SiouxSports.com Forum

Musical Goalies

The Sicatoka

Well, the Dallas GM back in May said that Ed Belfour wouldn't be re-signed.

Yesterday Dallas traded with Columbus for Ron Tugnutt. The DallasStars.com page speaks of Turco and Tugnutt as the pair for next season.

This leaves Belfour looking for work. Columbus is an obvious solution for him based on the vacancy left by Tugnutt, but there are other goaltenders is in the Columbus system including Karl Goehring.

So, knowing Marc Denis is the only goalie on the CBJ roster now, what do all you soothsayers think will happen? Long time minor-leaguer JF Labbe and former Niagara Purple Eagle Greg Gardner are in CBJ's AHL Syracuse affiliate. Former UAA goalie Gregg Naumenko and Karl Goehring are the next level down in Dayton.

Who's getting a shot where next season?

Here's my uneducated guess.

Columbus is reticent to dub Goehring as the next Arturs Irbe.  They will promote one of the Syracuse goalies and Goehring will start in the ECHL, and work himself into the AHL squad as the year progresses.  His numbers will continue to impress, but his stature will work against him.

Belfour might be done.  He has struggled some this season and some of last (I think?). Clubs again are reticent to take on board his mental baggage.  He will not get signed quickly.  He will need a break.  An injury in camp, etc to catch on with someone.

You should pay as much attention to my opinion as I pay to pro hockey.

While Karl's stature may be a minor strike against him, I think his weight, or lack of, may be a bigger issue.  I believe Irbe is about 190 lbs or so, and I doubt Goehring was even close to that w/o pads, although he may have gained a few pounds since 2001.  That was a knock on Andy too.  He was too light to play a full series of games at 145(?) lbs.  Not to say that Karl couldn't play in the NHL over time, but the comparison to Irbe isn't really a mirror.  (I think the Stars drafted Irbe sometime before they bolted to Big D if memory serves, so experience is another factor too.)  Who ends up where may come into more focus after this weekend IMO.

As dagies noted, Belfour was woefully inconsistent and quite the head case the past season or so.  I think he may land somewhere, probably as a backup, but I'm guessing teams are going to look closely before offering a starting job.

BTW:  Congrats to Karl on his impending wedding.  :D

Sorry Scott_M,

I stand corrected I retract my last statement. Althought not tall he does weight 190 lbs, I wounder if that is an inflated number. I never could figure out why a goalie's weight would make much of a difference as long as he kept the puck out fo the net. This past season Belfour wasn't very good. SO you can have good size but if you can't keep the puck out of the net your going to find yourself on the outside looking in. I am sure eddie will end up some where. I sure he won't be able to command the high priced salary though. Word is that Eddie wears his welcome out after about 5 years. I guess he is really had on coaches and back up goalies.

Here is the line on IRBE. By the way they had a few features on Arturs during the Stanley Cup playoffs on CBC and he really is a cool guy, real down to earth and well spoken. He really got me pulling for him during the finals.

Arturs Irbe 1

Goalie

Height  5-8

Weight  190

Catches  Left

Born  February 02, 1967

RIGA, LAT

Mentioning goalies with a boat anchor in their breezers, most 5'11" guys in the WCHA run in that 175 to 190 range.

Minnesota goalie Travis Weber is 5'11" and 205!

Now I'm not one to talk (definitely not), but I never envisioned Weber as verging on Irbe-esque.  :D  :(

I just saw that Gardner won't be re-signing with the Blue Jackets. So that leaves Karl with a pretty good chance of being the starting goalie for Syracuse this year. I guess he'll probably be fighting Pascal Leclaire for the top spot.  Karl has added a whooping 10 lbs. to bring him up to a colossal 160.  Olaf Kolzig better watch out, Karl is fast appoarching being the largest goalie in pro hockey.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Was rumoured during the Stanley Cup Playoffs that Toronto would be after Belfour since Cujo would be gone, although they had Cujo going back to the Blues. Did the Wings really sign him; assuming Hasek stays, that's two expensive tenders, neither of which will expect to sit.

Nice to retire after winning the Cup.

I am so happy Hasek is gone, I had about had it with his antics and whinning. I laughed after he lost the cup playoffs in 1999. Good ridance.

Although I am one of the biggest fans of all time I will tell everyone I am not a big fan of Eddie the Eagle. Eddie is a baby a premadonna. As for his hockey career. I think he is done and he is going to get run out of Toronto fast. First time he loses it and starts acting like a baby the media is going to have a field day with the spoiled goalie. I think Toronto is wasting money.

Also Belfore made me mad when he tried to say that he was better than Patrick Roy, what a joke.