SiouxSports.com Forum

Pre-Preseason Top 10

Jav Fan

What are your top 10 teams for next season?

1. GVSU - Gotta start the defending NC's here

2. TAMK - Have a great core group coming back. See you in Alabama (hopefully)

3. Valdosta State

4. North Dakota

5. North Alabama

6. Carson-Newman

7. Catawba

8. IUP

9. Saginaw Valley

10. Tarleton State or Pittsburg State

Not trying to slight UND, this is just a personal observation.

Jav Fan must be looking to stir up trouble i guess. *Not that there's anything wrong with that!* He posted the same list at GVFootball. anyways, here's my 2 cents.

1. GVSU - Like I'm going to put anybody else here :love:

2. North Dakota - A close second

3. North Alabama - Don't think they ain't pissed off about last year?? They'll have an ax to grind.

4. TAMUK - They got Whooped on by GVSU at their house. They could be a team with a big chip on their shoulders next year.

5. Catawba

6. Pittsburg State - Gorillaz in the mist?

7. SVSU - and it pains me to put Saggy there!!

8. Tarleton State

9. Mesa State - A dark horse pick.

10. IUP - The Beast of the new Northeast!! *snicker!!* :p:)

Jav Fan must be looking to stir up trouble i guess. *Not that there's anything wrong with that!* He posted the same list at GVFootball. anyways, here's my 2 cents.

1. GVSU - Like I'm going to put anybody else here :p

2. North Dakota - A close second

3. North Alabama - Don't think they ain't pissed off about last year?? They'll have an ax to grind.

4. TAMUK - They got Whooped on by GVSU at their house. They could be a team with a big chip on their shoulders next year.

5. Catawba

6. Pittsburg State - Gorillaz in the mist?

7. SVSU - and it pains me to put Saggy there!!

8. Tarleton State

9. Mesa State - A dark horse pick.

10. IUP - The Beast of the new Northeast!! *snicker!!* :);)

Not looking to start trouble, if I was I would have switched UND and GVSU when posting on the different forums. :love:

Just trying to get a feel for how fans are feeling about next year.

As for a chip on our shoulder, I don't know about that. I do know the coaches and players feel like they have some unfinished business to take care of. Last year was supposed to be a rebuilding year, but it still stung to lose in the semis like we did. Defending NC or not, that game was a bitter end to the season.

Hope to see you in Florence next year.

We really must be pumped up about football if we are already compiling our lists of top 10.

GVSU has a very big target on their back this coming season, but they have definitely proven they can big games week after week.

H*ll, its 70 degrees down here. The Javelinas started spring workouts last week. Its time to start isn't it?

I've gotta believe GVSU is not going to win another championship with a new coach.

Yeah, there are some here at GVSU who do have a lot of concerns about the new coaching staff here at GVSU, some more than others like our resident wet blanket RightTackle. But most of us feel like we should be able to do well. Remember, this is the pre-season yet, if we had all the answers already, then we wouldn't bother even playing the games now would we?? :)

I suppose there could be someone misting water on guerillas at the zoo.

However...i think you're right about PSU being in the midst of things.

Hmmmm.... looks like somebody figured out that pun there. ;)

UND was the best team in the nation last year. They return a ton of talent. Especially on offense. The defense will be fine becasue they just reload. You heard it here first. UND will be national champions! And the smelly bissssson will be b***hing again about how watered down DII is. GO SIOUX!

While I am one of UND biggest FB fans and supporters, we better not get too over confident about 2004. We all remember what happened in 2002 after the Championship season. Plus, this last year could have easily been a near .500 season - we were fortunate (and clutch) in coming back in many games. There is no question, however, that we were a very good FB team by the end of the year.

Next year, the NCC road schedule is more difficult plus everyone will be gunning for us. A few key injuries could really hurt.

Again, I think we will be very good but we better not start counting our chickens.......

