SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Draft

jk

Draft talk has been scattered about in a few threads, so I thought I would start one to consolidate the discussion.

Red Line Report has had a few columns in USA Today this week ranking the top goalies, forwards and defensemen for this weekend's draft. Points of Sioux interest are:

"Drew Stafford is another big winger with good hands and scoring ability. The bloodline is good too

Came across this interesting prediction in the Edmonton Sun:

While Lowe and Prendergast insist they'll get a prospect they want with the 14th pick, landing one of the kids they covet - Andrew Ladd, Drew Stafford, Robbie Schremp and Alexandre Picard - might demand a trade.

Stafford, a big right-winger from North Dakota, won't make it past the sixth pick. The New York Rangers will take him. If the Oilers are as hot for Stafford as I believe they are, Lowe will have to strike a deal with Chicago, Columbus or Phoenix. That, or take a stroll to the Rangers table for a chat with Glen Sather.

Be sure to take this with a grain of salt, though. Remember, last year the Oilers were said to be "hot for" Zach Parise, then proceeded to trade their pick to New Jersey with Zach still available. Edmonton being my favorite team, that deal will probably haunt me for a long time, especially given the Oilers' lousy draft history the past 15-20 years.

But I digress. The complete article can be found at:

http://www.slam.ca/Slam040623/nhl_edm1-sun.html

Thanks for the links.

I have to say that I'm not sure Sioux fans fully appreciate the high-level player Stafford is. I know I didn't last year. I saw flashes of brilliance (e.g., a burst of speed that seemed out of sync with his size), but not sustained dominance. I think a lot of that had to do with his age, as he was among the youngest players in all of college hockey. I also wonder if he was fulfilling a non-starring role given him by the coaches: You're young and learning the league, go up and down the wing, make smart plays and get better. Then I felt he faded for a good while after the World Junior tournament.

I think the coaches will expect a lot more from him this year, and he will be asked to play a starring offensive role. Although the WJC will again tire him out, at least travel fatigue won't be an issue.

The top 10-15 picks in the NHL draft is rarified air, and it should be fun to see his talent develop.

Jason Herter, 8th overall to Vancouver in 1989. Here's a rundown of UND's 1st rounders:

1968, John Marks, Chicago, 9th

1981, James Patrick, New York Rangers, 9th

1986, George Pelawa, Calgary, 16th

1989, Jason Herter, Vancouver, 8th

1993, Landon Wilson, Toronto, 19th

2000, David Hale, New Jersey, 22nd

2003, Zach Parise, New Jersey, 17th