SiouxSports.com Forum

WHAT DO U THINK?

DUCTAPE

DId you just give props to an (ex)Gopher!??!? ;)

WPoS

Yes. Paul Martin was fantastic and as underrated as Ballard is overrated. Ballard is tremendous offensively, but gambles a lot and gets caught out of position. Paul Martin may have been the best 2 way defenseman in the league last year, although you will get some arguments regarding Tom Preissing and David Hale. There are many theories why the Gophers have struggled this year with most of the team back, and one of the primary reasons is Paul Martin. Dave Hakstol is the one that first made the comparison of Jones to Martin and said that he is so good, he will jump straight to the pros out of college. It remains to be seen if that is true, but that is a high compliment. :)

I really really like Jones. He reminds me of David Hale this year physically. Greene is playing a lot better this year in the smarts department and his footwork has improved incredibly.

Smaby is getting all the kinks out and so he's not going to be much of a factor this year. Next year, watch out.

Bina is just plain FUN TO WATCH. He doesn't really have the size or anything to be able to play in the NHL, but he's already a crowd pleaser and he will be fore 3 more years after this.

Schneider is an enigma to me. I mean, it's almost as if the C on his jersey is tugging at him. He doesn't jump into the offensive play as much as he did last year (Jones has been doing it more this year). Nevertheless, he's already better than some of the d-men currently wearing the Penguin emblem.

• 2 weeks later...

well personally i think jake brandt jordan parise and nate zielgelmann cause goalies are a part of defense then nick fuher matt greene matt jones andy schneider matt smaby robbie bina and then for scott i havent really watched him lately but i think he will see more ice time as he plays and lee marvin is really good too and he can play both forward and defenses well

Well i like how jones and greene play. it's great! Bina and Schneider are smooth players. Smaby is improving and nick is awesome. it's a hard choice but i will go with all of them as my answer for who the best is. ???

well personally i think jake brandt jordan parise and nate zielgelmann cause goalies are a part of defense
that's very true and so is the bit about Lee

I think, in the past 4 games at least, Smaby has REALLY turned things around. He is playing a lot better. He still has a ways to go and still gets beat sometimes, but he's really improved from even earlier this season.

Fuher is on fire! Since Jones is still the best defensive dman this year (by a slim margin over Greene), I'd pair these two up on the first line for the first round.

Then I'd have Greene and Schneider and finally Bina and Smaby on the 3rd line.