SiouxSports.com Forum

Another forward?

The Sicatoka

With the departure of Fournier, UND only has 14 forwards on the roster.

Coach Blais has said he likes to have five full lines in practice. There are only seven defensemen on the roster (plus that transfer who can't play this season, Dahlen). Most of the defenseman drills they run require seven or eight defensemen. You can't easily cheat a guy up from that group.

Has anyone been watching the team? Are there any walk-ons? Is there anyone else that could grab a spot on the team? There appears to be a slot open for a guy willing to step up and into it.

Nice photo! ;)

I'll reserve comment about a redhead and an Irishman involved in a brawl. ;)

Pat O'Leary would be good. He shut down Heatley (one point) for a weekend. I think his abilities there alone would make this team better. We can also see by the Heatley weekend that Dean Blais must have some level of confidence in him. Pat O'Leary started those games to shadow a guy who is now becoming a name in the NHL. Works for me.

Patrick? Where are you? ;)

And did I mention that Heatley's point came when Pat couldn't get out there on a change (transition play didn't allow for it) to get "the blanket" over him? If it was good enough for Heatley, why shouldn't it be good enough for say .... Thomas Vanek? ;)

Remember that fight, and game, since it's the only one I was at that year. Mankato, right? Played a exceptionally cheap game and ref didn't let them get away with it. 4 Sioux 5 on 3's, 3 of which the Sioux scored on (Roche to Panzer I believe) and the 4th finished the game.

Something went on pre game that ticked off Blais and the Sioux, and he turned 'em loose. Believe the entire line of fire was in a big scrum at one point.

Ready for those days again. O'Leary wouldn't hurt the work ethic of the team a bit.

That was a great fight! The ice looked like a yard sale by the time everyone had dropped the sticks and gloves. Mazurak and O'Leary both left that game, if I recall right. Winning just made it all the sweeter. ;)

The last time I saw O'Leary was when he was working at Scheels. He was in my Sociology class last year, so he didn't leave school after he was cut. My guess is that he is finishing school, and if Blais gives him a chance, he'll rejoin the team. He still looked to be in good shape last year. I would definitely like to see him back on the team. Nothing wrong with having a line that can shut down top lines in the league.

Something went on pre game that ticked off Blais and the Sioux, and he turned 'em loose. Believe the entire line of fire was in a big scrum at one point.

In that series, Mankato the night before came from three goals down in the third period to tie the Sioux 3-3. Before the game the second night while the players were waiting in the tunnel to come out on the ice, the Maverick players started dropping the F-bomb in unison. Turned out to be a real bad idea. ;)

Mankato tried to play rough, but the Sioux were up to the task and made the Mavs pay with four power play goals. The Sioux won 5-1. Panzer notched the hat trick and Roche had five assists.

Another thing I remember about that game is Panzer getting checked into the Mankato net right before a period ended and Pateman taking the opportunity to get a few licks in on him. Again, bad idea. ;)

He scored a hat trick early in the season and got in a fight and beat the heck out of a guy. So, I go back to see him about a month later, and he scores two goals and beats the heck out of another guy. I said to myself, 'I kind of like that guy.' -- Dean Blais on scouting Lee Goren

I really love Pat's Signature. That is old time hockey at its best...

I don't think UND is going to miss not Having Fournier, honestly if he can't come to camp in time I really have to question his dedication. Campionships are won in the off season conditioning. Third period is where a lot of games are won and if you not in shape, you not going to win...

I have have seen a few of the players over the summer and David Hale really stands out in the crowd. Last time I saw him I thougt he was a football player at first. I pitty the players he is going to be checking this winter. They better have their helment strapped on tight.

In that series, Mankato the night before came from three goals down in the third period to tie the Sioux 3-3. Before the game the second night while the players were waiting in the tunnel to come out on the ice, the Maverick players started dropping the F-bomb in unison. Turned out to be a real bad idea.  :D

Always wondered what it was; Blais had smoke coming out of his ears. They gave Kato a real shellacking; game wasn't as close as the score. The Mankato debaucle of last year better never happen again. Can't wait to get those guy back in the REA. Do they play in GF this year?

Answered my own question; November is get even month - SCSU, UAA, Wisco, and Kato.

I really love Pat's Signature. That is old time hockey at its best...

Just curious: Does anyone remember Goren getting into a fight while he was a Sioux player? I can't. I know he could be very intense and physical, but I don't remember a time where he even came close to dropping the gloves.

I seem to recall Blais saying once that he figured there were two guys on his 2000 team that he, in his prime, wouldn't have scrapped with: Commodore and Goren.

He went on to say that he wasn't sure who'd win a Commy / Goren heavyweight bout. :D

So then, when will an unbiased journalist visit a Sioux practice and give us some biased insight, as well as some photos?

Unbiased journalist? I haven't seen one of them for...well...er...um...ever. :D

I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately, the practices happen to coincide with this thing called "work." Plus, I'd have to walk like three whole blocks to get over to the REA. Maybe I can grab Doc Nodak and we can make a house call. :0

If I get over there, I'll take my shiny new digital camera and post some shots on my Web site.

In looking at the roster, I think we have enough forwards don't we?

I think there are going to be, I am sure Blais will pick up one more forward so he can have five lines in practice. I do expect great things from Lundbohm and Massen this season. Playing time is still going to be earned and I think we will see a better effort by the guys this season. Nice mix between braun and speed this season. I also think this is one of the bigger Sioux teams in quite some time.

5 Lundbohm, David, F, Jr 6-0 180 12/17/79 Roseau, Minn.

7 Bochenski, Brandon, F, So 6-1 190 4/4/82

10 McMahon, Rory, C, So 5-11 177 2/9/82 Perdue, Sask

11 Parise, Zach, F, Fr 5-11 180 7/28/84 Faribault, Minn.

15 Palmiscno, Tyler, F, Jr East Grand Forks, Minn.

16 Spiewak, Kevin, F, Sr 5-10 180 5/3/79 Schaumberg, Ill.

17 Connelly, Ryan, F, So White Bear Lake, MN

18 Fylling, Quinn, F, So 5-10 188 1/16/82

19 Prpich, Mike, F, Fr 6-0 180 3/27/82 Kenaston, Sask.

20 Massen, James, F, So 6-2 220 1/13/82 Bismarck, N.D.

22 Canady, Brian, F, So 6-1 195 7/29/80

25 Hale, Ryan, F, Jr 6-2 198 11/7/78 Colorado Springs, Colo.

26 Notermann, Jason, F, Sr 5-9 175 12/2/78 Rochester, Minn.

29 Genoway, Colby, F, So 6-0 175 12/12/83 Morden, Man.

When I tried to go to a practice last year after they moved into the new arena, they wouldn't let anyone in. It's a closed practice. I don't know if that's the same for pre-season or not. I'm assuming it's a security thing with the new arena. Either way it sucks.

Then again, maybe PCM has some pull. :D

Brenden Connelly isn't in school at UND. He transfered to a DIII school and is working on his Engineering degree.

Derek Faul isn't at UND either. I believe he is up in Saskatchewan going to school and playing hockey.

From what I'm hearing, forward walk-on will most likely be added to the team after tryouts conclude.