SiouxSports.com Forum

New Wellness Center

star2city

The design and layout of the new Wellness Center has been out, and just curious about what others think of them.

My first reaction is: wouldn’t it be great to be a UND student in 2006! My other reaction is: why isn’t the building design in more of a Gothic style like the Ralph? It also looks like there will be plenty of parking, which will conveniently benefit the Betty. Finally, wasn’t there a plan to construct a soccer field enclosed by a brick wall in this area?

site-plan.jpg

Building-Perspective.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have "New Paved Road" on that map, but it looks like it's going to go right through either the Tennis Courts, or right in front of the Frat that is already there.

I'm wondering if that new paved road won't be a northward extention of Princeton Street. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

I'm wondering if that new paved road won't be a northward extention of Princeton Street. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

yea, and if I remember right (I never remember the street names on campus), isn't that the One Way North that goes by Squires Hall? That would mean an extension would go right in front of the Frat, chewing up part of their parking lot, and sharply increasing the traffic in front of their house. I wonder how that will go over.

That would mean an extension would go right in front of the Frat, chewing up part of their parking lot, and sharply increasing the traffic in front of their house. I wonder how that will go over.

If I had to guess, I would say that they don't own that property anyway. Their property line more than likely only goes up to a platted right of way for a future street. (as was mentioned, an extension of Princeton)

If they do own that property, I'm sure there is an ingress/ egress easement already recorded. If you remember, there were "FEMA" trailers to the north of Phi Delta Theta, and that roadway/ parking area was the access to these temporary homes. This is probably when such an easement might have been granted and subsequently recorded. Again, this is assuming they own that property.

The students voted to build it and pay for it with student fees. Students will use the Wellness Center at no charge (beyond paying their semester student fees).

That frat house will probably get more traffic going past, but no more than any house currently along University. The upside: Look at the workout room they're getting next door.

I thought the soccer field was going in southeast of REA, north of the Medical School building.

That location is considered temporary, if I'm not mistaken, as it is highly valued developable property. A soccer field location closer to the Coulee would make more optimal use of the property. If a pedestrian bridge was added over the Coulee to the UND-owned land west of the Coulee (northwest of Engelstad and adjacent to the Chrysler dealership that the ROTC now uses), it would actually make a rather picturesque setting for low-lying land that probably would not otherwise be developed.

The Facility looks really nice, I know the Wellness Center at NDSU is quite popular and I am sure the UND students will get alot of use out of this when it cis ompleted Does anyone know what the approx square footage will be, I couldn't find it on the site. :sad:

From this Dakota Student article, the planned square footage is 101,000.  Initially, a $50 student fee approval for renovation of the Hyslop turned out more expensive than expected.  So another student vote approved the larger building and a $45 increase rather then a 40,000 sq ft building with no fee increase.  The total cost will be $19+ mill.

so how I read it, it is a total of $95 increase? Even if so it is worth it, a student is not going to find a good health club for 95 a year. 100k sq ft I think (if I am reading it correctly will also be the size of NDSU's Wellness Center AfterExpansion

74+(1/3)74= just under 100

Both Facilities are/will be quite nice and should help both Universities attract students :sad:

Common now.....you guys really think anything would happen at a University that would be convenient to students? Hell, I have been out of school for darn near 20 years and I still have not forgot that much... :sad:

Universities are supposed to prepare students for life.

The on-campus inconveniences are just a training ground for the real world. :lol:

......This whole discussion reminds me of the days back when I was on Student Senate...a guy named Gary Reinke was the Director of the Physical Plant. I can't remember the specifics of the particular issue that was being discussed, but I do remember Mr. Reinke refering to the students as "four year transients". He is one of those that should have been put out to pasture early....