SiouxSports.com Forum

Ballard gone

fargosioux

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the be all end all PCM? How many times have we as Sioux fans played the 7>5? Now Gophers fans are playing the 2>0. When it comes right down to it you remember who won the titles - period. Yeah we have great net minders and I hope they collectively bring us #8 next year.

If you don't want to talk about how UND's goalies will compare to Minnesota's next season becase neither team won a national championship, that's fine with me.

I think we are all too hung up on each other. I love stats, but I don't care what stats Briggs, Parise or Brandt post. Last year I would have picked Berkhoel, Bruckler, or Reichmuth over any of the above. I'm guessing there will be three more WCHA goalies next year that I'd take over a Sioux or Gopher goalie.

add Chris King to that list as well.

Chris King got hot for a few games near the end of the season and that enabled UAA to go farther in the playoffs than anyone expected. But head-to-head against Jordan Parise, he lost.

DU's excellent defensive corps got healthy near the end of the season and contributed greatly to the Pioneers' success in the playoffs. Before that, Berkhoel was all too human, as his WCHA regular season stats show. But heck, we all know that the only goalies who benefit from good defensemen play for UND.

The weekend of Feb. 27-28 against the Sioux, Reichmuth gave up 6 goals to Brandt's 2. Would Sioux fans have traded Reichmuth for Brandt that weekend? Reichmuth played lousy against Minnesota at the WCHA Final Five, but played a great game against Minnesota to get UMD into the Frozen Four. Once there, he did a total meltdown against DU, a team hardly known for its offense.

Reichmuth got the Bulldogs close to the WCHA championship, but he was part of the reason UMD didn't win it. He got them close to a national championship, but he was part of the reason UMD didn't win that, either.

During the regular season, Brandt was better than Reichmuth, better than Berkhoel, better than King and better than Briggs. In the post-season, Jordan Parise played as well as any goalie in the country except Berkhoel. It wasn't his fault that the the Sioux didn't win a national championship.

During the regular season, Brandt was better than Reichmuth, better than Berkhoel, better than King and better than Briggs. In the post-season, Jordan Parise played as well as any goalie in the country except Berkhoel. It wasn't his fault that the the Sioux didn't win a national championship.

Dammit, PCM... if you keep this nonsense up, I won't have any reading material this fall about "UND's high powered offense, stingy defensive corps, and questionable goaltending."

Knock it off! ;)

Statistically better. I would still have picked Bruckler, Berkhoel or Reichmuth over either the Sioux or the Gophers goaltenders. You can say all you want, but if UND makes the Frozen Four next year their opposition will have better goaltending. Unless of course they are playing my favorite team. ;)

This isn't to say a team can't win it all with a subpar goaltender (Hauser), or that an otherwise average at best goalie (Weber) can play outstanding at the Frozen Four.

I will grant you that I don't think the Sioux's goaltending will hurt them next year, nor did they hurt the Sioux this past year. Maybe a little against the Gophs at the X, but we all know that you guys don't really care about that game too much anyways.

Statistically better.

Statistics shmatistics. ;) I think you're basing too much on what you saw the last time you watched Brandt play the Gophers.

Brandt played a major role in UND's winning pf the WCHA title by holding the red-hot Bulldogs to 2 goals during the series at Duluth. In the third period of the second game, he was simply amazing.

Without that performance, the Sioux wouldn't have won the title outright. He also had a impressive wins at Denver, St. Cloud and Mankato. The Sioux couldn't have won the WCHA title with sub-par goaltending.

What worked for the Sioux last season was that they didn't have to live or die with one goalie. With the exception of one weekend at Wisconsin, both Parise and Brandt played well throughout the season.

Next season, few teams will have the depth at goalie that the Sioux possess. Brandt has improved every season and should be well motivated for his senior season. Parise was a pleasant surprise who should get better with a year of experience under his belt.

According to Blais, Parise and Brandt, Nate Ziegelmann was playing well enough near the end of the season to be a starter. Adding Phil Lamoureaux to the roster assures that competition for the starting job will be fierce.

You tried to be cute and ended up right. :(

North Dakota only hangs

- WCHA Regular Season Championship (13)

- NCAA Championship (7)

banners.

Only teams with nothing else to hang hang WCHA Tournament banners.

I wasn't guessing or throwing out bs. ;) Your info has been posted before, and Deano's actions like playing Kollar against SCSU back it up.

You can say all you want, but if UND makes the Frozen Four next year their opposition will have better goaltending.

Wow, an outlandish comment from a typically level-headed poster. So, you are saying that if UND makes it to Columbus the other three teams will all have better goaltenders no matter who the competition is AND you are throwing around that conjecture in June? Hmmmm . . . . .

What is in the water down the last few days? Of late, we have WPoS stirring the pot and Sagard making an uncharacteristic comment. Does Ballard leaving really have all you Goofer fans reeling that badly? ;)

Statistics shmatistics. ;) I think you're basing too much on what you saw the last time you watched Brandt play the Gophers.

Brandt played a major role in UND's winning pf the WCHA title by holding the red-hot Bulldogs to 2 goals during the series at Duluth. In the third period of the second game, he was simply amazing.

