SiouxSports.com Forum

Mankato sport cuts

Corella

... because of budget problems and a lack of compliance with federal gender-equity regulations ...

I'm sure having the Title IX vultures circling doesn't help, but let's face the realities. They have budget issues, be they low numbers at the gates through bad budget numbers in St. Paul.

I think this is more evidence that a D-I NCC wasn't going to happen, refuting claims out of Fargo that it was UND that killed that possibility.

I don't think the Minnesota schools would have been part of the I-AA NCC.

UND

UNC

USD

SDSU

NDSU

and maybe UNO

why do you think that bisonmav?:lol: no minnesota schools at all...would think UNO or UNC wouldnt want a part of that for travel reasons......and more cuts to come from mankato as well as st cloud from what i hear....

I don't thing Mankato could afford DI per this article. If any Minnesota team could make the move, St Thomas would be my best guess. The Divison I NCC was discussed extensively on other threads.

scsu added womens crew to become compliant. as far as i know there will be no cuts in men's athletics. then scsu athletic department runs in the black and has a budget just under 5 million. msu has a budget of over 6 million and is in the red. i do believe the cuts are due to title IX and $.

SCSU does not have the money to even think about DI. (not that I know the amt of money it would take) It would take a different AD, one who can raise funds and the alumni step up and fork over the jing. And with SCSU being the 12th largest producer of teachers in the nation, that will be a tough sell. :lol: Teachers can be tight.

And with SCSU being the 12th largest producer of teachers in the nation, that will be a tough sell. :lol: Teachers can be tight.

Wow, I didn't know that about SCSU. Along with nursing, teaching may be the noblest of professions. Not good when it comes to raising donations though.

• 2 weeks later...

If USD can't handle BASEBALL (and I agree Tom Carcione is a cool guy! - Man, the Varmints were fun while they lasted....) what does that say about SDSU's chances for success at DI?? Everyone knows they've bit off WAY MORE than they can chew, but like another school down south, felt the need to do SOMETHING to make themselves "BETTER" than their competition....GOOD LUCK!!!! (DING DONG!!!!) ... oh....it's the bill collector....HIDE!!!!!

USD got rid of their BB team back in the 80's also I beleive. Notice in the article that they give out 2.3 scholarships for BB, but yet are adding 19 to women's sports. :D WHere is the money for the other 16.5 coming from? They say that cutting BB will give them $100,000. Maybe someone out there knows, is that the budget for typical NCC school BB team? Seems to me the BB team is the scape goat, just the Men's Swimming was at Mankato.

It's not just going to come from baseball. The exact quote from USD was, "USD will finance this new plan through internal reallocation, student fees and increasing fundraising efforts. As part of this action, USD will discontinue its baseball program following the 2004 season." They are also going to cap the football roster at 95 (no more 36 kid signing classes).

USD's athletic department needs to get healthy and competitive again... I was half-expected them to go DI and leave football non-scholarship before this announcement.

If USD can't handle BASEBALL (and I agree Tom Carcione is a cool guy! - Man, the Varmints were fun while they lasted....)  what does that say about SDSU's chances for success at DI??  Everyone knows they've bit off WAY MORE than they can chew, but like another school down south, felt the need to do SOMETHING to make themselves "BETTER" than their competition....GOOD LUCK!!!!    (DING DONG!!!!)  ... oh....it's the bill collector....HIDE!!!!!

What does USD dropping baseball have to do with SDSU ans their success at DI. Unlike USD we have alumni that donate to our sports programs. This might actually be a good thing for SDSU, because the state is being forced to raise student fees for USD, so the same should happen at SDSU. I guess I don't see the corelation between a different school with different administrators and their inability to run an athletic department and SDSU's success at DI, but hey why don't you show me the way.