SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA

dagies

Do you mean that organization also known as the NC Nay Nay?  :(  I had lots of fun with them at the Frozen Four in Providence. :D A well-known local media figure (who shall remain nameless) told me that in his view, the NCAA ruined the Frozen Four when it noticed there was money to be made and took over the event.

Here's why I was asking.

I read how tournament schedules, locations, team assignments, etc are often due to making sure the NCAA makes the most money.

So, where does this money go to?  Is this a non-profit org or is it for-profit?  Who gets the money and what do they do with it?  Why do they need more money than to just cover the costs of administering a tournament, etc.....

Scott, I'm a little fuzzy where you stand regarding the NCAA.  Do you like the organization or just ambivilaint about it?

:D  :(

You pretty much nailed it.  The most self-serving organization I've ever seen.  Right up there with the Minnesoat State High School League.

Dagies, technically, the NC$$ is a non-profit organization.  Monies received from TV, tourneys, licensing of gear, etc. goes back to the organization.  I'm not sure where it goes, but I understand that a good part of it is used to promote the NC$$'s "ideals," as well as certain "non revenue" sports.  I am not sure if there is "revenue sharing" at the national level, but I know that the certain conferences including the WCHA have it to some degree.

Yes, I do have "issues" with the NC$$.  Even though I'm not an agent, I have to disclose the fact that I handle some business and tax affairs for sports agents on behalf of foreign pro athletes to student-athletes I meet lest they incur the NC$$'s wrath at some level.   :D  :(  A stupid organization that has as much relevance as NATO.

So, where does this money go to?

The NCAA would tell you:

Operations of championships and furthering our core values.

I would tell you:

It ain't cheap keeping "fat, wheezy do-nothing NC$$ administrators" on the payroll. :D

The NCAA has the best racket since government bureaucrats, the Mafia, professional "consultants," and ISO 9000 certification agencies.

They all (a) arbitrarily make the rules, (b) enforce said rules as they see fit, and © dole out punishments at their whim.

It must be nice to be the legislative, and executive (enforcement), and judicial body of your world all at the same time.

Where do I sign up to be judge, jury, and executioner?

Thanks all.  This is what I was wondering about the NCAA.

Without being critical, this information is coming from people who are not fans of the organization.  I can't say I am either.  I would be interested in the opinion of someone who is a supporter of the organization as well just to see the "positive" slant.

However, this info seems to confirm what I was concerned about.  It seems to be a powerful, non-profit organization that runs its show as if it needs to squeeze money out of its decisions, rather than just do what is right.

It relates to the so-called money-saving decisions not to have teams fly for the NCAA tournament regionals, if possible, and other such decisions.  I just think that the money grubbing attitude is eventually going to over-commercialize college hockey and ruin it in the long run.  And for what reason?  Not even an increase in stock price.  Just individual power.

Oh my.  They really get into it.  Literally put me to sleep.  Some insightful stuff:

No. 01-91, deleting the requirement in Division I-AA football that an institution annually must designate nine coaches to recruit off campus, while maintaining limits on the number of coaches recruiting off campus at any one time (that is, seven). (Effective date: August 1, 2002.)
No. 01-117, permitting an institution's strength and conditioning coach to assist the physician or athletic trainer in conducting a preseason medical examination. (Division I-A only.) (Effective date: Immediately.)

No. 01-103, permitting an institution to replace a coach due to extenuating circumstances or due to a coach participating on a U.S. national or Olympic team without having to obtain approval from the Division I Management Council. (Effective date: August 1, 2002.)
No. 01-95, eliminating the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse Committee. (Effective date: Immediately.)