blais' departure could have impact on whether he'll return to Grand Forks for his sophomore year.

"It's a surprise," said Stafford. "It definitely does change things a little for me.

Sophomore-to-be Drew Stafford, who is also in Raleigh this weekend earmarked as a first-round draft choice, said that Blais' departure could have impact on whether he'll return to Grand Forks for his sophomore year

So your prediction is what? That Buffalo will pay the better two way player Stafford to leave college, leaving Vanek behind, or will they pay Vanek, both Vanek and Stafford, or neither.

I don't know if Stafford will be back next season, but his chances are much higher than if he had gone in the top ten.

If Stafford is a question mark, then Blake Wheeler will be a big question mark. Will he make it to Minneapolis? Will he drop the bomb on the Gophers and sign with a major junior team? Will he sign with Phoenix before or after his freshman year at Minnesota?

All in all, whatever happens to Stafford, we did get a solid year of his play at UND (worst case scenario). I'm happy with that. We'll have to watch Mr. Wheeler next year whether he stays at Breck or goes off to juniors.

And there is the very real possibility that I may be wrong and Wheeler comes to the Gophers and stays for 3-4 years. Hard to tell right now. Wheeler is only a junior in high school.

I know everyone is depressed and the sky is falling and all that, but I don't understand all the sudden speculation of player departures.

Bochenski and Greene have been on the "definite possibility" list all summer; they would both apparently be pleased to be back, but if their respective teams think their development would be better served by moving to a higher level of hockey, and the teams back up that opinion with a quality offer, then they certainly might move on. This might be the case for Bochenski because he's getting old chronologically, and for Greene because he was a relatively high pick. I don't see how Blais' decision affects their decisions.

Buffalo won't even sign Vanek. Why would they sign Stafford, who must be two years younger (haven't checked)? And what would Stafford gain by going MJ? He's slated to play a lot here, in important situations, with plenty more time at UND to lift and develop physically than he would have playing more games in MJ.

Murray's family is just North of GF, and I don't think Murray was here because of ZP as much as people think (it may have been a little bit the other way around, despite the timing of their commitments).

Zajac's family is also close (Winnipeg). I'm sure they're looking forward to the short drive to see him dish the puck off to Bochenski or Stafford for the easy tap-in that Chucko enjoyed so much last season.

When ZP left, Blais said something like: Sioux hockey won before Zach, and it will win after him. Well, the same will be said for Coach Blais. Believe it or not, there's more to Sioux hockey than Coach Blais, and I'm sure he would be the first to agree with that. I don't mean to minimize his loss, and it is absolutely crucial that the administration makes the right hiring decision (thank you, captain obvious), but the program is in about as strong a position as it could be in to weather the loss of a coach like Blais. Once the shock wears off, this will be an exciting time.

When ZP left, Blais said something like: Sioux hockey won before Zach, and it will win after him. Well, the same will be said for Coach Blais.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's not like Blais was going to be here forever....the man is mortal. He may have left a bit sooner than people thought/hoped, but the speculation of Blais going pro has been circulating for quite a few years now, so it wasn't a total surprise. UND fans are sad to see him go, but I don't understand how a coach going to a pro team warrants flaming. :D

What I am excited to see now is whether Karl Goerhing will be given a chance or not with the Bluejackets now that Blais is on board.

I lived in Grand Forks my whole life until last year, loved it, I just hung out with the wrong people and was going nowhere. Moved to the cities in October, blows donkey cack, and the rate of pay isn 't much better here vs the cost of living. Most people work at least two jobs down here. Unfortunatly if you can get in to see a college hockey game down here the arena sucks, you can't walk during intermissions, and you have to bring your own food and drink if you don't want to miss half the game. :)

I lived in Grand Forks my whole life until last year, loved it, I just hung out with the wrong people and was going nowhere. Moved to the cities in October, blows donkey cack, and the rate of pay isn 't much better here vs the cost of living. Most people work at least two jobs down here. Unfortunatly if you can get in to see a college hockey game down here the arena sucks, you can't walk during intermissions, and you have to bring your own food and drink if you don't want to miss half the game.  ;)

what the heck you talking about? I know of maybe one person w/ two jobs, I have no problem walking during intermissions, getting food/drink and I think the arena is just fine for a college game... :)

WPoS

what the heck you talking about? I know of maybe one person w/ two jobs, I have no problem walking during intermissions, getting food/drink and I think the arena is just fine for a college game... :)

WPoS

Dangit, WPoS, we're trying to slam the cities here. Please play along... you know, "When in Rome"... ;)

I think the flood in Grand Forks shows the quality of the folks that live up there. Hard to find a place that can boast the hockey program, football program, girls b-ball program, the Ralph, the Alerus, the Pepper, the Palmer Course, Whitey's, and so on...

So from a person who lives in a bigger city, I am envious of those people who call Grand Forks home.

I don't know if Stafford will be back next season, but his chances are much higher than if he had gone in the top ten.

If Stafford is a question mark, then Blake Wheeler will be a big question mark. Will he make it to Minneapolis? Will he drop the bomb on the Gophers and sign with a major junior team? Will he sign with Phoenix before or after his freshman year at Minnesota?