While I am one of UND biggest FB fans and supporters, we better not get too over confident about 2004. We all remember what happened in 2002 after the Championship season. Plus, this last year could have easily been a near .500 season - we were fortunate (and clutch) in coming back in many games. There is no question, however, that we were a very good FB team by the end of the year.

Next year, the NCC road schedule is more difficult plus everyone will be gunning for us. A few key injuries could really hurt.

Again, I think we will be very good but we better not start counting our chickens.......

I agree that it is early, but at the same time the Sioux lose far less talent this year as opposed to after the 2001 title team. In 2001, the Sioux lost All-Americans and 4 of the best players at their positions that we have seen in Cameron Paterka, Travis O'Neal, Eric Schmidt and Craig Riendeau. Not to mention all conference type performers in Mike O'Neil, Blaise Larsen, Matt Knudson, Dave Butler, Mike Crouse, Mike Bryant, Jed Perkerewicz (God I think I butchered that spelling), and Danny Graf. What is lost off of this past years runner-up team, Ben Olson, Dokken, Murphy, Stratton, Smith, Momerack, and the receivers. To me, the Sioux return a ton more for this coming year as compared to the 2002 season. There is unbeleivable depth on the defense and a QB and RB who have proved they can get the job done. I would expect everyone t0 have an inflated sense of optimism looking forwatd to 2004. I think the confidence should be there, if it wasn't I'd be concerned.

I just hope that this will be the year we break our string of bad luck in Omaha. UND has three straight losses there--by an average of just five points. On paper, the Sioux certainly look to be stronger than UNO considering they lost their two biggest offensive weapons in Kammrad and Krause, several offensive linemen, and several of their better defenders. The most encouraging thing from my perspective is that UND will be an experienced team with a very strong defense. Those characteristics should translate into a team that can win on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

NOrth Dakota has a great program but they were lucky to beat NE-Omaha last year at home. UNO has a ton of players returning - look for the Mavs to win the NCC next year. We usually beat UND at home. I think we will run the table if we can win at St Cloud and we avoid key injuries. But we are also pretty deep.

NOrth Dakota has a great program but they were lucky to beat NE-Omaha last year at home. UNO has a ton of players returning - look for the Mavs to win the NCC next year. We usually beat UND at home. I think we will run the table if we can win at St Cloud and we avoid key injuries. But we are also pretty deep.

What??? UNO loses the best RB in the country, the most dangerous WR in the conference and one of the best in the counrtry, an all-conference TE, and arguably the best corner in the NCC, and at least 1 more all-NCC guy from a team that took 3rd in the conference. Omaha has multiple gigantic holes to fill on a team that didn't make the postseason. You can have a ton of players returning, but when you lose the franchise they aren't easily replaced. There aren't many people around who could agree with your opinion.

I am not going to predict "one winner" of it all next year! Yeah I go to GVSU and support our team 100% but I am being realistic by saying its a toss up because so many teams will be so good. All I know for sure is that GVSU, SVSU, TAMUK, and UND will be extremely good!

Best of luck to all of those teams I just listed EXCEPT SAGINAW VALLEY!!

Stay warm in Grand Forks gang!

OOT

There is a ton of anticipation around UNO about next year's fb team. We do well - very well in fact - at home and we will probably defeat UND at home. Heck we should have beaten you in GF last year if our kicker didn't "choke on a horse" at the end of the game. We lose Kamrad but we always have good replacements. RB's want to play in Omaha bc we run the ball so well and so often. We have a couple of real athletes coming in at that position. He will be replaced. I doubt seriously that we will have a decent replacement for Krause but we have done quite well before without a passing game and I suspect we will in the future. Pat Behrn's seems to think we have a juco player or two who is going to step into the 2ndary and help right away. So anybody in GF's who thinks UND is going to breeze to a conference title better think again. UNO has won 3 conference titles in the last 8 seasons and WILL be in the hunt for a 4th this year. I go to all of UNO's games at home and some of their away games and UND has lost some close ones down here. But it is not like we needed any kind of miraculous endings to beat you. We just beat you in close games.

