SiouxSports.com Forum

Who to pull for this weekend

nodakvindy

While UND has a solid #1 position in RPI and that has aided their position in the Pair Wise, it never hurts to solidify that even further. Much like the Notre Dame-Syracuse influenced the BCS title game, other NCAA games will impact the the Sioux RPI.

Why is this important, since UND seems a lock for a #1 seed? Well, the overall #1 seed is the home team throughout, meaning they have last change in all games and that is a huge advantage, one coach Blais has been able to exploit during previous NCAAs.

So, here's who to pull for this weekend

UAA and MSU-Mankato - both are in non-conference action, so winning adds to our Opponents Winning Percentage for both schools and also Opponents Opponents Winning Percentage by helping all other league schools.

Denver - Since we played them four times as opposed to twice for CC, a Denver win is twice as good for Opponents winning percentage.

UM-D - Same thought as Denver, having played the Dogs five times.

St. Cloud - Doesn't have much of an effect either way, but pulling for the Gophers is morally wrong. :D

Yale - The ECAC playoffs open this weekend and Yale can add some wins, helping our Opponents Winning Percentage. They are at home this weekend, so have a good chance of winning. The farther they go, the better for us.

Wayne St, Findlay - Same reason as Yale, although these CHA bottom feeders are less likely to win.

Maine - This one is addition by subtraction. BC wins would benefit our RPI, but losses hurst theirs much more. BC is the only team close to us in RPI.

And obviously we watch the Sioux take it to MTU in the most important series of all.

and agian, UND fans wonder why Gopher fans cheer for the opponents of UND! ;):D

WPoS

Most of don't, and most of us don't care who the Goofies cheer for. ;)

By the way living in the present.

UND vs. Goofies THIS YEAR 3-1 'nuf said! ;)

WPoS

And you don't want to see the Bulldogs win this weekend? Maybe you don't, but most Gopher fans do. And how many Gopher fans would love to see UND pee down their leg and lose the Cup?

And you don't want to see the Bulldogs win this weekend? Maybe you don't, but most Gopher fans do. And how many Gopher fans would love to see UND pee down their leg and lose the Cup?

I have every faith that your team is good enuf to beat the pee-wee and his goon squad this weekend. The Cup is yours already in about 99% of WCHA fan's minds...I'd love to see the Dogs win, after all they are playing the BADgers!

and BTW, A.T.B.G., I'll remember that when someone brings up the number of NC$$ wins you guys have! ;)

WPoS

Denver - Since we played them four times as opposed to twice for CC, a Denver win is twice as good for Opponents winning percentage.

UM-D - Same thought as Denver, having played the Dogs five times.

All riiiight!! So Sioux fans are Dogs fans this weekend (unless the Sioux lose Friday)?

So Sioux fans are Dogs fans this weekend (unless the Sioux lose Friday)?

Forgive me Doggy, but I'm a fan wanting an outright title no matter how the team gets it.

I'd prefer a sweep to it.

If it comes at UMD's expense in Madison, so be it.

Sorry, I'm greedy. :D

WPoS

I thought that was covered already? You're a UMN fan which means you pull for them which is morally wrong. It's because you're morally wrong that you cheer for Sioux opponents. ;)

Forgive me Doggy, but I'm a fan wanting an outright title no matter how the team gets it.

I'd prefer a sweep to it.

If it comes at UMD's expense in Madison, so be it.

Sorry, I'm greedy. :D

Amen, Sica. It's all about the Sioux, and damn any that get in the way!

Maine - This one is addition by subtraction. BC wins would benefit our RPI, but losses hurst theirs much more. BC is the only team close to us in RPI.

I think Sagard has it right - there isn't much worth worrying about right now.

I don't know if I'd cheer too hard for Maine tonight, though. Forget BC - if Maine wins, then they flip the comparison with North Dakota, creating a 3-way logjam in pairwise. If that happens, it also puts the Black Bears within striking distance of flipping the BC comparison during the HE tournament.

I can't be with you guys on this one :D but the best thing for North Dakota to be top overall seed is for Maine and BC to split.

OK, I have a question:

Yale lost Friday on an overtime goal at 18:42

Yale lost Saturday on an overtime goal at 5:14

For the purposes of PWR, how do these games go in Yale's books?

Two ties, since the overtime goals were scored after 5 minutes?

Two losses?

I should know this but I forget...

I think Sagard has it right - there isn't much worth worrying about right now.

I don't know if I'd cheer too hard for Maine tonight, though. Forget BC - if Maine wins, then they flip the comparison with North Dakota, creating a 3-way logjam in pairwise. If that happens, it also puts the Black Bears within striking distance of flipping the BC comparison during the HE tournament.

I can't be with you guys on this one ??? but the best thing for North Dakota to be top overall seed is for Maine and BC to split.

Good call Maine fan. I had figured BU or Northeastern would loose and drop out as TUCs, which would have kept the Maine-UND comparison on UND's side. The current TUC definition is a joke. Northeastern is a TUC and didn't even make the conference tournament. To me that is far worse than having AHA and CHA teams in with above .500 records. The current rule is a huge benefit to Hockey East since they have more non-conference games and can build up a better RPI. I think it should be revised so that a TUC must have an above .500 winning percentage AND and above .500 RPI.

Also, the Yale games will count as losses.

OK, I have a question:

Yale lost Friday on an overtime goal at 18:42

Yale lost Saturday on an overtime goal at 5:14

For the purposes of PWR, how do these games go in Yale's books?

Two ties, since the overtime goals were scored after 5 minutes?

Two losses?

I should know this but I forget...

Two losses. They changed the rules either last year or the year before and anything decided in overtime, including holiday tournaments, goes into the books as a win or loss. Holiday tourneys that use a shootout to decide the outcome, go into the record books as ties.

Good call Maine fan. I had figured BU or Northeastern would loose and drop out as TUCs, which would have kept the Maine-UND comparison on UND's side. The current TUC definition is a joke. Northeastern is a TUC and didn't even make the conference tournament. To me that is far worse than having AHA and CHA teams in with above .500 records. The current rule is a huge benefit to Hockey East since they have more non-conference games and can build up a better RPI. I think it should be revised so that a TUC must have an above .500 winning percentage AND and above .500 RPI.

Have to say that the sun is shining just a little bit brighter than usual this morning. Man it's weird to have BC as your main rival. Get well soon, BU. What's the difference? When BU's on a roll, they have enough appreciation for history not to act like they invented the sport.

As for TUCs - Hey, I don't set the rules, I just interpret 'em ???

Can't say I disagree with keeping the above .500 record requirement. If anything, I wouldn't stop there! Trying to guess why these things exist is a riddle that I stoppped trying to solve a while ago.

Congrats on the first season and good luck in the second.

Cheers, MffS