SiouxSports.com Forum

Perspective

roper1313

I put Irmen under RR as that was the last high school team he played for. RR would be tied for 6th with Warroad on Basil's list.

GF Players

Red River (7)

Ziegelmann UND

Schneider UND

Kresbach Wayne State

Eickmann UNO

G. Potulny MIN

R. Potulny MIN

Irmen MIN

Central (3)

Bina UND

Fuher UND

Gasparini Vermont

ND (10)

Fylling UND

Massen UND

Markusen MSU

Haaland UNO

Mclean Notre Dame

Sedevie Bemidji State

Grubb Wayne State

Larson SCSU

Mclean Army

Helstedt UCONN

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1,700...I think it's a tribute to their incredible parks and recreation department.  The kids grow up doing stuff instead of sitting on the floor playing video games.

The kids in Moorhead play together from the time they are mites all of the way through high school. They have good coaches throughout youth hockey.

Fargo, on the other hand is so split up. You have the Flyers, Raider, Patriots, and now the Saints and Grizzlies.

here is a start...it lists players playing last year, this year's list is not yet updated.

MN D1 player by high school

Not sure what Grand Forks has put up

Didn't Smaby come to Shattuck from S. St. Paul? If that were so, would be be listed under Shattuck or SSP? Smaby went to a St. Paul school is freshman and I believe sophomore years in high school.

Didn't Smaby come to Shattuck from S. St. Paul? If that were so, would be be listed under Shattuck or SSP? Smaby went to a St. Paul school is freshman and I believe sophomore years in high school.

I thought he came from SW Minneapolis originally. I'm sure Shattuck claims him because if they didn't I would think their total would be 0.

outstate MN towns

I have always hated this term. So every city outsided of the metro area aren't in the state of Minnesota? My brother playing for EGF had the pleasure of going to state every year, but this one and his sophomore year. When we were at PeeWee state, we beat Hopkins (I believe) and one of the opposing dads says that he doesn't mind losing, he just hates losing against out-of-state teams!

It's simply amazing that the metro area assumes every other city is out of state.

I have always hated this term. So every city outsided of the metro area aren't in the state of Minnesota? My brother playing for EGF had the pleasure of going to state every year, but this one and his sophomore year. When we were at PeeWee state, we beat Hopkins (I believe) and one of the opposing dads says that he doesn't mind losing, he just hates losing against out-of-state teams!

It's simply amazing that the metro area assumes every other city is out of state.

I meant no disrespect by use of that term. Heck, I'm born and raised in Grand Forks, and have never lived in the twin cities. My point was more that I am not as familiar with what players played at which twin cities schools, whereas I have more familiarity with non-metro schools (is that a more p.c. term? ;) ), and I believe that the number of WCHA players Grand Forks has produced recently compares very favorably to what the better non-metro schools have produced. Probably most metro schools, too, but as I mentioned, I don't really follow who's coming from Edina as opposed to Apple Valley, etc. All the suburbs are pretty much the same to me.

I meant no disrespect by use of that term. Heck, I'm born and raised in Grand Forks, and have never lived in the twin cities. My point was more that I am not as familiar with what players played at which twin cities schools, whereas I have more familiarity with non-metro schools (is that a more p.c. term? ;) ), and I believe that the number of WCHA players Grand Forks has produced recently compares very favorably to what the better non-metro schools have produced. Probably most metro schools, too, but as I mentioned, I don't really follow who's coming from Edina as opposed to Apple Valley, etc. All the suburbs are pretty much the same to me.

I know you didn't, and I meant to write in my post that I was just venting in general and wasn't directing it at you.

Maybe someone here can help me. I thought I saw in the MN tourney program that Breckenridge and Whapaton had a cooperative team. Is this true? At tourney time do they play MN or ND? Thanks.

They don't play very much at tourny time - they are in the ND league. This year they lost 2 EDC games 16-1 and 14-1 I think. In other words they are the worse team in the East every year, at least every year I can remember.

How about that Loos kid, #1 player of the game two nights in row, on the ice for 6 of the 10 goals for and 0 goals agianst = +5 (one on PP). ;) Maybe he'll get some looks from the WCHA. If not Quinnipiac's reign will start in 2005. :(

Too bad Central and Red River could not join Section 8 and play in the MN state tourney! I like ND HS hockey, but there is just not the same level of competition there...

