SiouxSports.com Forum

Dressler

UND Fan

It does appear the Dressler may have a real impact at UND. He racked up a lot of yards for an outmanned ND team against Montana last weekend. His speed ranks right up there with the best in the surrounding states (their top two times at their respective state meets noted):

Dressler 100 10.66 (MN 10.49, 10.58), (WS 10.68, 11.07), (SD 10.74, 10.80), (MT 11.01, 11.03)

Dressler 200 21.83 (MN 21:09, 21.11), (WS 21.44, 21.98), (SD 22.56, 22.60), (MT 22.15, 22.54)

Dressler 400 48.48 (MN 48.61, 48.82), (WS 48.52, 48.80), (SD 49.30, 49.50), (MT 49.36, 49.54)

He would have finished in the top five in both the 100 and 200 in MN.

I fully realize that all these state track meets were not run under identical conditions so we are not comparing "apples to apples". In fact, I believe the Montana meet was run under some lousy conditions.

I also acknowledge that some of these stats may not be 100% accurate but the fact remains, Dressler is pretty damn quick!

"The speed of this (Montana) defense is phenomenal ... Everybody's running around plugging gaps and cutting off angles. There was no chance they (ND) were getting anywhere." -- Dillon's Chad Schira, who was Montana's defensive MVP.
"The speed of their linebackers and safeties was something we weren't used to." -- North Dakota coach Mark Gibson.

Those quotes are from the Bismarck Tribune story on the Montana/North Dakota game.

Yet, somehow, even against all that defensive speed, Weston Dressler was able to get 22 carries for 153 yards to set a new Badlands Bowl mark. ;)

I'll never question Dressler's speed. What concerns me is his ability to take punishment against larger competition (beyond high school). Then again, I seem to recall a few "too small" but quick backs fairing well in NCC backfields (Philip Moore, Josh Ranek).

Dressler is one of those rare players that has what seems like a "sixth sense" when running the football. It's almost like he has eyes in the back of his head and no one can ever get a square shot on him. USD has a kid that has a similar running style and might even be smaller than Dressler, and he ran for over 1,000 yards last year as freshman.

The other thing to keep in mind is that UND has another RB recruit with tremendous credentials (Rohde) coming in this fall. It might be that the coaching staff feels Dressler is better suited to be a WR because of that.

The one thing I'm sure of: Dressler is going to be a tremendous punt and kick returner. He has all the skills necessary to be great on special teams.

The other thing to keep in mind is that UND has another RB recruit with tremendous credentials (Rohde) coming in this fall. It might be that the coaching staff feels Dressler is better suited to be a WR because of that.

The one thing I'm sure of: Dressler is going to be a tremendous punt and kick returner. He has all the skills necessary to be great on special teams.

I believe Dressler was an all-state receiver (or at least all region) before he was converted into a running back his junior year.

A little cut-and-paste action from the UND recruits press release and ...

Weston Dressler - 5-8 170, Wide Receiver/Running Back, Bismarck High - Bismarck, ND

Honors

(3 time) 1st Team WDC All Conference

(3 time) 1st Team All State

First Player in WDC History to be a 3 Time All State performer

2003 Stats

2,100 rushing yards

40 Touchdowns

U2Bad1 is correct: Dressler was a WR his sophomore year and, based on the above, was noteworthy (how's that for understatement?, sophomore 1st Team All State) at that position as well.

He had 40 TDs his senior year. There are teams in the state that didn't have 40 TDs all season!

Here are the guys UND listed as coming in this fall at RB:

Reece Henrickson, 5'11 184, RB, Stephen-Argyle High School - Stephen, MN

Honors

2003 1st Team All State Running Back

(2 Time) 1st Team All Conference Running Back

2003 Top of the State Conference Offensive MVP

2003 Stats

32 Overall Touchdowns

966 Rushing yards and 18 Rushing Touchdowns

800 receiving yards and 13 Receiving Touchdowns

Jordan Armentrout, 5-9, 175, Running Back, Madison Memorial High School - Verona, WI

Honors

2003 1st Team All Conference

2003 1st Team All City

2003 1st Team All Region

2003 1st Team All Area

2003 Stats

Rushing: 218 attempts, 1329 yards, 6.1 yards per carry, 16 TDs

Punt Returns: 15 yards per return average

Mike Rohde, 5-9 180, Running Back, D.C. Everest High School - Mosinee, WI

Honors

(2 Time) 1st Team All Conference RB

2003 WFCA 1st Team All State RB

(2 Time) Wisconsin Preps Football 1st Team All State RB

(2 Time) Associated Press 2nd Team All State RB

2003 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 2nd Team All State RB

2003 Season Stats

Rushing: 221 attempts, 1661 yards, 7.52 ypc, 162.4 yards per game, 23 TDs

Broke 2 individual WIAA Division 1 State Championship Records

Longest rushing TD from scrimmage - 77yds.

Most TDs scored by an individual - 4 TDs

Some of those numbers are just mind-boggling.

Link to press release.

I have a feeling that had Dressler put up the kinds of times in track as a junior that he did this past spring, he may have been recruited far more heavily than he apparently was. I don't think too many recruiters honestly thought he could run a wind-legal 10.66 100 meters, a wind-legal sub 22.00 200 meters, and/or a sub 48.5 400 meters. There are a lot of fast guys out there, but when you have the football ability that he does AND you have serious speed, that's a lethal combination. He can make a huge impact returning punts and kicks, getting a dozen or so carries, and catching 3-5 passes per game.

There are a lot of fast guys out there, but when you have the football ability that he does AND you have serious speed, that's a lethal combination. He can make a huge impact returning punts and kicks, getting a dozen or so carries, and catching 3-5 passes per game.

I think you just described former Notre Dame star Rocket Ismail. :D That's just about exactly how Notre Dame used Ismail a few years ago and I could see Dressler having a similar role at UND.

I thought UND ran a tunnel, a.k.a. flanker, a.k.a. jailbreak, a.k.a. fold screen, not a bubble screen. :D

It all carries the same degree of difficulty to watch for me. ;)

Then again, if you're winning and it ain't broke ....

It's been a pretty good week for Dressler. He was named by Gatorade as the North Dakota track athlete of the year, and yesterday, he was named male high school athlete of the year by the North Dakota Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. Brady Trenbeath was also a finalist for that award. The female high school athlete of the year was UND basketball recruit Karla Beck of Munich.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the new issue of Sports Illustrated in the mail, and Weston Dressler was one of the "Faces in the Crowd." It reads:

Dressler, a graduate of Bismarck High, was named the North Dakota track athlete of the year after winning the 100, 200 and 400 meters at the state Class A track meet.