All in all, whatever happens to Stafford, we did get a solid year of his play at UND (worst case scenario). I'm happy with that. We'll have to watch Mr. Wheeler next year whether he stays at Breck or goes off to juniors.

And there is the very real possibility that I may be wrong and Wheeler comes to the Gophers and stays for 3-4 years. Hard to tell right now. Wheeler is only a junior in high school.

Wheeler will play in Green Bay next year. If he fills out and has an impact year in the USHL, he could be long gone before ever becoming a Gopher.

I lived in Grand Forks my whole life until last year, loved it, I just hung out with the wrong people and was going nowhere. Moved to the cities in October, blows donkey cack, and the rate of pay isn 't much better here vs the cost of living. Most people work at least two jobs down here. Unfortunatly if you can get in to see a college hockey game down here the arena sucks, you can't walk during intermissions, and you have to bring your own food and drink if you don't want to miss half the game. :)

You're high. Mariucci is a great place to watch hockey. I agree that the cities is a bit too chaotic, but to bad mouth one of the best venue's to view hockey is over the top. If your having too much trouble making it to the concession stands, why don't park your fat ass on the couch and watch the games on TV.

Wheeler will play in Green Bay next year. If he fills out and has an impact year in the USHL, he could be long gone before ever becoming a Gopher.

I'll paraphrase a quote from the Great One in the Star Tribute "We're (Phoenix) in no hurry here. We'll let him (Wheeler) finish grade 12 and then see what it looks like from there." Sounds like Wheeler has as good a chance of going MJ or directly to Phoenix as he does Minnesota...He's a junior in high school, is 6'4" and weighs 195 - think about it...He's a foot taller than ol' what's-his-name at AA...

I'll paraphrase a quote from the Great One in the Star Tribute "We're (Phoenix) in no hurry here. We'll let him (Wheeler) finish grade 12 and then see what it looks like from there." Sounds like Wheeler has as good a chance of going MJ or directly to Phoenix as he does Minnesota...He's a junior in high school, is 6'4" and weighs 195 - think about it...He's a foot taller than ol' what's-his-name at AA...

Apparently you must have missed the comments during the draft in which Coyotes GM Dave Draper said one of the factors they felt good about in taking him is he would develop in a great college program like Minnesota.

You also neglected Wheeler's own comments in that article that you pulled the Gretzky comment from (btw, I think you are misinterpreting Gretzky's comment. All he was stating was that there was no reason to rush the kid).

"It's up to him. He's a really astute young man and a great athlete. He's got his whole life ahead of him," Gretzky said. "He's just a young kid. There's no race here. We know that what we drafted is a young man, we expect him to be with us for a long time and we're not going to race him."

It is pretty clear Wheeler's desire is to play for the Gophers. Calling it one of his dreams.

You also neglected Wheeler's own comments in that article that you pulled the Gretzky comment from (btw, I think you are misinterpreting Gretzky's comment. All he was stating was that there was no reason to rush the kid). It is pretty clear Wheeler's desire is to play for the Gophers. Calling it one of his dreams.

I would bet its safe to assume that Wheeler would probably play in college for a couple of years. It ussaully takes longer for defensemen to develop to a level where they can play in the NHL.

Good for the Great one in suggesting they not rush a kid into the next level. Its getting tiresome watching all of these great college players leave college early for the the NHL only to get stuck in the minors.

I would bet its safe to assume that Wheeler would probably play in college for a couple of years. It ussaully takes longer for defensemen to develop to a level where they can play in the NHL.

Good for the Great one in suggesting they not rush a kid into the next level. Its getting tiresome watching all of these great college players leave college early for the the NHL only to get stuck in the minors.

In my program Wheeler is listed as a forward. :)

Ooops. I took my quote from the Pioneer...the StarTrib probably had better coverage. The Pioneer article implied that Wheeler's future with the Gophers might be in doubt, but then, I think your statements make more sense.

Anyway, it would be fun to see him play for MN so he can get a feel for what it's like to lose to the UND stars before he faces them in the pros... :)

I agree. Wheeler will play for the Gophers as long as (maximum) Vanek does.

From the looks of things, he may have something Vanek doesn't: a defensive game.

Neither Wheeler or Vanek will make their fame as defensive forwards, if it turns out that Wheeler plays at both ends of the rink it simply means that his NHL career will extend beyond his prolific scoring years.

As a top five pick, the Gophers would be very lucky to get more than two years from Wheeler. I'm guessing if he keeps developing a single year would be most likely.

Playing with the Guyer/Sertich/Hirsch group as seniors, Potulny/Irmen as juniors and a mature defensive core, I'm sure he will be focussed on scoring from the outset.

Neither Wheeler or Vanek will make their fame as defensive forwards, if it turns out that Wheeler plays at both ends of the rink it simply means that his NHL career will extend beyond his prolific scoring years.

As a top five pick, the Gophers would be very lucky to get more than two years from Wheeler. I'm guessing if he keeps developing a single year would be most likely.

Playing with the Guyer/Sertich/Hirsch group as seniors, Potulny/Irmen as juniors and a mature defensive core, I'm sure he will be focussed on scoring from the outset.

I'll agree to this.

You should also add that his English vocabulary has got to range further than the F bomb. :)