SiouxSports.com Forum

hockey trip to Maine

YaneA

I just got this e-mail from the Ralph. Anyone know what it costs to make the trip?

NORTH DAKOTA @ MAINE OCTOBER 7-9, 2004

The Fighting Sioux fan's dream has come true. Next October 7-9, "Fly the Ralph" with the men's hockey team when they travel to the University of Maine for a 2-game series. This 3-day, 2 night package includes:

Ask your ticket people if the seats are in section II (as in double-i) - the normal spot for visiting team tix. If you're above row 8, the balcony will obstruct your view of the scoreboard (similar to at Michigan). Some people might not enjoy a surprise like that after dropping 8 bills.

Any way you get in, though, it should be a good time. Look for a warm welcome. I think most people still remember when UND played Maine and rolled 4 lines of "Walsh, centering Walsh and Walsh, with Walsh and Walsh on D and Walsh in net."

Whatever is the opposite of New Engelstadt, that's what to expect from Alfond. No frills (except baked potato concessions?), and a seating capacity of 5500 that STILL makes you wonder if the local fire marshall dropped the ball on the whole safety part of his job :D

8 bills..Trying to figure that one out. Doesn't include meals? I think Al Pierson's trip to Providence in 2000 was only $450 and that included tickets to the FF (which were $150 alone), hotel and transport. This deal seems pretty steep. Perhaps I didn't read all the "inclusives" close enough.

They's got it on pretty good authority that they's gonna do a charter trip to Alaska too . . . .

Sure'd be fun, but probably not as much as dropping the dough to go to venues like the Wireless, the DECC, the Concrete Center, the Kohl, the World, and the Maroosh.

Oh wait, we ain't playing in Minny this year. Now that is a crying dirty shame.

Best trip of 'em all is to Houghton, although this is an early trip there this year.

Go to Houghton. John Scott gonna be there and he needs to take some Sioux flak.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how to get single game tickets for the game in Maine? Can it be done? I would like to go but I would rather plan my own trip and do some backpacking in Maine.

Smart - Word has it they "chartered" a plane from NWA which in itself is ridiculous and surely reflects the $800 price tag on this trip. I'm VERY surprised they didn't shop the chartered aircraft market for this trip. Perhaps might be due to the team flying on the aircraft as well and the contingency planning in the event of a delay or weather etc.

You can pick up a flight to Boston from Minneapolis for $250..rent a car for another $150 for the two hour thirty minute drive to UMaine and pick up your own tickets for the games for about $500 total. Unless of course you want to fly with the team - which will cost you an additional 3 hundo for that honor.

800 $ is fine. not saying its not a lot of money but to fly with the team. hotel and game tix. tours around maine area. maine lobster dinner yeah you could get there cheaper but its the point of hanging with the team and doing something different that does not pop up many times to do in a lifetime if you are a big fan like we all are. this is how i see it i guess.

... rent a car for another $150 for the two hour thirty minute drive to UMaine ...

Boston to Orono in 2.5 hours?

It's a 240 mile trip and the drive from Boston to the NH line (about 45 miles) is normally over an hour on a good day (thanks to traffic and toll booths).

What kind of car are you renting? :D

$789 each sounded pricey, so I did a quick comparison shop at Oribtz and Travelocity because I was curious.

If a group were to split it four ways, they could fly Thursday and SUNDAY ($536), stay THREE nights in a room at the same Holiday Inn and get a Taurus rental for a total of $632 each. This is more than I expected, but Flytheralph wants $789. That leaves the group with $157 each to buy game tickets, a lobster bake, and a souvenir windjacket.

If they're going to charter a flight and shoot for group-type discounts (renting a bus has to be cheaper than each of us renting a car), they need to make the price competitive.

$789 each sounded pricey, so I did a quick comparison shop at Oribtz and Travelocity because I was curious.

If a group were to split it four ways, they could fly Thursday and SUNDAY ($536), stay THREE nights in a room at the same Holiday Inn and get a Taurus rental for a total of $632 each. This is more than I expected, but Flytheralph wants $789. That leaves the group with $157 each to buy game tickets, a lobster bake, and a souvenir windjacket.

If they're going to charter a flight and shoot for group-type discounts (renting a bus has to be cheaper than each of us renting a car), they need to make the price competitive.

i don't think they are comparing prices with travel companies. this is a once in a lifetime thing that you get to fly with the team and so forth. anyone can go on there own trip but some people will want to take advantage of this sioux package as well. its the purpose of the trip in my mind, not the 150 dollar difference...no matter how you get there we will all party and have a great time watching the sioux play in maine, its just the question of how you want to get there!!

My wife and I signed up for it. I priced it out making our own arrangements and came to about $1,240 for airfare (2 connections), hotel (2 nights) and car rental. So the "extras" (direct flight, game tickets, day trips, lobster dinner, cheesy gift) are running $360 for both of us. Not a bargain but certainly not unreasonable. I like the fact that you are flying with the team and about 100 other Sioux hockey fans. To me, there is intrinsic value to that.

I'm sure another charter company could do it cheaper - but so far, they aren't. Next September when Creative Charters is offering the same trip for $600/per, feel free to laugh at me. :D

Boston to Orono in 2.5 hours?

It's a 240 mile trip and the drive from Boston to the NH line (about 45 miles) is normally over an hour on a good day (thanks to traffic and toll booths).

What kind of car are you renting? :D

My math was off...Having grown up in the Boston area I have driven that route many times but not for quite a few years. Should be more like 3.5 hrs. 2 1/2 hours will get you up to Freeport or there abouts. Orono is considerably more north western from the coast.

My wife and I signed up for it. I priced it out making our own arrangements and came to about $1,240 for airfare (2 connections), hotel (2 nights) and car rental. So the "extras" (direct flight, game tickets, day trips, lobster dinner, cheesy gift) are running $360 for both of us. Not a bargain but certainly not unreasonable. I like the fact that you are flying with the team and about 100 other Sioux hockey fans. To me, there is intrinsic value to that.

I'm sure another charter company could do it cheaper - but so far, they aren't. Next September when Creative Charters is offering the same trip for $600/per, feel free to laugh at me. :D

I think my point was that "chartering" an aircraft from Northwest airlines for a trip such as this is the equivalent of walking into a BMW dealership and asking the slick salesman how much that shinny car costs out on the lot - then writing out a check for that amount.