SiouxSports.com Forum

Articles from Worchester, Mass

Siouxhockey03

While their goalie did play exceptionally well during their tournamnet, it is important to note that he only allowed 1 goal in three games against opponents that are a combined 29-58-17. It will be interesting to see how he stands up against the attack of the Sioux. Should be an exciting game!!!

GO SIOUX!

I was trying to get to that Panzer article yesterday, but thought I'd wait for more articles to be published today before paying my $ .60.

The articles are interesting but nothing too special. Here is a brief description/exerpts:

Panzer article:

Classy guy as always...talked about how the teams are hard to compare b/c they lack common opponents (reporter notes that UND beat Concordia 7-1, while HC beat Concordia 3-2 in a tourney shoot-out), but HC is certainly an underdog. Talks about Sioux being seasoned in tourney play so should be relaxed and focused rather than overlooking teams/HC.

Panzer said six goals sounds like a reasonable margin, and added that if his alma mater dominates as much as expected, it won't try and roll up the score. . . . . "You never know what will happen in a one-game series," Panzer, a native of North Dakota, said, "but Holy Cross is the underdog by far. You'd have to look at them and say they're overmatched.

Sioux Article:

Storyline includes: a discussion about UND's history and current season; mention of Ryan Hale/David Hale/Devils connection; Blais and Bo not overlooking HC; HC perspective about having no pressure on themselves vs. Sioux feeling pressure as #1 and after early exit last year; comments about HC having some experience on big ice.

"This becomes the most important game I've ever played in," said junior forward Brandon Bochenski, one of UND's two Hobey Baker Award finalists. "We want to win this game and go from there."

UND coach Dean Blais said he hasn't watched any tape of Holy Cross in preparation for tonight's game.

"We know nothing about them," said Blais, in his 10th year at North Dakota. "At this time of year, it doesn't matter. We know that we have to play well. We have to execute no matter who we play. We plan on playing the game that got us here. Our goal is to get to Boston (site of Frozen Four). Two wins, and we're there."

"I'm approaching it the same way I have every other game," said Quesada, who is 17-5-2 this season. "They play at a high level, but we played Maine, UMass, and Dartmouth this year, and they're the same caliber. I think the difference between our team and theirs is depth."

Dartmouth and UMASS the same caliber as the Sioux? What is that guy on? Neither of those teams are even in the tourney. Sure they played Maine... and got smoked by them 7-0. Not sure what point this guy was trying to make.

No offense, but why wouldn't Blais look at tapes of HC? That doesn't make much sense to me. :lol:

I could see if Blais has looked at them but I doubt he would show the team.

Woog recounted a story on the radio the other day how they went into a regional years ago with a dominant MN team and lost to a pansy. The pansy (LSSU??) played on Friday night and Woog took the team there to watch. He said it was a colossal coaching mistake. That game was the worst game he'd ever seen between 2 bad teams. His team sat in the stands and figured if they showed up on the ice the game was over.

MN got beat by several goals.

Woog said he should have kept the team in the hotel, and came later that night telling them this was the best team he'd seen all season.

I think Blais wants the guys to be thinking about how this is the first game of the NCAA tournament, and not that this is going to be a game against a team of junior level players.

Making sure I get my full 60 cents worth...the Telegram/Gazette recap was complimentary of the Sioux, Parise, Bochenski, and Murray, as well as HC's defensive plan and Quesada.

"With about five minutes left in the second period we were thinking if we can get to the third period within a goal, but that's where Hobey Baker players take over the game," Pearl said. "Bochenski had a beautiful one-timer and that put us a little further back than we might have had the ability to get back on a team like that."

But even a more intereting article followed:

Cats fish for playoffs with Pohl.

Johnny Pohl assisted on both goals in the 2-1 win, but then nearly blew the game for the IceCats in OT. From the sounds of it, his assist with a few minutes to go on goal #2, coming from behind the net and fed to the goal mouth might've gotten the opposing coaches attention.

While Pohl was the game's No. 1 star and did play very strongly, he wound up being called for a crucial penalty in overtime. The IceCats had just gone on a power play and Wolf Pack goalie Jason LaBarbera made a great save on Mike Glumac at 4:07.

The Hartford bench asked for a measurement on Pohl's stick and it flunked. End of power play. The teams finished the night skating 3 on 3 and nobody scored.

"We got that point (last night)," Worcester coach Don Granato said, "because John Pohl made a great play on the tying goal. Then, he made a mistake, and it's a mistake he will hopefully learn from, and his teammates will learn from."

DOH!

Making sure I get my full 60 cents worth...the Telegram/Gazette recap was complimentary of the Sioux, Parise, Bochenski, and Murray, as well as HC's defensive plan and Quesada.

"With about five minutes left in the second period we were thinking if we can get to the third period within a goal, but that's where Hobey Baker players take over the game," Pearl said. "Bochenski had a beautiful one-timer and that put us a little further back than we might have had the ability to get back on a team like that."

But even a more intereting article followed:

Cats fish for playoffs with Pohl.

Johnny Pohl assisted on both goals in the 2-1 win, but then nearly blew the game for the IceCats in OT. From the sounds of it, his assist with a few minutes to go on goal #2, coming from behind the net and fed to the goal mouth might've gotten the opposing coaches attention.

While Pohl was the game's No. 1 star and did play very strongly, he wound up being called for a crucial penalty in overtime. The IceCats had just gone on a power play and Wolf Pack goalie Jason LaBarbera made a great save on Mike Glumac at 4:07.

The Hartford bench asked for a measurement on Pohl's stick and it flunked. End of power play. The teams finished the night skating 3 on 3 and nobody scored.

"We got that point (last night)," Worcester coach Don Granato said, "because John Pohl made a great play on the tying goal. Then, he made a mistake, and it's a mistake he will hopefully learn from, and his teammates will learn from."

DOH!

This is one of those instances where you put the illegal stick away and get the legal one out. I have heard of players doing this in crucial times. Maybe someone did inform Johnny of this technique.