SiouxSports.com Forum

High sticking

mikejm

i believe whining about the gophers "home ice advantage" is ridiculous. Don't they play at Mariucci? Is it possible that maybe Vanek might be a better player than Parise, I suppose I have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't think you get drafted #5 overall for being a lazy, no talent hack. cry me a river.

Last time I checked: the game last weekend in Sait Paul was pretty close to MPLS. I believe I am right. And if I was not mistaken Saint Paul is right across the river from where the Dirty Gophers play their home games. Yep it is.

And I must have been dreaming but Gopher fans dwarfed all the other teams fans in numbers last weekend. I was there and it was loud and there was way too much maroon and gold. There were almost way too many Gopher fans to refer to final five as a neutral site, in fact anyone making the argument that the X-Cel energy center is a neutral site is also on crack and needs to stop smoking the pipe.

That being said UND lost the game because of goaltending and our defensemen assiting on goals to the Goofer forwards, not the Mean Goofer fans making all that noise.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Home ice advantage refers to playing in your home town. Just like Denver could be said to have a home ice advantage this weekend. As far as drafting goes, Brandon was chosen 226th? overall. Does that mean he's no good or that Vanek is better than him?? How come brandon has outscored him?

Home ice advantage refers to playing in your home town. Just like Denver could be said to have a home ice advantage this weekend. As far as drafting goes, Brandon was chosen 226th? overall. Does that mean he's no good or that Vanek is better than him?? How come brandon has outscored him?

Brandon works harder than Vanek. I think Parise is heads and tails above Vanek. But opinons are like A%% holes everyone has them and they all stink.

I'm guessing the Sioux will far more fan support this weekend than anyone else at that regional. The Sioux fans travel, and DU fans do not. I work daily with people in Denver and they were oblivious to the Pioneers in '02, let alone this year.

Similar to Gophers fans cheering for Ferris last year, I'm guessing many CC fans will openly cheer against DU.

I'm guessing the Sioux will far more fan support this weekend than anyone else at that regional. The Sioux fans travel, and DU fans do not. I work daily with people in Denver and they were oblivious to the Pioneers in '02, let alone this year.

Similar to Gophers fans cheering for Ferris last year, I'm guessing many CC fans will openly cheer against DU.

I think the bigger factor this weekend is the fact that DU is missing Conner James. I think that hurts the most.

IF the Sioux play Denver. Miami-Ohio may just take advantage of the fact that Denver is missing their best non-goaltender. But then again, Berkhoel can win games all by himself. This might be the best 1st round game.

In the West I agree. However, the UMD game, and the entire NE conference should be interesting.

I think the only boring games will be the ones versus the top 3 #1 seeds in the first round.

I cant imagine a first round upset on a #1 team.

In the West I agree. However, the UMD game, and the entire NE conference should be interesting.

I think the only boring games will be the ones versus the top 3 #1 seeds in the first round.

I cant imagine a first round upset on a #1 team.

For first round games, the Sioux are the only team I'd absolutely say has no chance of losing. Parise, Bochenski, Greene, Fuher and Smaby could get thrown out after the puck dropped and UND would still win.

For BC I'd say about 90%, but UNH didn't like their last meeting with Niagara.

For Maine I'd say about 80%, Harvard seems to be playing well at the right time.

For the Gophs, I'd say about 70%.

I really don't think Miami will pose a problem for either DU or UND. Maybe I just can't get over how bad they looked against UNH and Princeton when they came to Mariucci.

For first round games, the Sioux are the only team I'd absolutely say has no chance of losing. Parise, Bochenski, Greene, Fuher and Smaby could get thrown out after the puck dropped and UND would still win.

I would have said the same thing last year against Ferris..... ;)

Man, it takes a lot to make me post here...but I just had to say a few things.

Think back a couple years, to a one dimensional, lazy on defense, natural goal scorer with a bad attitude who didnt really try all the time but when he did was a serious difference maker. Who am I talking about...Dany Heatly. Somehow he has turned in a pretty decent pro career despite his hack-like and defenseless nature...funny ;) Think back even farther and some of the same things were said about Bret Hull...and he is only like 3rd all time in NHL scoring and a Hall of Famer ;) The NHL is filled with one way players, hell half of them are on the Rangers ;) Many of the greats just focus one way, that is just how it is.

Now I am going to do my best (no seriously) to be objective. My guess is most of you will disagree with some of what I have to say and that is cool. I am in no way trying to flame or am I trolling just offering opinions.

1) Jake Taylor is a goon. So are Mike Prpich and Matt Greene. All tend to take liberties with their sticks and love to throw players around and be nasty. Every team has a few, every team needs a few, complaining about Jake Taylor and denying the "goons' on your own squad makes you look petty. Support the goons...they are truly fun to watch ;) (and to the person who said Vanek went after Parise cause he is smaller...what about when Smaby went after Waibel who is dwarfed by Smaby?)

2) As much as I love Brandon Bochenski and support him for Hobey (no knock on ZPar but the way Brandon has transformed his game in 3 years is remarkable to me), he loves to also use his stick for no good. Not as much now as before, but there are 2-3 incidents I can think of where he took full swings. Very much like how Vanek does stupid things with his stick. Sometimes great players get frustrated and act stupid. I understand, but slashing, hooking and crosschecking is lame no matter who does it. To his credit, I have never seen Parise do anything of the sort and gets even worse treatment plus he is smaller.

3) I dont know who the best defensemen in the WCHA is nor do I care. I love our D-Corp, you love your D-corp and that is what matters. Both fit in well with the style of play each team uses. Ballard would be great no matter where he was just like Matt Jones would be. They are both great at playing the game their way. No need for a pissing contest over it, it is ok to say a player on another team is great, it doesnt speak ill of the players on your team.