I agree, I like ND hockey and never have said it is on the same level as high school hockey in Minnesota. I just don't understand the reason to start a thread ripping on ND hockey. We are a small state with not many hockey programs in the state and to produce as many D1 players as we do is really an accomplishment.

I agree, I like ND hockey and never have said it is on the same level as high school hockey in Minnesota. I just don't understand the reason to start a thread ripping on ND hockey. We are a small state with not many hockey programs in the state and to produce as many D1 players as we do is really an accomplishment.

CRR-

I don't think anyone has ripped ND hockey in this thread. I just started to bring some perspective to those who, after the ND state tourny, where listing a whole bunch of ND HS kids as UND prospects. I won't debate that GF has a fantastic program and IMO could compete on a consitent basis in MN. Hey I played against the GF North Bantam team that won a national championship. Maybe my view is skewed because I'm watching a great Moorhead team, but this year the ND teams don't stack up. It's not ripping, it's true.

Maybe my view is skewed because I'm watching a great Moorhead team, but this year the ND teams don't stack up. It's not ripping, it's true.

There is no doubt that Moorhead's team this year was very good. I really enjoyed seeing them play a couple of times in person and it was fun to see them play at the state tourney.

North Dakota hockey kinda only consists of the east with exception to 1991 or 93(Minot, Bismark final). Even in the east its usually narrowed to Red River, Central, and Grafton-PR. One Fargo team each year usually makes it to fill the 4th spot but never one dominant team from Fargo. I think the fact that Fargo has better football, basketball, and baseball programs it spreads out their athletic talent more. I don't even think GF high schools have a varsity baseball program yet, they didn't when I was there, they only had Babe Ruth league. Central has competed more in basketball and football than Red River in the past ten to fifteen years. Besides hockey, Red River has tennis.

In GF alot of kids don't get the publicity in other sports like they do in hockey, and the varsity hockey players in GF are already picked out after squirts and you pretty much don't have a chance at making the team unless your parents know someone. I only say this because one of my best friends didn't try in RR tryouts and made it and another friend of ours busted his ass didn't make it. The guy who made it asked why he made it and not the other, "We know your better than that". Because of those politics he doesn't play hockey anymore.

North Dakota hockey kinda only consists of the east with exception to 1991 or 93(Minot, Bismark final). Even in the east its usually narrowed to Red River, Central, and Grafton-PR. One Fargo team each year usually makes it to fill the 4th spot but never one dominant team from Fargo. I think the fact that Fargo has better football, basketball, and baseball programs it spreads out their athletic talent more. I don't even think GF high schools have a varsity baseball program yet, they didn't when I was there, they only had Babe Ruth league. Central has competed more in basketball and football than Red River in the past ten to fifteen years. Besides hockey, Red River has tennis.

In GF alot of kids don't get the publicity in other sports like they do in hockey, and the varsity hockey players in GF are already picked out after squirts and you pretty much don't have a chance at making the team unless your parents know someone. I only say this because one of my best friends didn't try in RR tryouts and made it and another friend of ours busted his ass didn't make it. The guy who made it asked why he made it and not the other, "We know your better than that". Because of those politics he doesn't play hockey anymore.

Both GF schools have varsity baseball teams for at least 5 years, and Central has won a state tournament in the past.

I don't think Central or RR have any more politics in selecting their hockey teams than Minnesota schools do, so I don't think that causes any additional problems for them. Also, a lot changes from squirts to high school and to say the team is picked when people are 10 is simply not accurate. Now if you want to talk about the difficulty of going from a Bantam B to getting ice on JV over a comparably skilled Bantam A player, I agree there could be a problem there.

I didn't know about the baseball programs and it's nice to hear that GF doesn't have those politics anymore. It never happen to me firsthand (cuz I sucked) but a few people I know it did.

In ND person for person I think Grafton PR (my opinion) has the best talent. For such a small town they produce good teams every year. I know Warroad has used Marvin Windows to "recruit" parents for their hockey program, has Roseau ever used the Arctic Cat factory in the same way or have they all been true Roseau products? I don't want to sound like Warroad has just recruited all their talent in either, I know they have always had a great program but I know in cases like Wyatt Smith, it has happened.

sandman,

i didn't say politics were not part of the process; I just don't think it is any worse than any place else.

GPR does well for it's since, but they have a fitting nickname as they generally spoil others chances of winning and making it further than expected; however, they don't win state championships very often (I believe they have 2 or 3 in their history). Still they are a team no one likes to play at tournament time.