SiouxSports.com Forum

Hyslop no more

Corella

I think it needs to be said how much this Sioux fan is going to miss Hyslop. No place in the NCC can compare to it, the fans at Hyslop really are worth 10 points a game. It may be old, but it is a great place to sit/stand and watch a game, a place where the actions of fans aren't under great scrutiny and everyone has fun. There are so man memories in that place, Vonesh's turn-around jumpers, Gardner's 2-handed jams, Tuttle's sweet stroke, Dave Rettker and Chad Mustard's sometimes crazy antics, Rico Burkett running the offense. The bad memories will probably stick with me the longest, and the 2 worst are probabaly the women's blow-out loss to NDSU that ended their season in the early 90's when the Sioux were #1 in the country and the band got the Sioux a technical for playing during the game, and the men's loss in the regional to USD or SDSU, the team escapes me now, during Gully's SR year when Randy Rosenquist, the 6-4 bull that he was, hit a jumper with no more then 3 ticks on the clock, and Travis Tuttle missed a 3 at the buzzer that would've sent UND to the Elite Eight. My hope is that the Hyslop will be packed for one last regular season time this weekend and the Hyslop hysteria can cause deafening noise like itused to.

Yes, I will miss Hyslop too, even though it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing facility around. I first started going to games there when I was a little kid in the late 70's, and have gone to most home games ever since. The most memorable games for me were the two classic region championship games with Metro St. in the early 90's, and the women's national championship game against Southern Indiana in 1997. The crowds were absolutely deafening in each of those games.

Jackguy, What do you mean a dump? Hyslop is great traditional basketball arena. It is not as new as Frost, but when you get the place full of fans, the atmosphere is as good as Frost Arena. Unfortunately, we have not had the place full for awhile. We have not hosted NDSU or and NCAA regional games in the building. Plus, the administration treats our students like bastard children so they do not come to basketball games. Thus a less than ideal atmosphere. The students at SDSU and NDSU help make the games fun (as long as it is clean).

Beside, overall, you have to admit that overall, UND has better (DI quality) facilities than SDSU!

Hard to believe you guys are sheading tears over an absolute dump like Hyslop. The fact a school with the reputation of UND has played in a dive like that for so long should serve as more embarrasing than nostalgic.

Coming from someone with a scewed point of view such as yourself, your opinion means nothing. That "dump" has seen more national champions and Elite Eight teams then Frost Arena, home of the high school gym pull out wooden bleachers, has ever seen.

You obviously have not been to Frost in recent years. The entire North side is permenent back seats and full of season ticket holders and both ends will have permenent seats this summer. I will take outdoor Coughlin Stadium over that Grain Bin you call Alerus Center!

jack...retard.....win the conference for MBB and lose the first game in the region...and your women's team will not do squat either.....so stop talking smack on here....dork.......here was my first ever experience going to SDSU...UND is playing SDSU for Hobo days or whatever they call it and we get off the bus...and right in front of Frost Arena....they are auctioning off a cow......unreal.....how redneck can a place get....are you kidding me??? unreal......surprised you know how to turn on a computer jackguy......worry about your teams getting kicked next year since your school is going D1 but putting no money into your programs......nice leadership......

Take it easy on Jackguy. Is it his fault that the leadership at SDSU is running Athletics into the ground? The new Pres. there was quoted as saying that she thinks more students will come to SDSU b/c they are DI and b/c of DI status alone., SDSU grads will get better jobs. ANd then there is Fred, an AD who can only stand up to his wife. So, Jack guy does not have much to go by (warped sense of reality). (and this from a SDSU grad)

The colors on the floor at Frost were recently painted and it actually looks better this year., but in the past, it look pretty blahhhhh.