SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Men's Recruiting Classes For 2004-05

Manderleigh13

WCHA-Member Men's Recruiting Classes For 2004-05 Listed

http://wcha.collegesports.com/sports/m-hoc.../051704aab.html

Sioux have listed:

University of North Dakota

Rylan Kaip, F, 6-0, 175, R, 3/19/84, Wilcox, SK (Notre Dame/SJHL)

Phillippe Lamoureux, G, 5-10, 170, R, 8/20/84, Grand Forks, ND (Lincoln/USHL)

Kyle Radke, D, 5-11, 200, L, 5/13/85, Bashaw, AB (Grand Prairie/AJHL)

Rastislav Spirko, F, 5-9, 175, L, 6/21/84, Vrutki, Slovakia (Tri-City/USHL)

Travis Zajac, F, 6-2, 205, R, 5/13/85, Winnipeg, MB (Salmon Arm/BCHL)

Print this off for comparison with the 2004-05 WCHA Recruits List.

Who do you think is best/worst off as of now?

Team Point Rank / Player Lost

University of Alaska Anchorage

Goal King

1 Glenncross*

3 Steward

Reiter & Novak

Colorado College

5 Canzanello

6 Stuart

10 Liebel

Coolsby & Cromarty

University of Denver

Goal Berkoel

2 C. James

3 Dora

6 Caldwell

11 Keith

Bull

Michigan Tech University

4 Englehart

Brown & Werner

University of Minnesota

2 Riddle

3 Koalska

4 Ballard*

7 Potulny

Waibel & J. Martin ($ Vanek)

University of Minnesota Duluth

1 Lessard

6 Geisler

Hardwick & Unklesbay

Minnesota State University

1 Joseph

Bassett, Forsythe, Metcalf, Paluczak, & Sorenson

University of North Dakota

2 Parise

6 Lundbohm

Hale & Palmascino

$ Bochenski and Greene

St. Cloud State University

Goal Coole*

2 Hendricks

8 LaMere

11 Lundbohm

Conboy**, Luger*, McCormick, & Peters

University of Wisconsin

1 Boeser

4 Bourque

10 Suter

Eichelberger, Krall, Sawatzke*, & Woziewski

All are Seniors except the following

* Left Early

** Booted

$ Speculated by some as early departure

Feel free to make any corrections.

As well as Greene & Bochenski...

Greene is unlikely but possible to leave.

Bochenski leaving would be a great surprise since he's said repeatedly throughout the season and after the season ended that he was staying for his senior year.

I had heard that Ballard was staying. Vanek's status is up in the air and probably won't be resolved with finality until the season starts, IMO.

I think our recruiting class is solid. It's not as dynamic as last year's recruiting class, but it doesn't have to be either. Although we will miss the leadership of Hale and the quality roleplayer that Lundbohm filled, the only real loss to the team was Parise. Murray and Stafford will be better (and if so, WOW is what everyone will be saying... which is what they all said about Parise) and Zajac could be the quality piece to put the game together.

The only real question mark is goaltending. Where does Phillippe fit in this season? I'm not doubting his ability, but seriously, JPar and Brandt proved they are a valued tandem last season. When the offense is clicking, the Sioux are pretty close to being unbeatable. I'm not saying either of them are another Karl G, but Phillippe will have to play better than both of them to get the ice time. And that will be no easy feat regardless of his hype. Of course, that's only my opinion and not that of Coach Blais or any of the "old hand" posters of this board. Perhaps they can fill me in on the scheme of things.

... but Phillippe will have to play better than both of them to get the ice time.

Look at Jake's and Jordan's numbers from last season and imagine if Phil pulled it off.

I can't help but :D when I think about it.

i guess my challenge was to comparitively look at the wcha player ins and outs. to see if any of you had any thoughts on the transitions and who may be the weakest/strongest because of them.

sorry, manderleigh if this wasn't your intent. I should've made a new post.

I didn't mean for my post to spur a who may/may not be leaving debate from our brethren Sioux. I personally don't think Greene, Bochenski, or Ballard will leave

quickly, I do think the goofs are losing the all around best squad and not replacing them with the same caliber. tech isn't losing much but gaining a lot, etc. etc.

I'll expound later

I think our recruiting class is solid. It's not as dynamic as last year's recruiting class, but it doesn't have to be either.

