SiouxSports.com Forum

And the winner is....

choyt3

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Junior . . . too bad it wasn't awarded to ZPar, but as it has been said, Junior was more than worthy of the award. As far as UND players not being recognized, well, that's just life. Michigan has only one hobey winner and that doesn't seem to affect their recruiting success, just as only one hobey winner from UND hasn't been a huge hurdle in getting great players to come to GF.

I saw Mike Mottau, BC, play 2 games in the 1999/2000 season -- he was good, but I thought Steve Reinprecht from Wisc was better and more important to his team, and would have been as deserving (if not more so) to receive the hobey as the BC player did. But that's just my opinion, and I don't get to vote.

Congrats to Junior . . . too bad it wasn't awarded to ZPar, but as it has been said, Junior was more than worthy of the award. As far as UND players not being recognized, well, that's just life. Michigan has only one hobey winner and that doesn't seem to affect their recruiting success, just as only one hobey winner from UND hasn't been a huge hurdle in getting great players to come to GF.

I saw Mike Mottau, BC, play 2 games in the 1999/2000 season -- he was good, but I thought Steve Reinprecht from Wisc was better and more important to his team, and would have been as deserving (if not more so) to receive the hobey as the BC player did. But that's just my opinion, and I don't get to vote.

Personally, I saw BC play that year and apart from Clemmenson, I wasn't impressed with anyone on the BC team. Not saying they were all poor players or even that Mottau didn't deserve the Hobey. I'm saying that they were just a team that gelled well enough to get themselves to the NC game and lost to us. Next year they'd exact revenge on a pretty unbelievable effort by Kobasew (?).

Just a question, no flaming intended. What kind of season will a UND player need to win the Hobey Baker? Just seems that voters find a way to justify giving it to a player one year and then totally voting with different credentials in mind the next. There have been many deserving candidates over the years, but only one winner from the Sioux.

I like our 7 national championship banners hanging in the Ralph, i'm sure UMD would trade a few of their Hobeys for them.

They maybe need to add some more guidelines to their voting. When Miller won it, they gave it to him because they thought he was going to the NHL and they figured another goalie wouldn't win it in the future. Then Miller returned anyways.

Using that same partial logic, then they should've given it to Parise knowing that he was going to the NHL.

Yes, it's an award given to the best college hockey player that year. Maybe Parise's points weren't quite there, but he did more for spreading (WJC and media) the game of college hockey than any other player has. Shouldn't that account for something?

With all that being said, their wasn't that outstanding numbers college hockey player this year. Lessard earned it as much as Parise did and congrats to him.