By the way I have always wondered why pat behrns got "blown out" at UND? That guy has done a great job in Omaha and he took a program that was just awful and made it pretty darn good.

I have always wondered why UNO has been so penalized. Really though I can't remember too many players that were like Stovall. He was out of control - the game against PSU in the playoffs was an absolute embarrassment. He was a dirty player. Behrns and our former D coordinator DJ Volkelek Sp? teach our guys to be aggressive which creates some stupid penalties but also forces a lot of turnovers. I think sometimes people around the league see our team with more minorities and automatically stereotype us as being more athletic and less disciplined than other teams in the league. Don't think that is fair but it seems tohappen.

I have been to uno games for 15 years and lived thru years when UND/NDSU, etc gained 700 yards on our defense. People are very happy with behrns here. I think we are too predictable on offense which hurts us in the playoffs against superior teams. But he is a good coach - Our AD (bob danenauer) played in the NFL for 4 or 5 years and knows a lot about fb. FB is his "baby" at UNO and if he didn't think behrns was doing a good job he would fire him.

The negative I have heard about berhns (i don't know him) is that he works his asst coaches like slaves (that is why they always leave) and until this year had an aversion to the forward pass.

But make no mistake about it - anybody up there who automatically chalks the UNO game up as a win better think twice. It is going to a monumental struggle for both teams.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that blocked punt of 2 years ago. One could say though if they wanted to look at the game the other way is that UNO got a huge lead on UND and then let down in a game that could have been a rout. But you have to give UND credit. They don't quit.

The thing I like about UND fans is that they really care about their teams. We have people who care in Omaha but not nearly as many.

I graduated from Northwest Missouri State so I've seen my fair share of NCC teams. The dirtiest team has always been UNC, at least under Glenn. NDSU liked to play beyond the whistle and UNO plays extremely close to the edge. SDSU was just a boring football team so I have no comment on them. BY FAR, the classiest team and group of fans was from UND.

I think sometimes people around the league see our team with more minorities and automatically stereotype us as being more athletic and less disciplined than other teams in the league.  Don't think that is fair but it seems tohappen.

Let me preface this by saying that I really have nothing against UNO. I will admit to harboring some resentment towards Behrns due to his coaching job at UND, although I was only in grade school at the time, and the way the 1996 game in Grand Forks ended, but nothing serious. I also think that it's good for the league that UNO and SCSU are both playing at a high level, along with UND, so that the league can hopefully keep its place amongst the top dII leagues despite the recent losses of schools.

Regarding stereotyping, I guess I haven't seen or heard anything like that. I will admit that certain UNO players do a bit more of what appears to be taunting than what I like to see, but I don't relate that at all to race. It's more of a sign of the times, but thankfully it is highly discouraged at UND, and from what I've seen by most of the other schools in the NCC. That's not meant as a direct knock on Behrns--just an observation.

But make no mistake about it - anybody up there who automatically chalks the UNO game up as a win better think twice.

Trust me, nobody who knows anything about football is treating any game, and in particular the game at Omaha, as an automatic win. True, many of us are quite optimistic about next season due to the large number of returnees and the obvious fact that we were close to another national championship this past year, but past success doesn't automatically mean current or future success as we found out in 2002.

GVSU, UND, SVSU and Texas A&M Kingsville (TAMUK) are the only teams I know for sure will dominate next fall! (2004 GLIAC CHAMPS= GVSU)

I obviously want our GVSU Laker Football team to win it all one more time, but if that does not happen, and it may not, then I will consider rooting for UND. It all depends on who everyone has to play against in the playoffs.

I can tell you right now I wont root for any New England area team. Matter of fact I wont root for any team east of Michigan, or east of U.S. 131 Highway! LOL

Have a great day there in Grand Forks, as I will here in Grand Rapids, MI.

OOT