SiouxSports.com Forum

Crowd behavior at the xcel ?

Fetch

I'm not trying to belittle the bad experiences anyone had at the Xcel Energy Center. I don't doubt that they happened. It also sounds as if the X could have used better crowd control. There is no excuse for fans to act like jerks or become violent.

Perhaps as a result of this, we as Sioux fan can look in the mirror and put more effort into making certain that fans of visiting teams who visit Grand Forks, Engelstad Arena and the Alerus Center don't receive the same type of treatment.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually an interesting thread.

I enjoyed some good natured bantering with a number of fans. However, there were a number of incidents, mainly involving, college age gopher fans. Two twin young men ( used loosely) in our section, really got on a woman wearing a Badgers jersey. I couldnt believe it as they were with their mother. They got very nasty and personal, all the while playing the tough guy role in thier group.

I was harrassed on three occassions because of my Sioux pullover, including being grabbed by the shoulder, but just ignored the a holes, as they were obviously drunk litle kids.

Maybe the alcohol limit in Monnesota should be 25 or so.

I don't think it is all a bunch of drivel. It's clear that some supporters of every team act like jerks and bullies. I suppose we could take a page from the traveling football fans of North Alabama and Winona State and write to UM's president, condemning all Gopher hockey fans for the actions of a few. Do you think that would be a more effective use of our time?

Losing is no fun but when fans of the losing team are chased down, taunted and challenged to fist fights by the victors, that's beyond the pale. To answer PCM's question, if the Sioux had won, I imagine we'd be hearing from Gopher fans that ND fans had acted just as badly. But, tell you what, I'd be the first Sioux fan to offer an apology to an offended Gopher fan on behalf of all of us who didn't sink to that level.

ok, not really drivel, but to point out a few things:

1. it is NOT restricted to Gopher Fans!

why do I say that? Personal experience. I have been threatened at UW, I have been threatened at UMD. FHG was threatened at UMD. A person next to a UMN fan had a beer dumped on her head AT UMD. I have had friends spit on and cursed AT UND, JBSU and UW. So to try and paint the experience at the X as anything but typical is bad. It happens everywhere, the X makes it worse because of numbers and importance of the game is all, not because the locals are any worse than anywhere else. I am sure if and when I get up to UND I will have issues there. Is it good, no. But is it only one team that acts like this, no. That is why I get so frustrated when people paint ALL fans as the BAD fans because of some bad ones, as MNS said, as he has actually met me and some of the POI crew, the good fans don't pull that crap. Just as I have met some real nice UND fans.

2. I totally agree with the "Losing is no fun but when fans of the losing team are chased down, taunted and challenged to fist fights by the victors, that's beyond the pale." comment, but as I stated above, I've had it happen to me in UW and UMD, it is part of sports unfortunatly now-a-days it seems ;)

3. how to fix this? Change society, IMO that is about the only way to make this behaviour go away.

4. Is it any worse for a losing fan? Depends IMO. I heard plenty of grumbling on the way out of the arena and plenty of talking FROM UND fans to Gopher fans, almost picking a fight. I think it is a matter of perspective, losing just emphasizes the issue in one's mind.

End of ramble, I am hungry and my thoughts are dis-jointed (as usual)

WPoS

I am sure if and when I get up to UND I will have issues there.

You will...KC told me she experienced it at The Ralph just for wearing her Guyer jersey. Giving opposing fans crap is one thing (screaming the Rouser in my face for example, ahem WPoS ;);) ), but it needs to be kept good natured. I've seen Sioux fans not abide by this as well as fans of pretty much every team (except, strangely, from JBSU...they (even the Dogg Pound) were pretty nice to us a few years ago at the Concrete Center...must have had something to do with the idiot Saigo protesters outside and anti-nickname propaganda that was passed out inside the arena). As long as there are bandwaggoners, this will, unfortunately, continue.