The only real question mark is goaltending. Where does Phillippe fit in this season? I'm not doubting his ability, but seriously, JPar and Brandt proved they are a valued tandem last season. When the offense is clicking, the Sioux are pretty close to being unbeatable. I'm not saying either of them are another Karl G, but Phillippe will have to play better than both of them to get the ice time. And that will be no easy feat regardless of his hype. Of course, that's only my opinion and not that of Coach Blais or any of the "old hand" posters of this board. Perhaps they can fill me in on the scheme of things.

First, I think this year's class is just as good, if not, better than last years. The big additions were Murray, Stafford, Porter, Smaby, and Jparise.

Now, if you look at the players coming in

Radke - A much needed recruit for the Sioux. Over the last 2 or 3 years the power play has struggled immensly. Radke sounds like the type of player who could turn that around, maybe not immediately, but I think many are expecting him to develop into a Ballard type. Don't get me wrong, I like Smaby a lot and I'm sure he is going to have an outstanding career at UND, but I think Radke was brought in to play a role that the Sioux are in dire need of.

Zajac - realistically Zajac could be the best recruit in the nation. I think he will be more effective in his first season than Murray was.

Kaip - underestimated, IMO, much like Porter was. He might not have Porter's speed, but I think he will show he is more talented offensively.

Lammy is the USHL's best goaltender. Jpar is great, and I think he will be the starter next year, but in the long run, Phil is going to be UND's pride and joy. With Phil's work ethic I highly doubt there is going to be a goalie that can outplay him.

The players that are coming in this year aren't going to be as valuable as Stafford and Murray and Jpar and Porter were in their first years, but I think over the next couple of seasons, the '04 class will be playing many important roles.

Regarding Phil next season, he has already spent 3 years in the USHL, and therefore his elgibilty is up. He's more than ready to come to the next level.

First, I think this year's class is just as good, if not, better than last years. The big additions were Murray, Stafford, Porter, Smaby, and Jparise.

Now, if you look at the players coming in

Radke - A much needed recruit for the Sioux. Over the last 2 or 3 years the power play has struggled immensly. Radke sounds like the type of player who could turn that around, maybe not immediately, but I think many are expecting him to develop into a Ballard type. Don't get me wrong, I like Smaby a lot and I'm sure he is going to have an outstanding career at UND, but I think Radke was brought in to play a role that the Sioux are in dire need of.

Zajac - realistically Zajac could be the best recruit in the nation. I think he will be more effective in his first season than Murray was.

Kaip - underestimated, IMO, much like Porter was. He might not have Porter's speed, but I think he will show he is more talented offensively.

Lammy is the USHL's best goaltender. Jpar is great, and I think he will be the starter next year, but in the long run, Phil is going to be UND's pride and joy. With Phil's work ethic I highly doubt there is going to be a goalie that can outplay him.

The players that are coming in this year aren't going to be as valuable as Stafford and Murray and Jpar and Porter were in their first years, but I think over the next couple of seasons, the '04 class will be playing many important roles.

Regarding Phil next season, he has already spent 3 years in the USHL, and therefore his elgibilty is up. He's more than ready to come to the next level.

Perhaps my use of this year and last year was confusing. I meant last year's recruting class as Smaby, Murray, Stafford, Porter, etc. This year's as Zajac and Gang.

I agree with most, if not all of your counts. However, regarding goaltender work ethic, one must not simply set aside JPar. Wasn't Jordan the goaltender always out taking shots at odd hours, working hard goaltending the special teams practices and such? And if I'm wrong, what I'm generally saying, wasn't his work ethic so solid that he was taking extra practice time to aid his skater teammates?

I agree with most, if not all of your counts. However, regarding goaltender work ethic, one must not simply set aside JPar. Wasn't Jordan the goaltender always out taking shots at odd hours, working hard goaltending the special teams practices and such? And if I'm wrong, what I'm generally saying, wasn't his work ethic so solid that he was taking extra practice time to aid his skater teammates?

I didn't mean to discount the 'Parise work ethic' that both Zach and Jordan have shown, my point was that Phil has always been a very hard worker, and is patient. I've always been a big fan of his, and his decision to come to UND didn't surprise me much, but I really can't wait to see him between the pipes. For me, he is the most anticipated recruit in years (aside from Zach Parise). I have high, but realistic expectations for Phil, and wish him the best of luck.

I didn't mean to discount the 'Parise work ethic' that both Zach and Jordan have shown, my point was that Phil has always been a very hard worker, and is patient. I've always been a big fan of his, and his decision to come to UND didn't surprise me much, but I really can't wait to see him between the pipes. For me, he is the most anticipated recruit in years (aside from Zach Parise). I have high, but realistic expectations for Phil, and wish him the best of luck.

I got you. My misunderstanding. :D