SiouxSports.com Forum

ZACH ATTACK NEEDED

Ruffian

From Brooks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 12, 2004 --

WHILE THE Devils organization promotes its own particular variation of "Where's Waldo?" by providing such scant information about Scott Stevens that the team's players and coach are constantly pestered with questions about a hypothetical heroic return of their captain, we're posing an alternative query:

Where's Zach?

...the Devils were going to need a spark plug to successfully navigate their title defense.

And they had one in Zach Parise, the dynamic albeit smallish 19-year-old center out of North Dakota the team had selected 17th overall in last June's Entry Draft and signed two weeks ago within days of the Sioux's elimination from the NCAA tournament. It was all in place; the perfect plan. Except it wasn't the plan at all. Because as the season ended, the Devils announced Parise would not be part of the playoff roster.

Even if Zach lives up to his billing I don't see how he makes up for the loss of Stevens.

Where's Zach?

Stupid, stupid, stupid Devils. They have the best 19 year player in the world signed to a contract, and they are just gonna let him sit there

Wasn't this board filled last summer (around draft time) with claims that the Devils were the best organization in the NHL by far...and more specifically, the best in terms of player evaluation.

Wasn't this board filled last summer (around draft time) with claims that the Devils were the best organization in the NHL by far...and more specifically, the best in terms of player evaluation.

I still agree with those statements. They've taken players like Scott Gomez, John Madden, Brian Gionta, and now Zach Parise, and they have put them into a system that makes them one of the best franchises in the NHL.

Regarding Parise. He is going to make a great NHL'er one day, but it would be difficult for a player to make the jump from the college game to the NHL playoffs, even for one of Parise's calibur. Teams like Detriot and Colorado load up as much talent as they possibly can, whereas New Jersey has a franchise that wins using a system. New Jersey has quality centers in Elias, Gomez, and Madden, those players have worked hard all season and helped them win a Stanley cup last year. Parise will see plenty of ice at New Jersey, just not yet.

I suspect they are weighing this question:

If we indeed have the best 19 year old in the world, would playing him make us any more likely to win the Stanley Cup or would the 19 year old's inexperience cost us?

I trust that organization to do the right thing.

Still, I hope they lose in 4. Roenick deserves a Cup much like Bourque did a few years ago.

And not playing Zach in no way shows that it isn't. The day Parise signed with the Devils, Blais noted that the coaches determine who plays and who doesn't.

Within days of Parise's signing, Devils coach Pat Bruns was quoted as saying that he didn't want Parise in the lineup because it could interfere with team chemistry.

This is a coaching decision. I doesn't mean that NJ's organization isn't among the best in the NHL or that their ability to judge and develop talent has suddenly disappeared.

For the record, Patrick Elias has been playing left wing, not center, all season.

Their other centers, Brylin, Hrdnina, Larionov can hardly be considered dangerous playmakers. John Madden poses more of an offensive threat on the pk than on 5x5 as his 12 goals and 23 assists suggest. Erik Rasmussen is also playing on the wing. Thus, NJD has the centers, it's just that they're no good.

Shut down the EGG line and you have an excellent chance of beating the debbys.

Still, I hope they lose in 4. Roenick deserves a Cup much like Bourque did a few years ago.

I too hope they lose in four. But off the Zach topic, I don't agree with one player deserving the cup so much more than any other player just because they have put in time in the league.

I too hope they lose in four. But off the Zach topic, I don't agree with one player deserving the cup so much more than any other player just because they have put in time in the league.

Ruffian

Forgive my sappy sentimentality, but I just have a soft spot for JR if only because his jaw was smashed by a slapshot less than two months ago, in which he suffered his umpteenth concussion, and now he's back, playing at a high level and without any protection for the still fragile jaw.

If you wanna look at what a hockey player is, look at Jeremy Roenick.

For the record, if I were only a sentimentalist, I'd cheer for Dave Andreychuk who is the current player who has the most points w/o a Cup.

Shep, I admire JR for the warrior he is. If I may say it, I happen to appreciate Andreychuk's leadership qualities. But sentimentality has no place in hockey. It's got to be about the sweater, not the name on the back. The player can be traded and becomes an enemy. Even Bourque switched teams to have a shot at the cup.

Teams win championships, not individuals.

Yet another meaningless post be a clueless troll.

Shep, I admire JR for the warrior he is. If I may say it, I happen to appreciate Andreychuk's leadership qualities. But sentimentality has no place in hockey. It's got to be about the sweater, not the name on the back. The player can be traded and becomes an enemy. Even Bourque switched teams to have a shot at the cup.

Teams win championships, not individuals.

Ruffian,

No need to worry about my putting player before team, as I'm a Flyers fan, too and was quite happy when they signed JR.

Yes even though Zach Parise is with their arch-rival the Debbies I am a Flyers fan.

Imagine that.

Well then, as a Flyer fan you should know that they needed both Clarke and Parent to win their cups.

I still dislike the idea that a team should win a cup because a certain player is deserving of it. No matter how much I like a team or even the player, it just doesn't sit well with me.

I deserve a Cup much more than Dave *******Andreychuk. Isn't he missed at the Old Folks Home?

I don't know. I think the Cup belongs to the team that wins the SC championship series regardless of who it is or who is on the team.

I hate the Avs but when Bourque and gang won it, I was alright with it because they worked hard and deserved it the most. One person doesn't make a team.

I don't know. I think the Cup belongs to the team that wins the SC championship series regardless of who it is or who is on the team.

I hate the Avs but when Bourque and gang won it, I was alright with it because they worked hard and deserved it the most. One person doesn't make a team.

I actually liked the Avs for several years but disliked the attention given to Bourque that playoff season. Yes, he was a great player. Yes, he had been around a long time but what makes the cup special is that it is so hard to attain and it does take a team effort. Not everyone who plays on the NHL is going to win.

Amen!

Even better, Flyers face the Wings in the finals. In game 1 Hatcher smashes JR's face beyond recognition for a second time. His jaw is wired shut as the Wings destroy the Flyers in 4 games so we thankfully don't have to listen to him whine. ;):D