I guess I just dont get what is going on on the boards lately. Everyone is whining about something, no one is objective and any chance of relatively good discussion has gone right out the window. I mean it has never been as bad as it is now and I have been around a while. The rhetoric gets old quick. Are we not supposed to be enjoying ourselves...why all the hostility? (I mean this for all fans of all teams)

I apologize for taking up space on your board, and I hope I didnt offend cause I seriously didnt mean too.

Yeah I guess the Sioux lead the league in dumb penalties...I guess you are keeping track as well?

Maybe the reason the Sioux lost to the Gophers was because they didn't take enough dumb penalties. ;);)

if you want all hockey players to be angels...you'd be watching Disney figure skating! ;) EVERY team has guys that take cheap shots, EVERY team, why do you think there are refs? Deal with it and move on, we've got Regionals to talk about!

WPoS

Think back a couple years, to a one dimensional, lazy on defense, natural goal scorer with a bad attitude who didnt really try all the time but when he did was a serious difference maker. Who am I talking about...Dany Heatly. Somehow he has turned in a pretty decent pro career despite his hack-like and defenseless nature...funny ;) Think back even farther and some of the same things were said about Bret Hull...and he is only like 3rd all time in NHL scoring and a Hall of Famer ;) The NHL is filled with one way players, hell half of them are on the Rangers ;) Many of the greats just focus one way, that is just how it is.

Now I am going to do my best (no seriously) to be objective. My guess is most of you will disagree with some of what I have to say and that is cool. I am in no way trying to flame or am I trolling just offering opinions.

1) Jake Taylor is a goon. So are Mike Prpich and Matt Greene. All tend to take liberties with their sticks and love to throw players around and be nasty. Every team has a few, every team needs a few, complaining about Jake Taylor and denying the "goons' on your own squad makes you look petty. Support the goons...they are truly fun to watch ;) (and to the person who said Vanek went after Parise cause he is smaller...what about when Smaby went after Waibel who is dwarfed by Smaby?)

2) As much as I love Brandon Bochenski and support him for Hobey (no knock on ZPar but the way Brandon has transformed his game in 3 years is remarkable to me), he loves to also use his stick for no good. Not as much now as before, but there are 2-3 incidents I can think of where he took full swings. Very much like how Vanek does stupid things with his stick. Sometimes great players get frustrated and act stupid. I understand, but slashing, hooking and crosschecking is lame no matter who does it. To his credit, I have never seen Parise do anything of the sort and gets even worse treatment plus he is smaller.

3) I dont know who the best defensemen in the WCHA is nor do I care. I love our D-Corp, you love your D-corp and that is what matters. Both fit in well with the style of play each team uses. Ballard would be great no matter where he was just like Matt Jones would be. They are both great at playing the game their way. No need for a pissing contest over it, it is ok to say a player on another team is great, it doesnt speak ill of the players on your team.

I guess I just dont get what is going on on the boards lately. Everyone is whining about something, no one is objective and any chance of relatively good discussion has gone right out the window. I mean it has never been as bad as it is now and I have been around a while. The rhetoric gets old quick. Are we not supposed to be enjoying ourselves...why all the hostility? (I mean this for all fans of all teams)

I apologize for taking up space on your board, and I hope I didnt offend cause I seriously didnt mean too.

Handy I was one who is critical of Taylor, but I'm not denying Prp and Greene, and if you asked the gopher fan who sat by us he would attest to that. It's just that they are on OUR team and not yours. Therefore, we spend more time complaining about your GOONS and talk about our HARD NOSED PLAYERS. ;)

Other than that, I'm not going to take issue with your post. In fact, I agree with most of it. What is up with all the crap on these boards? Most of these threads have been beaten to death. Actually, what I think is everyone is just feeding off the last post and trying to come up with something "worse".

Oh, and Chopper, it's hardly different on your board. I know you like to think so, but it's not. Please go back and tell everyone I said so.

Thanks!

This is probably the most unbiased post in this thread (except for mine, defending Jones ;);) ...hey c'mon, I said nice things about Ballard, didn't I? ;) )

Handy...you really need to post here more often, especially with inshights like this. I say again...great post.

(and to the person who said Vanek went after Parise cause he is smaller...what about when Smaby went after Waibel who is dwarfed by Smaby?)

Smaby towers over everyone except MTU's John "Sasquatch" Scott. Besides that, Waibel deserves everything he gets for having his best games against North Dakota and not breaking his hand when he scores on the Sioux. ;)

Just giving you poop, Handy. ;) Pretty good post for a Gopher lover.

Do you like my new sig?

Smaby towers over everyone except MTU's John "Sasquatch" Scott. Besides that, Waibel deserves everything he gets for having his best games against North Dakota and not breaking his hand when he scores on the Sioux. ;)

Just giving you poop, Handy. ;) Pretty good post for a Gopher lover.

Do you like my new sig?

Man I dont remember saying that...although it does sound like me to be sure ;)

As for Waibel, it is only because Dirty had the "Anti-Waibel Fan Club" shirts! He took offense that someone would doubt his 4th line greatness ;)

I wanna see Smaby go after that Pittis dude on MTU...he could step on him ;)

We saw both Vanek and Ballard liberally applying the stick after the whistle. In the chippy first period after Vanek smacked somebody over the noodle with his Prpich skated over and had a few words with him.

From across the rink my buddy was able to hear exactly what Prp was saying "You wanna hit somebody? You go ahead and try me....I'm going to be here ALL night." ;)

This has been in the back of my mind for a couple of days and so thought I'd better clarify just in case someone took me for serious.

Obviously my buddy was putting words in Prpich's mouth as there is no way we could actually hear what was being said from across the rink. FYI