SiouxSports.com Forum

Hobey Baker

Siouxhockey03

There has been a discussion over on POI about the Hobey Baker. It turned into a who is the better candidate between Bochenski and Parise. Looking at the numbers, they are basically the same with Bochenski holding a slight lead in the ppg catagory (1.43 to 1.42).

Most people feel Parise is the better candidate. I'll agree, for a couple reasons. Parise in the college hockey world might be the player who most of the fans have heard of (don't know how to put that). He's gotten press from major newspapers and magazines. He was the MVP of the World 20 and unders!!!! He is also the best two way player in the nation!

Questions: Will getting the MVP at the World Juniors have any affect (for the better) on his chances for Hobey?

Also, do you see both of them in the Hobey Hattrick?

Also, if you see them both getting in the final 3(I dont), do you think that hurts there chances of getting the hobey?

Questions: Will getting the MVP at the World Juniors have any affect (for the better) on his chances for Hobey?

I think so... any good ink can't hurt.

Also, do you see both of them in the Hobey Hattrick?
Possibly, they are certainly both deserving of the award, and probably the top forwards in the nation. Somehow, though, I think they'll avoid two players from the same team at any cost. Especially two players from North Dakota. :angry:

Also, if you see them both getting in the final 3(I dont), do you think that hurts there chances of getting the hobey?

Yes... If it happens, voting will be split... which is no good for either of them. :lol:

Bochenski or Parise... that's one helluva question. I have no answer.

I think Parise will win it. Bochenski deserves to be in the final three, but that will not happen. Imagine what the east coasters would say about that!

I'd trade the McNaughton, Broadmoor and Hobey for a "number 8", as would all the Sioux players.

It's close...

I'd say Parise just because of the effort he gives on every shift. Take nothing away from Bo. Plus Parise has the Golden Boy image needed to sway Eastern voters.

Besides he needs this to become the first 3 time Hobey winner. :angry:

All I know, is they both deserve to be in the Top 10!

When are the 10 finalists announced? I thought I heard they would be announced tomorrow.

Edit...The list of elite players will be announced on Wednesday, March 17 at the CCHA awards show in Detroit, Michigan.

Edited by DMT

The last few years the top ten were announced at an intermission in the Thursday

night game (if I remember correctly, I may have consumed some malted beverages).

Whether finalists are "announced" at the Thursday game or not I don't know. They DO always have a little highlight video of all the finalists between periods of FF games however, so we'll know shortly who they are.

Bochenski or Parise... that's one helluva question. I have no answer.

That is one hell of a question. Before the season started I would have been sold on Parise getting it, but the way Bochenski has stepped up this season is phenominal. His defense is most improved, depsite being known as an "offensive" player, he has to be one of the best defensive forwards in the league as well. I also see him working harder on the ice than he has in the past (doing more dirty work: blocking shots, etc..), it seems like his speed has improved and for that he can create alot of havoc on the forecheck.

Earlier in the season Bochenski was scoring practically at will. Since then, he has slowed down a bit, but if he can step it up to that early season level for the playoffs, no matter how much the committee wants to give it to an Eastern player, they can't overlook what Bochenski has done this year, and what type of presence he is on the ice. A "Man among boys".

I honestly don't think this as close as what people are making it out to be. The Hobey Baker is given to the best college hockey player. Zach Parise is head over heels better than any other player in the nation. His numbers are comparable to Bochenski's and everyone else up for consideration, but consider that he's had people draped over him the entire season, and he's played through it. He never gives up on a play, and doesn't turn to the Ref when he's being mauled to look for a penalty, he continues playing the game.

Zach excels at what doesn't show up on the statistics, and that is the little things. He is always the hardest worker on the ice, no matter who he is matched up against. He can read a play better than anyone else I've ever seen. He hustles from the moment he takes the ice until the end of his shift.

Bochenski deserves to be honored, by being named as an All American. He has great numbers, but the majority of his numbers in the past two years are connected to numbers that Parise has as well. I know he did well when Zach was at the World Juniors, but look at the last 13 games when the majority of the time, he has been on a different line then Zach. I don't see Bochenski out hustling Parise, and he admitted this weekend that it's a lot easier to get points when he's playing on a line with Zach (post game interview-Saturday night).

I won't be surprised if neither of the guys get the award, but anyone who has seen Zach play, whether at the World Juniors or at UND, knows he's an elite player.

I'm leaning towards Zach. He's such a phenominal player and he works his butt off to be that player. I'm not saying Bochenski doesn't either but you can tell Zach is giving everything and I mean everything during every shift.

I honestly don't think this as close as what people are making it out to be. The Hobey Baker is given to the best college hockey player. Zach Parise is head over heels better than any other player in the nation. His numbers are comparable to Bochenski's and everyone else up for consideration, but consider that he's had people draped over him the entire season, and he's played through it. He never gives up on a play, and doesn't turn to the Ref when he's being mauled to look for a penalty, he continues playing the game.

Zach excels at what doesn't show up on the statistics, and that is the little things. He is always the hardest worker on the ice, no matter who he is matched up against. He can read a play better than anyone else I've ever seen. He hustles from the moment he takes the ice until the end of his shift.

Bochenski deserves to be honored, by being named as an All American. He has great numbers, but the majority of his numbers in the past two years are connected to numbers that Parise has as well. I know he did well when Zach was at the World Juniors, but look at the last 13 games when the majority of the time, he has been on a different line then Zach. I don't see Bochenski out hustling Parise, and he admitted this weekend that it's a lot easier to get points when he's playing on a line with Zach (post game interview-Saturday night).

I won't be surprised if neither of the guys get the award, but anyone who has seen Zach play, whether at the World Juniors or at UND, knows he's an elite player.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better myself. Bo is a fantastic hockey player, but Zach Parise is by far the most skilled hockey player in college.

I don't think that I could make a choice between the two and not wonder if I made the right one. Brandon has played much better this year. He is making a lot more plays which has something to do with the scoring lag. He was really on a tear when Zach was gone and his first few games back. Some of that had to do with Genoway and Porter. When Dean moved Colby to Zach's line, Zach started tearing up the score chart. Zach has really come on down the home stretch. Had he played all year like he has the las 8-10 games I might feel better giving the nod to him. I think that Brandon(even though his goals have been down lately) has been more consistent throughout the year and stepped up when they really needed him. I also think that there are a lot of overlooked players on the team. They all have contributed but only a few recieve the recognition. Brandon gets a lot of goals set up by Zach and Zach gets a lot of assists on Brandon's goals(even one that he shouldn't have had but I'm glad he got it anyway).