WPos you have not been to the Ralph - It is nothing like the xcel was this weekend not even close ;) & our tap Beers are almost twice as Big ;)

I give ya the fact that it seems worse because of sheer numbers involved - But it is worse & there is more to it than losing ;) & yeah society has decayed quicker in some places than others - But paying customers that don't like that part of society deserve more protection than they got at the x & if people have to wait for someone to fix your society - then maybe it is time to move the event. My perspective is St Paul will be the real loser if the losers are not made to get lost by those in society that won't tolerate losing ;)

I also was at the X over the weekend, the behavior by SOME Gopher fans was not called for but as WPOS said it happens everywhere, maybe not to this extent. People say that the final five should be either at the Pepsi Center or the Bradley Center and think problems wont occur are wrong. Years ago the final five was at the Bradley Center and I witnessed Gopher fans getting harrassed unmercifully by Wisconsin fans, infact a friend of mine had his nine year old daughter get threatened by a Wisconsin fan who was in his 50"s. This year I was in Denver for the Gopher series and SOME (not all) Denver fans were giving some Minnesota fans a real bad time.

I agree the problem lies with the security people of the building and the local law authorities. I have been to every WCHA arena in the league and the security at these arenas are terrible. The cops that are there are more interested in watching the game instead of seeing whats going on in the stands. I have witnessed UND fans leaning over the glass and yelling profanities at opposing players in the penalty box, UMD students throwing brooms and Gopher parents, Denver fans harrassing Gopher fans, Wisconsin fans trying to pick fights and so on and so on. This will never end until either someone gets seriously hurt or the cops do their job which they are payed for.

Miinesota North Star said that a Gopher fan by the name of KC was getting harrassed at REA by some Sioux fans because she was wearing a Gopher Jersey. He is right, I was with KC and her dad that night, and when we were walking around the arena several Sioux fans were giving her alot of crap. It just shows you that every team has their good fans and every team has their bad fans in their own arena.

I don't think it is all a bunch of drivel. It's clear that some supporters of every team act like jerks and bullies. I suppose we could take a page from the traveling football fans of North Alabama and Winona State and write to UM's president, condemning all Gopher hockey fans for the actions of a few. Do you think that would be a more effective use of our time?

I think writing a letter to the president of the UMN is actually a good idea. If we won I wouldn't have acted the way some gopher fans were acting.

Jerseychaser,

Maybe you wouldn't have acted badly but some of your fellow Sioux fans would have. When the Sioux won the Final five at the Target Center a few years ago Many and I mean Many Sioux fans were taunting Gopher fans as they left the arena. Does anybody remember the "Golden Choker" chants. In might be a harmless chant but some Sioux fans were coming up to young and Elderly fans and screaming in their face. Like I said before there are good fans and bad fans.

My grandma who's been going to the Final Five since it permanently moved to Minnesota isn't renewing her tickets. She told me the Gopher fans were the worst she's witnessed and doesn't want to deal with it anymore (this includes BC when they won in 2001). Plus, she takes the games too seriously. Maybe that's all of our problems.

I am sure no one would compare the negative behaviour they witnessed or experienced at the X with that which they have seen at a school's HOME ice arena. That would imply a HOME ICE ADVANTAGE at the X for the Gooph's, and we know from our UofM posters that is just not so! ;)

I am sure no one would compare the negative behaviour they witnessed or experienced at the X with that which they have seen at a school's HOME ice arena. That would imply a HOME ICE ADVANTAGE at the X for the Gooph's, and we know from our UofM posters that is just not so! ;)

so with this wonderful "home ice advantage" I keep hearing about, you'd think that we don't even have to play the games...because according to UND fans it is such a big part of the outcome it makes it a auto win for us... ;) seeing as the Gophs don't win every game "at home", and other schools don't ALWAYS win when they play at home (both reg season and tourney), this arguement is meaningless and comes across as whining...give it up already! ;)

WPoS

WPoS,

Now you're being a big facetious. No home team has ever won 100% of its home games in any sport, but it's silly to think playing in front of 16,500 of your own fans isn't some sort of advantage. Home advantage in any sport isn't a guarantee of success (just ask the Philadelphia Eagles), but I guarantee you that if given the choice of playing a championship game at home or in the back yard of your biggest rival, 100% of people polled would say "at home."