Without that performance, the Sioux wouldn't have won the title outright. He also had a impressive wins at Denver, St. Cloud and Mankato. The Sioux couldn't have won the WCHA title with sub-par goaltending.

What worked for the Sioux last season was that they didn't have to live or die with one goalie. With the exception of one weekend at Wisconsin, both Parise and Brandt played well throughout the season.

Next season, few teams will have the depth at goalie that the Sioux possess. Brandt has improved every season and should be well motivated for his senior season. Parise was a pleasant surprise who should get better with a year of experience under his belt.

According to Blais, Parise and Brandt, Nate Ziegelmann was playing well enough near the end of the season to be a starter. Adding Phil Lamoureaux to the roster assures that competition for the starting job will be fierce.

I pretty much agree with you PCM. I just laugh when we Gophs fans argue with Sioux fans about each others 'tenders. Even if I grant you Reichmuth, the Sioux goalies are still at best third in the league last year. Let alone how bad my teams goalie was capable of playing.

But in the end, I guess it is a lot better than the old Parise/Vanek thing. :(

For the record, I've always thought Brandt to be perfectly capable. From a distance the biggest problem with the '02-'03 Sioux was that Brandt didn't get to play enough down the stretch, especially after a bad night.

Wow, an outlandish comment from a typically level-headed poster. So, you are saying that if UND makes it to Columbus the other three teams will all have better goaltenders no matter who the competition is AND you are throwing around that conjecture in June? Hmmmm . . . . .

What is in the water down the last few days? Of late, we have WPoS stirring the pot and Sagard making an uncharacteristic comment. Does Ballard leaving really have all you Goofer fans reeling that badly? ;)

I qualified it. :( IF the Sioux are playing the Gophers @ Columbus they won't be facing better goaltending.

Your obviously right, but there is a good chance that the Sioux might have to face a couple of guys like Montoya or Howard. Of course the Sioux could face the BC sieve and Briggs making me look silly.

Does Ballard leaving really have all you Goofer fans reeling that badly? ;)

I certainly wanted Ballard to return, but this does not compare to losing P. Martin last year.

Add P. Martin to the '03-'04 Gophs and I think they would have been a Frozen Four team and stayed a lot closer in the WCHA race.

Add K. Ballard to the '04-'05 Gophs and we have a team that will still be facing a superior opponent in a NCAA Quarterfinal. This year it is at Mariucci so I still like the Gophs chances, as I always probably will. :(

Does Ballard leaving really have all you Goofer fans reeling that badly? ;)

I just emerged from seclusion. :(

Sic - just out of curiosity, why aren't WCHA tournament banners hung at REA? I can see not hanging NCAA runner-up or other such banners (I think MN should take those down) but the WCHA tourney title is a legitimate banner to hang IMO.

BTW -not a flame...just a curiosity. I suspect it's because the WCHA tourney has such a strange history - i.e. co-winners for many, many years.

I just emerged from seclusion. :(

Sic - just out of curiosity, why aren't WCHA tournament banners hung at REA? I can see not hanging NCAA runner-up or other such banners (I think MN should take those down) but the WCHA tourney title is a legitimate banner to hang IMO.

BTW -not a flame...just a curiosity. I suspect it's because the WCHA tourney has such a strange history - i.e. co-winners for many, many years.

We don't have enough ceiling space for all the banners thus the current configuration ;)

I like the previous answer a whole lot. ;)

Then again, there's always room for more of those banners. :(

I've said UND should hang the seven WCHA tournament titles it could lay claim to. This is how it was explained to me:

You hang regular season banners to show that you were the best during the long haul, over the whole season: Proven performance, no hot goalie weekends or fluke goal wins gets that banner.

Winning a national title shows that, at the end of the season, you were among the best of everyone out there and beat them at the end. The best of the best, and the best of them all, matters.

What's the WCHA tournament title? It's not the long haul and it's not the largest (and best) field that you're playing against. To win a WCHA tourney you need to be good for nine days and you'll be playing against at least one team that isn't near "the best of the best" (a non-NCAA qualifier). Anything can happen in the WCHA tournament (just ask Wisconsin this year or CC from a few back).

Being tops amongst your peers over the long haul or being the best of all in the field at the end is noteworthy: Hang it.

We don't have enough ceiling space for all the banners thus the current configuration ;)

University of North Dakota Mens Ice Hockey

NCAA National Champions:

1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

NCAA National Runner-Up:

1958, 1968, 1979, 2001

Other NCAA National Semi-finals appearances:

1965, 1967, 1984

NCAA National Appearances (all):

1958, 1959, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004

WCHA Regular Season Champions:

1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004

WCHA Tournament Champions:

1967, 1968, 1979, 1980, 1987, 1997, 2000

University of North Dakota Mens Ice Hockey

NCAA National Champions:

1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000

NCAA National Runner-Up:

1958, 1968, 1979, 2001

Other NCAA National Semi-finals appearances:

1965, 1967, 1984

NCAA National Appearances (all):

1958, 1959, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1987, 1990, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004

WCHA Regular Season Champions:

1958, 1963, 1965, 1967, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2004

WCHA Tournament Champions:

1967, 1968, 1979, 1980, 1987, 1997, 2000

That would make a nice signature line... ;)