WPoS,

Now you're being a big facetious. No home team has ever won 100% of its home games in any sport, but it's silly to think playing in front of 16,500 of your own fans isn't some sort of advantage. Home advantage in any sport isn't a guarantee of success (just ask the Philadelphia Eagles), but I guarantee you that if given the choice of playing a championship game at home or in the back yard of your biggest rival, 100% of people polled would say "at home."

Can't understand why this is still being discussed. Nothing the crowd (UMN or UND) did or didn't do during the weekend "lost" the game for the Sioux or resulted in an unfair advantage for either team. Giving it away in your own zone twice lost the game for UND. Not to be construed as whining or otherwise. No sour milk there - just plain and simple bad passes resulting in goals. Crowd, building or ice surface size aside - makes no difference when you put a clearing pass on the stick of the opposing forward in front of your helpless goaltender.

Did I say the crowd won the game for Minnesota? Sheesh. My point is the noise is a factor. Like it or not, it's a factor. What I didn't say was that several Gopher fans grabbed sticks and helmets and were allowed on the ice for a 7 on 5 power play. There's a difference between the two. You think this discussion is getting old, I think it's silly that a game with your fans there isn't an advantage. When you have two opponents who are even in talent, I'll give the advantage to the home team any day of the week and win 90% of the bets I make on that team.

That being said, you're right about UND's defense. Give-aways in your own zone can't be tolerated. ;)

Did I say the crowd won the game for Minnesota? Sheesh. My point is the noise is a factor. Like it or not, it's a factor. What I didn't say was that several Gopher fans grabbed sticks and helmets and were allowed on the ice for a 7 on 5 power play. There's a difference between the two. You think this discussion is getting old, I think it's silly that a game with your fans there isn't an advantage. When you have two opponents who are even in talent, I'll give the advantage to the home team any day of the week and win 90% of the bets I make on that team.

That being said, you're right about UND's defense. Give-aways in your own zone can't be tolerated. ;)

With the exception of the UW series...the Sioux have played fantastic hockey on the road this year. Noted

WPOS

As loaded dice don't always land on 3 & 4, a home ice advantage does not guarantee a win, ask Wisconsin. However, if there is an advantage, in a close game, it is not out of the realm of possibilities that a referee could be intimidated, or a linesman could hesitate, or some other human factor could be affected and push the balance over, the same way loaded dice will.

Re-read my post; I never said there was a HOME ICE ADVANTAGE at the X. I was merely stating that people comparing their "visitors" experience at other home rinks to that of the X IMPLIED a HOME ICE ADVANTAGE for rodents. If one made the same comparison then he or she agrees with the implication. Ironic isn't it?

I discredit home ice advantage for the players to a great extent, Back in my playing days, I never heard a cheer once the game started, and I played in full houses. But if there is a phenomena called home advantage, your argument seems whiny and overly defensive, or as the Bard might say: "Methinks he doth protest too much".

like I said Squitcoach, this is just getting old..no one will win the arguement so why not just let it die? If all the problems in the world were only as simple as this deal, I'd feel a lot better...

On to regionals!

WPoS

There are no excuses good enough for the behavior we suffered last weekend. It was bad in the arena, at the hotel, in the streets and in the bars/eating establishments. I believe that having it year after year in the same spot causes a lot of these problems. More and more of the same teams fans go and less and less traveling fans. By moving it around, it would help to balance those numbers. We should all expects some taunting, here or away but we should never have to feel that our personal safety is in jeopardy. While I don't believe that the Ralph is big enough to host, there are other cities that could.